• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Stops Monetizing Let's Plays

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Latest rumor is that Nintendo's stopped monetizing Let's Plays...

Nintendo's Turn For a 180? 'Let's Play' Drama Might Have Happy Ending

How do you feel about this?

Personally, I'm a little upset. I don't really see the gain in stopping considering how small the backlash was and how much money I'm sure Nintendo would get out of it. But really, I was hoping this would grow into a "spam filter", preventing the greedy talentless hacks from playing Nintendo games so I could finally go watch the decent ones without stumbling through their crap. But that's just me. It's not a big deal. I don't care that much. But I'm not all that happy.

Salem

SICK
Regardless wither you think Nintendo is justified in monetizing any video that has footage from their games, it's a bad move for Nintendo to take the add money, its bad for their PR and goodwill earned by being a game company, besides having game footage and earning money from it is as they say a "grey area" at worst, it isn't like it's selling pirated games.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm happy that they stopped, because now I have a chance again. ^^

:? everyone that says otherwise. Free advertising of your games when you won't do it yourself? Hey, I'd take that any day. ;)

DarkestLink

That's the general argument I hear, yeah...but I never saw it as free advertisement. This is Nintendo's First Party titles we're talking about...even non-gamers know what Mario is. And if you're deep enough into video games that you watch LPs, I'm pretty sure you're familiar with all of Nintendo's first party titles already.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That's the general argument I hear, yeah...but I never saw it as free advertisement. This is Nintendo's First Party titles we're talking about...even non-gamers know what Mario is. And if you're deep enough into video games that you watch LPs, I'm pretty sure you're familiar with all of Nintendo's first party titles already.

Yeah, everyone knows what Mario is. But who knows wtf Zeldor is? Seriously, the series has garnered only about 67 million sales in total. LPs for Zelda are legendary. Only recently has Nintendo begun to advertise for Zelda, and they used weak advertisement for Skyward Sword. :I

I'll stop making comments about Zelda when people stop calling the "guy in green" Zelda.

Musicfan

the shadow mage

I believe they were going after anything with a nintendo logo not just first party titles.

Who really cares? Whether Nintendo gets money or not from most people halfassed videos where they just make fart jokes over gameplay shouldn't even matter.

If you want money so badly, get a job.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If you want money so badly, get a job.

For the last :?ing time, to EVERYONE, jobs do not spring out of the ground. And for the jobs that exist, not everyone is qualified for them.

LPs are a) a way to give people a little stool to stand on and b) easy money. Nothing wrong with that. Otherwise we should start complaining about lemonade stands, thrift shops, and other shiz that are virtually effortless.

Me, I've applied to ten places, called them up, and made sure to dress well and shiz. I have not gotten a job, but all of these places JUST STARTED hiring. The next person to tell me to get a job is getting it.

Last edited:

ILU

i luv u
MOST people dont make a profit from LP's, so Nintendo was only taking money from those who actually generated revenue. I feel they have every right to, but that's just my opinion. Anyway, they probably stopped because they weren't gaining enough revenue to warrant taking from LPers. They probably saw that what the few successful LPers made wasn't a threat to their business and simply let the issue go since the comparably insignificant revenue wouldn't be worth the backlash.

For the last :?ing time, to EVERYONE, jobs do not spring out of the ground. And for the jobs that exist, not everyone is qualified for them.

LPs are a) a way to give people a little stool to stand on and b) easy money. Nothing wrong with that. Otherwise we should start complaining about lemonade stands, thrift shops, and other shiz that are virtually effortless.

Me, I've applied to ten places, called them up, and made sure to dress well and shiz. I have not gotten a job, but all of these places JUST STARTED hiring. The next person to tell me to get a job is getting it.

If people put as much effort in finding a job as their crappy LP that gets 17 views and generates 0.03 cents, they could get a job. Yeah. Jobs are hard to come by, but if you have the time to LP, you have time to find a job.

Doing LPs are NOT a career. If you think it's a career, then you need a reality check. LPing is showing off a cool game you like and enjoy rather than shouting nonsense for 10 minutes in futile effort to get rich quick.

Enjoy your hobby for what it is and then maybe some nice pocket change will come your way. But don't thinking LPing is some kind of replacement for a job.

DarkestLink

Maybe it was just the way I was raised (my family is snobbish) when I was a kid, but something about LPers like PewDiePie making stacks of cash without being a productive member of society sets me off.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Maybe it was just the way I was raised (my family is snobbish) when I was a kid, but something about LPers like PewDiePie making stacks of cash without being a productive member of society sets me off.

I wager at least 20% (and that's an absolute minimum) of the job holding population do not give a damn about society, and are doing what htey can either a) to make ends meet or b) because they're forced to. But, I won't debate your opinion. My own opinion is, make money however you have to as long as it's legal.

DarkestLink

Technically welfare is legal too. So is selling your pee.

And before someone gets upset....yes, I understand welfare can be a necessity for some people. Hell, I've known people who needed welfare. But others abuse and that's what ticks me off.

EDIT: And yeah, I realize people don't go to their jobs because the milk of human goodness flows through their veins...and I'm one of those people...but still, I feel each person should contribute SOMETHING to society.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So is selling your pee.
Funny story. Someone that I didn't really knew but knew of sold his pee for crack money. \_(;/)_/

And before someone gets upset....yes, I understand welfare can be a necessity for some people. Hell, I've known people who needed welfare. But others abuse and that's what ticks me off.
Ah...well, like Lucia said, LPing really isn't a career for most wannabe LPers...and it's hard to make it a career assuming you get out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom