• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Says Link is the Oldest...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
And we all understand that to mean he's the oldest era of Link. But, what's his approximate age in years? I don't think even a small question like that was asked in Nintendo's Roundtable yesterday, but I can't be sure as I haven't looked through every detail. Thanks for responses/opinions.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
I believe Miyamoto mentioned something along those lines a very long time ago....I think that was even before we learned what we did of Skyward Sword at last year's E3. I think he said this back when we only had that single concept art image of Link and Phi/Fi. At that time, I think a lot of the details hadn't been refined, and in fact, we all know that since that time, Miyamoto had upended the teatable and switch art directions. I think when they did this, they might have opted to have a younger incarnation of Link than they were originally thinking.

While not by a huge ton, I feel Link seems to have taken on a younger look since then:

nintendoreleasesnewlege.jpg
normal_09.png

Therefore, while I do believe Miyamoto said that at some point, I think what we see of Link now suggests that Miyamoto has changed his mind since then, probably in conjunction with when he changed the direction of the art style.

So, unless Miyamoto sends out new comfirmation that Link is indeed the oldest, I'm not so sure I'd believe it anymore.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I always just say 17, as that's how old Adult Link was in Ocarina of Time.

No, Adult Link in OoT was 15, since Child Link was only 8, according to an announcement from Nintendo staff themselves during an interview which I can no longer find...
But yeah, 8 + 7 = 15. Eight being Child Link's age and seven being the number of years he was sealed in the Temple of Time.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
No, Adult Link in OoT was 15, since Child Link was only 8, according to an announcement from Nintendo staff themselves during an interview which I can no longer find...
But yeah, 8 + 7 = 15. Eight being Child Link's age and seven being the number of years he was sealed in the Temple of Time.

No, he was 17. He was 10 in OoT. This was in the official Nintendo guidebook.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
I read in an interview that Child Link was about 7 or 8... hmm... conflicting facts are annoying.

You are both technically correct.

The interview Azure is talking about was for Japan however....while the Official Nintendo guidebook was in english. I've since then concluded that in the Japanese version of OoT, Young Link is meant to be 7-8 and Adult Link is meant to be 14-15, while in the US version, Young is meant to be 10 while Adult is meant to be 17.

They're more liberal in Japan xD I think Miyamoto thought people in America wouldn't like the idea of Link being too young, so he raised his age! XD

That was my interpretation at least.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
You are both technically correct.

The interview Azure is talking about was for Japan however....while the Official Nintendo guidebook was in english. I've since then concluded that in the Japanese version of OoT, Young Link is meant to be 7-8 and Adult Link is meant to be 14-15, while in the US version, Young is meant to be 10 while Adult is meant to be 17.

That was my interpretation at least.

I don't see how that could happen. It's not like there was a mistranslation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom