• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Officially Announces DSi LL

GameInformer said:
2234.DSiLLMain.jpg

You read correctly. Less than six months after the release of the Nintendo DSi, a new DS iteration has been announced – the DSi LL. Rumor ignited earlier this week after an article in the Japanese newspaper Nikkei detailed the new handheld. Nintendo was quick to respond to our inquiry, stating that the account was pure speculation. Turns out it wasn’t. It’s getting hard to keep things secret these days – isn’t it?

On to the details. While Sony’s handheld PSP has gotten smaller, the DSi LL is doing the exact opposite. The DSi LL is larger than the DSi, sporting 4.25 inch screens. For comparison sake, the DSi boasts 3.25 inch screens and the DS Lite a set of 3-inch displays. The increase in screen size has resulted in a notably larger handheld, the speculated intent being to make the device easier for older users. Supporting the claim further is the addition of a new stylus, which looks and functions more like a regular pen than the flimsy piece of plastic standard to the DS. Click here for a interactive comparison on the official Nintendo site.

0066.DSiLLStylus.jpg

Colors announced so far include Wine Red, Dark Brown and Natural White. The DSi LL will launch in Japan on November 21 for a price of 20,000 yen, which roughly equates to $220.

VentureBeat has confirmed that the DSi LL will be making its way westward, appropriately named the DSi XL in North America and Europe, and will ship first quarter of 2010.

We’ve contacted Nintendo for more information and verification on the above details. We’ve got several questions about the DSi LL and are sure you do too. If you plan on jumping ship for the larger screens, what will happen to DSiWare titles downloaded to your device? Is the DSi LL intended to compliment other versions or replace them at retail? (we expect the former) Will the larger screens cut battery life? And will graphics from previously released DS titles scale up appropriately? You’ll know as soon as we do.

2626.DSILLColors.jpg

The Nintendo DS launched back in November of 2004 and now has four unique versions under its umbrella – the original brick DS, the DS Lite, DSi and DSi LL. Obviously the massive international install base makes the DS one of Nintendo’s most successful ventures, and we appreciate Nintendo trying to make their devices accessible to people with diverse needs. The question remains, will you spring for another new DS version?

Update: We heard back from Nintendo of America, who was able to give us the statement below:

“A new iteration of the Nintendo DSi system will be introduced in Japan on November 21, 2009. To be known as Nintendo DSi LL in Japan, and as Nintendo DSi XL in North America and Europe, it will offer a screen 93% larger than the current Nintendo DS Lite with a better view angle, an additional longer touch screen stylus, and preinstalled Nintendo DSiWare software. The new version will arrive in North America and Europe in the first quarter of calendar year 2010.”

So the DSi XL is confirmed for North America. Good news. We inquired about other details such as a price point and transferring DSi downloads, but were unable to get answers as this time. Again, we will keep you in the loop as new details come forth.
I just purchased my DSi about 3 weeks ago so I am a little disappointed in this. I like the current size of the DSi. Even the DSL was a great size. I think I will pass on this one. Size over Quality? No thanks... Then again, maybe they will manage to make the quality the same on the larger screen. Thoughts on this?

Last edited:

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I was originally upset when I heard the rumour because I got a DSi earlier this year, but then seeing the look of the new system vs the old one (yeesh, it's "old" already) I'm glad I have my DSi.

This new system is aimed at older players, and I have no problem seeing the smaller screen, or that's okay for me. I also have no trouble with the stylus, and frankly the pen-sized one looks too clunky for me.

The main factor why I wouldn't want this new version is as it stands now, my arm can get tired holding the DSi when playing stylus-driven games like Zelda. This new model is larger, so I imagine my wrist will get sore sooner than later. So, if that can be avoided, then I'm happy.

Really, this is a bit confusing since they brought out the DSi in order to make a sleeker, smaller system with a bigger screen. Now they've gone the completely opposite direction to something akin to the original DS. So, because of this, I really don't think it's targeted at us.

The only advantage I see is making notes in PH would be a lot easier on the bigger screen, but then the graphics will be blockier so I think the trade off is fine.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Hmmm... Well I'm okay with the DSiXL but I'm not going to jump ship on my good looking, slim, sleek, DSi. I only had my DSi since April and I'm not happy with how clunky it looks. It looks like it's the size of one of those giant 'prototype computers' which are like the size of a small house. I know I'm exagerating but still... it just doesn't appeal to me as I'm fine with the size and such of the current DSi. Also this thread belongs in general gaming.

Welbanks

My mom says im cool...
So now we have like 4 DS types and 4 PSP types I think too?
Hopefully this does not become a trend in the future, especially if they start doing it with consoles.
When the actual next gen handheld comes out, I think I'm going to wait quite a while to make sure some 'upgraded' version doesn't come out right after.

Bob Majinki

Deku Director
Alright Nintendo, screw you, I'm selling my original DS, and I'm not buying another handheld from you again.

This is a prime example on how you lose your fanbase.

Dabombster

Do the thing
Site Staff
Alright Nintendo, screw you, I'm selling my original DS, and I'm not buying another handheld from you again.

This is a prime example on how you lose your fanbase.

Because they're being innovative and trying new things? They didn't screw anyone over. I'm sure they'll do what they did with the DSi and make it compatible for everything else. All the DS systems (DS/DS Lite/DSi) can still play the DS games. It's not like they're making the DSi obsolete like the transition from the SNES to the N64.

I personally will not buy this, but am kind of excited for it. It means (hopefully) that the DSi price will drop a bit after it's released :)

Sounds like it's really just a bigger DSi. So, in other words, it's just a DSi... :P

I have no quarrels with it. Sounds interesting. I probably won't get one, but meh.

And there's a download service for DSi? I thought they hadn't done that yet... :huh:

Dungeon killer

Dungeon's Shall Fall!
What is nintendo thinking, a DsiXl, it's just a larger version does it come with more memory or has a feature that makes it that large that is so cool or is it just prank, it doesn't really make any sense to have alarger Dsi. I mean what's the point nintendo, what are trying to tell us that you guy's are going large (no hard feelings nintendo dudes)?!:D:thinking::nerd:

I still use my faithful fat DS. :) I would consider buying if if there were more games and features that interested me. I only play the occasional Mario and Zelda titles on mine, so there would be no point in me getting it just for a larger screen. I do frown on how they're going to release this so soon after the DSi. Nintendo is turning the DS into Apple's iPod. :P

I like the idea of having a larger screen. I have terrible eyesight for my age, and larger text would be wonderful. Also, I wonder if they would make games exclusively for this version?

Kybyrian

This doesn't bother me one bit, and I won't get one, because it is essentially a larger DSi, thus the name DSi XL... The quality will be the same, Nintendo can manage that, but I don't need a bigger DSi. I understand their concerns for older users, but it certainly isn't anything for me to be getting.

Alex_Da_Great

Dark Link is here...
I don't mind them making a new ds... It just look like a bigger version of a DSi so I don't think it is a sequel to the DSi, but just an add-on.

I will definately not buy it but it seems pretty cool. :)

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
That looks really nice. I heard that it isn't being released until the end of the month of maybe March, if I read the article right. I can't wait until it is released in America.

CZG

I never understood this very well.
First there is a DS, then, they make it smaller, now they make it bigger again?!
Nice (wine red) color though...

Steve

5/19/13
I am sort of glad I never got the DSi, as a larger screen may give me a reason to do so. Still, this handheld era will probably end in the next year, so I might as well wait for Nintendo's next idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom