• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo/Other Consoles and Sega.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
now for a long i was curious why sega and nintendo co-op with eachother and what their history was. and man i came with some interesting stuff.

People who lived to see the 16 bit generation (a.k.a. 4th gen SNES vs GENISIS) know what happend between nintendo and sega, they were like in a total console war. and sega played the war very agressive with negative commercials against nintendo. like the quote "sega does what nintendon't ". now nintendo had the lead, because they have also a good reputation of the last gen. and most importantly nintendo had good games and a mascot. so then sonic came as the mascot of sega, and it had positive effect for sega.
but sega dug his own grave. they where too focused on improving there hardware. they even attemted to switch from cartridges to cd-roms during that time. and wat was nintendo doing? just sitting back and still producing good games. yes nintendo was the ultimate victor here.

now we come the 128 bit genration (a.k.a 6th gen with Dreamcast, GC, PS2, XBOX)
sega released the dreamcast 16 months before PS2 came out and 3 years before GC came out. after the PS2 came out, then sega already lost the battle. so PS defeated Sega during that time.

so sega gives up making consoles and start with game development for all consoles.
- Microsoft orderd many sonic titles, microsoft wanted to improve relationship with sega because xbox was still new and wanted many connections, like midway, capcom, konami ect...
- PS2, sonic titles where released but not much and no exlusive title either.
- GC, yeah nintendo and sega was making plans together (during that time it was a rumor)
and nintendo and sega released the first game they co-op with, F-ZERO GX/AX (many people think nintendo and sega's first game together was the olympics game with sonic and mario, but no this was the first game they worked together)
Anyway the game was a huge hit.

so now, at the current console gen, we see nintendo and sega making a stronger relationship. and still till now sega's blue mascot survived.

so my personal opinions about this.
man there are so many things you can say about this:
ironic (yeah ironic for sega indeed)
never say never again (who would have guessed that nintendo and sega would be pals)
the enemy of my enemy is my friend. (like yeah, sega and nintendo had PS as their common enemy)
I still hope Nintendo and Sega will work together in the future.

so people, what do you think about this?
please share your opinions and toughts.

(why picture? to set a little flavor to the topic :xd:)
mario-sonic.jpg

Last edited:
I was unfortunately (I'm assuming that's a bad thing I missed) for that console war. All I ever really heard though is that Sega is worse than Nintendo. And from what I have seen, the only good thing that they even have is Sonic, which I barely even play by the way.

I don't quite know how a co-op would go, but it might be interesting to see.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
well to be honest, sega was doing a great job, but i think they where too hasty on things.
like i said, they where too focused on the console itself rather on the games.
for example, the sega dreamcast was one high tech piece of equipment during that time.
so sega had his good and bad sides.

yeah, besides sonic, sega made a lot of games for other consoles. it was no well known titles but its not like that they only made sonic games.

one other sega game i really liked was, Jetset Radio Future for the xbox.
that was one of the games that i really enjoyed playing and the music is great too.

sega had original ideas, but they where not well know. sega really lacked marketing campaign.
for instance, mario strikers (charged), sega what the first one who came with the idea of football/soccer with more violent style. the title was called: sega soccer slam.
another example: the eyetoy. man people think playstation came up with this idea, they stole the idea from sega. sega dreamcast had a digital camera called the dream-eye, and they where planning to make a game to use the dream-eye 's features. but yeah, sega already gave up to make any other dreamcast in 2001.

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
Unfortunately the Sega today has become a joke of a company. Which is sad because I think a video game industry with a good 3rd party Sega would be a stronger industry.

Their biggest mistake was going the exclusive route with many of their titles and put way to much faith in the XBox crowd to buy games that weren't FPS or sports titles (yes a generalization but fairly true). Sega would have been far better served to have either been totally multiplatform or put a majority of their games on the GameCube or Playstation 2.

Sadly Sega is not likely to get better any time soon. I mean even if Sonic Unleashed or The Black Night are even decent they will mean a huge step up of quality for Sonic that he hasn't seen since Sonic 3 on the Genesis.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Unfortunately the Sega today has become a joke of a company. Which is sad because I think a video game industry with a good 3rd party Sega would be a stronger industry.

Their biggest mistake was going the exclusive route with many of their titles and put way to much faith in the XBox crowd to buy games that weren't FPS or sports titles (yes a generalization but fairly true). Sega would have been far better served to have either been totally multiplatform or put a majority of their games on the GameCube or Playstation 2.

Sadly Sega is not likely to get better any time soon. I mean even if Sonic Unleashed or The Black Night are even decent they will mean a huge step up of quality for Sonic that he hasn't seen since Sonic 3 on the Genesis.

it seems not many people are interested about this topic -.-

anyway...(god i have to stop using that word everytime)
at the start, i also was thinking that sega was going to be exlusive with xbox. now i don 't know what sega is exactly up to, but its kinda annoying with this exclusive titles.

personnaly i want that sega would be entire exlusive on nintendo...
and i think the fans who like sonic has the most trouble with it. for example: xbox360 and ps3 has sonic the hedgehog2006 while the wii gets an exclusive wii title as sonic and the secret rings.
at least sonic unleased is for all consoles and sonic and the black knight is going exclusive for the wii again.

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
Sega is so stuck in the muck trying to throw whatever they can at a wall and hope something sticks. But in this case they entirely miss the wall and it some hobo who runs away in fear.

The only games that under the Sega brand that are quality are the Virtua Fighter (and no one buys those except the people who have been playing since the first) games and game's the publish but don't develop. That doesn't say a lot for them.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Sega is so stuck in the muck trying to throw whatever they can at a wall and hope something sticks. But in this case they entirely miss the wall and it some hobo who runs away in fear.

The only games that under the Sega brand that are quality are the Virtua Fighter (and no one buys those except the people who have been playing since the first) games and game's the publish but don't develop. That doesn't say a lot for them.

it seems you and i have the same toughts about it.
yeah sega isn 't really planned. they really hope that something just sticks. its like they don 't plan ahead or something. sega 's way of marketing was really strange. first, they only focused on beating nintendo while nintendo continued with their own buisness and ignored sega. and then they released sega dreamcast early, hoping that they could have a lead start in the 6th gen but it backfired. its like they really depend on luck. sega showed good qualities, but yeah you need more then that if you compete against other consoles.

they only made a huge profit since 2006. people might think sonic is the only game that sega succsefully sells. but there are/where more familiar games that made by sega.

Kybyrian

I still own a Sega, Dreamcast, etc. They were okay systems, but they were nowhere close to Nintendo's older systems in comparison. About the only good thing about it is Sonic, not to sound harsh.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Well i found out some pretty interesting stuff again.
there are 3 upcoming games published by SEGA and they are really filled with gore. Now normally, i think its pretty rare that nintendo has Gore games. Well at least Exlusive Gore Games. I really liked No More Heroes (but yeah 2 bad the european version was cencored).
So i kinda like it that nintendo gets some pretty good gore titles all for themselfs :D

1. Mad World - Action Game
This game is really stange and at the same time unique. the game itself is black and white.
and the only collor element is blood. lots of blood. it reminds me of a comic book style.
further information: http://wii.ign.com/objects/142/14253678.html

2. House of the Dead: Overkill - Shooter Game
Who remembers or ever played the arcade game of House of the Dead?
Man i was really young when i played this on the arcade. Its really cool they bring a arcade game to the wii. well, its not the same or a remake, but rather its a new game.
Further information: http://wii.ign.com/articles/925/925823p1.html

3. The Conduit - First person Shooter Game
a Cliché storryline if you ask me. something about aliens invading Washington D.C.
further information: http://wii.ign.com/objects/142/14248157.html#aboutThisGame

well we all know who won though (war) so thats all i care about mmmmmm what would it be like if sega won

xandar

World's Dumbest Zombie.
I think Sega's main problem was that they had good ideas, but they wanted to rush them. The world needs baby steps. When Nintendo released the Game Boy, Sega released the Game Gear, a handheld system with a backlit, color screen. This is something that Nintendo did not come out with until ten years later (Estimating) with the release of the Game Boy Advance SP. For all intents and purposes, the Game Gear was better, but then, so was the Genesis for that matter. The Sega Genesis was more capable by all standards than the SNES. it had a 32 bit processor, actually, which enabled it to have twice the pixels, therefore having double the graphic quality, and it could process more sounds at once, allowing more intricate music and sound effects. Then, not too long after, they released the CD add on. Nintendo released another entire system on carts before they switched to disks.
Sega realized the future and tried to make it the present. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have worked.
It also did not work out for Atari when they tried to get ahead by using future technology to try and win the console war with Nintendo. When the NES was still big, Atari released a console called the Jaguar. This was a 64 bit system which actually had a decent few good games. I don't really remember any specifically, but I used to have a Jaguar when I was a kid.
Anyways, now that the future is here, I think Sega could make a comeback if they took it slow and released a console now. Of course, I could get all of the votes from the electors in December and become President of the United States. Not likely, but possible.
Either way, I just like video games, so whatever Sega and Nintendo do is cool with me.

zeldusfanaticus

im the puppet master
What if....?

What if....Nintendo and Sony MERGED, and became a bigger company,
think the great games and innovativeness of nintendo paired with the technological epicness of sony. Would it be epic win, or epic fail.

I don't really like the idea.

Sony and Nintendo are so diverse in their gaming style, that I think they might clash, and in the end, the games would not be as good.
I definitely wouldn't want Zelda to suddenly start being centred around the engine, or graphics.
In a way, I think it would hurt some of the franchises. However, if it did work out, then they might produce better games.

I think it depends on which direction they take as far as gaming styles and genres. If they were to leer away from traditional paths[which is fine in some cases], or change altogether. If they changed to make games with better stories and plots, then I'd agree with it.
But, if they only focused on marketing and appearance, I wouldn't like it at all.

I don't like the idea. Like Kit said above, if Zelda started being just about graphics (like most of the PS games) I would hate it.

Honestly, I don't like ANY of the games for the Playstations except Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. Sony and Nintendo would clash so badly, it would lead to epic failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom