• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Now Taking Ad Revenue from YouTube Let's Plays of Their Games

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It doesn't really matter, no but, it's more fun to talk about than like, "Who would you rather punch, Navi or a Gerudo" type threads. ;)

Someone needs to make that thread, too. ^

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
This isn't any different than, for example, Nintendo coming around and saying they have the right to all the advertising on Nintendo-based fan sites, like this one. Which, if they did so, they'd have no way to support themselves and many would shut down.

This would be illegal for Nintendo to claim ownership of all our content. They could put a cease and desist for Nintendo related content, such as sceenshots and videos. However, our editorial writing, guides, and much of our content would not fit under this criteria. The equivalent on YouTube would be if a vlogger was posting a video discussing Nintendo related products, which Nintendo would have no right to claim ad revenue on.

i for one am completely against this. what most people don't realize about this is that nintendo is not only taking money from let's players but they're also taking money from reviewers, people who are journalists who have been given the legal consent to produce, critique, and profit from their work even if it uses another company's product. most big reviewers such as ign and machinima will not be effected by this as much as smaller reviewers such as knightwing01 who makes his living reviewing nintendo games and is licensed to do so. as far as taking money from let's players, well sure i suppose they have every legal right to do so but honestly let's players work hard on what they do and have built up their own fan base. say you're a fan of chuggaaconroy for example and his next let's play is a nintendo game, are you going to watch it because he's playing a nintendo game or are you going to watch it because you're a fan of chuggaaconroy. this is a very greedy move on nintendo's part and they certainly do not need the money and are going to turn a lot more people against them.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
@nsanesk8er16

1) LPs are easy to do. I have to go through several more obstacles than most LPers and I still find it easy.

2) I would watch it because it's a Nintendo game. This guy has hundreds of videos...I'm not going to watch each and every one of them. I'll most likely watch the ones I've played so nothing is spoiled and I can follow it easily. Although sometimes I will watch famously bad games for the humor.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
This is WAAAAY too big for me, but i will say this, what Nintendo is doing is Wrong, they are Greedy, and all LP videos do is give Nintendo Free Advertisement. When ever watching an LP video, its made me want to go play it, or it let me know it sucks, there nothing bad about that. and this also comes down to the fact that, if he game is payed for, (which is not a good case for YouTube cuz you probably using an Emulator to play and record it) and you wanna make a video to comment/review it, i dont see how thats illegal.

You all remember the attack on PSN by Anonymous it was because Sony took away our rights as consumers by Forcing a patch that kept you from being able to partition you HDD and put say... Linux on it. As a consumer, when you pay for a product, you now own that product, Not just the plastic box, but the case and every chip and disk drive and processor in there. You paid for all that shiz! you didnt pay for a box that plays games, you payed for every piece of equipment in that box that plays the games. that why modding is not wrong till you are playing Burt Games that you didnt pay for.

that sound off topic, but when you look at it that way, the same thing applies to the YouTube/Nintendo thing. Its greedy, and its unconstitutional! We have Rights to what ever we pay for... Do we not! If you think, these are two Completely Different Issues, thats you opinion, by my opinion is "Your Wrong"!

then again im late to this party so, this may have already been pointed out!

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
To me, putting ads on LPs for Nintendo games is understandable. Making revenue off your work is just as fair as any other job, like building and selling cars. But I personally love watching LPs, and I agree that LPs should be made out of the mere love of making them (or for charitable reasons, like my favorite LPer Markiplier). If you're making them for profit only, then you're making LPs for the wrong reasons. Its entertainment. Don't make it into a business like all the other crap on TV, where you sacrifice creativity and content for what you think makes you money.

Will this reduce the amount of Nintendo LPs? Possibly. In my opinion, it'll just weed out the leeches and keep those who merely do it to have fun.

@nsanesk8er16

1) LPs are easy to do. I have to go through several more obstacles than most LPers and I still find it easy.

2) I would watch it because it's a Nintendo game. This guy has hundreds of videos...I'm not going to watch each and every one of them. I'll most likely watch the ones I've played so nothing is spoiled and I can follow it easily. Although sometimes I will watch famously bad games for the humor.

The fact of the matter is though not how much work you do or don't put in rather nintendo is taking away money from reviewers who are LICENSED and have been given full legal permission to publish their content and make money off it. Its not just lpers who are effected by this. I personally predict that we will stop seeing a lot of coverage that we've been seeing on nintendo games such as reviews, gameplay footage, and even news updates via channels such as ign and machinima which is where many gamers go to find out videogame news. I'm not a fortune teller or anything stupid like that but i think it's safe to say that if it plays out like this, nintendo will end up screwing themselves over big time.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
This is WAAAAY too big for me, but i will say this, what Nintendo is doing is Wrong, they are Greedy, and all LP videos do is give Nintendo Free Advertisement. When ever watching an LP video, its made me want to go play it, or it let me know it sucks, there nothing bad about that. and this also comes down to the fact that, if he game is payed for, (which is not a good case for YouTube cuz you probably using an Emulator to play and record it) and you wanna make a video to comment/review it, i dont see how thats illegal.

So there would be no issue if I grabbed my copy of Avatar and uploaded it onto Youtube with some commentary on it? I mean...it's free advertising right? Wrong. Usually people watch LPs of games they play, and I've never heard of a case where someone would watch an LP to see if they wanted to buy a game--why? Because it spoils the game! All of the puzzles, tricks, and tips have been revealed to you.

Not sure why anyone would defend Nintendo with this. Let's Plays give companies free advertising. When I watch a Let's Play it makes me want to play the game, it doesn't replace the experience.

If someone uploads a movie or TV series, then that is copyright infringement and a company should have the right to take it down immediately or to get ad revenue off of it.
But this shouldn't apply to video games, where every playthrough experience is unique.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Not sure why anyone would defend Nintendo with this. Let's Plays give companies free advertising. When I watch a Let's Play it makes me want to play the game, it doesn't replace the experience.

Well you consumers (well not CONSUMERS because LPs are free) will not be affectd by this, only the LPers will. Many LPers do it for their love of a franchise or agame, not for the money. Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant; I just think that many LPers will stick around even if they aren't making money.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
And how does Nintendo getting the profit take away that free advertising? The games are still being allowed to air.

This is contradicting my previous post somewhat, but it's also true that many LPers do it for the money. Their reasons for wanting said money are irrelevant; the fact is they're in it for the money. No money means no LPs which in turn means no viewers. ;)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
This is contradicting my previous post somewhat, but it's also true that many LPers do it for the money. Their reasons for wanting said money are irrelevant; the fact is they're in it for the money. No money means no LPs which in turn means no viewers. ;)

Yes, but that's the LPers fault, not Nintendo's. They're deciding to be butthurt about it, like EA with Nintendo saying "no" to using Origin servers. It's stupid and childish.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes, but that's the LPers fault, not Nintendo's. They're deciding to be butthurt about it, like EA with Nintendo saying "no" to using Origin servers. It's stupid and childish.

Again, the reasons are irrelevant (it is Nintendo's fault btw, LPers were in it for the money ;) ), the fact is that the LPers (some of them anyway) won't stick around for the long haul, which means people won't get their advertising and Nintendo won't get the sales that stem from LPs. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom