• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Now Taking Ad Revenue from YouTube Let's Plays of Their Games

Big Octo

=^)
Nintendo comments on YouTube 'Let's Play' situation, adding ads to certain videos | GoNintendo - What are YOU waiting for?

It seems that Nintendo, the heavenly company that can do no wrong, has made a questionable action. Now, any LP, or other video with Nintendo-claimed content, that is monetized will have all their proceeds being directed to the Big N. This is a big blow to the Nintendo LP community, especially those that essentially live off of the money they make from their videos.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Nintendo are making money off of their original products?!

I am indifferent to this. Such videos are made enitrely out of their intellectual property. They could have actually been bad guys and shut down all Let's Play's of their games but they haven't. So they're taking money that is technically theirs by rights, since the content is coming from them, big deal. I don't see that there is an issue with this.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Hey, it's not like they're getting every last cent. Last I checked, ads weren't the only source of money that comes from the YouTube partnership, and as Cfrock said, it's their IP's, so it's not as if they're stealing anything. I also see no problem with this.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I'm pretty much on Nintendo's side here and actually find their move to be perfectly acceptable and nice, they didn't ban the LP's but just removed the profits from it. So people who really love doing LP's and don't care about money won't be affected, fools that only did LP's stemming from the same company and only did it for money will get a slap in the face they deserve.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think it's good. Companies need to make more money afterall, especially now, and this is a good way of doing so. It's not very intrusive, it's not a particular detriment to anyone's experience unless you have anger problems and get angry about 20 second adverts, even though TV's had 1 - 2 minute advert breaks in their shows since forever, and movie's adverts at cinema are like 5 minutes long and we didn't care about those. ;) So, it's good, I think Nintendo made a good business decision here. Ads help keep stuff like YT free too, I don't take it for granted how great it is something like YT is free so, I really don't mind the ads at all.

I'd much rather watch adverts on stuff than see them removed due to copyright too. ;)

I'm not really sure why some people are angry with this, Nintendo have done this because they want to stop Let's Players producing money from ad revenue, which is a good thing because the videos are of Nintendo products, so they have every right to claim anything from it. If anything Let's players should be thankful Nintendo didn't take the high road and remove these kinds of videos completely.

And like Nintendo says, this will not result in any changes, only that adverts will now appear on videos if their content is featured at a certain length. It's a fair game really, I think it's ungrateful for these people to complain.

Last edited:

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
While it may be Ninty's IP, they would get ZERO revenue if there weren't LPers who were creative and funny enough to generate views. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
While it may be Ninty's IP, they would get ZERO revenue if there weren't LPers who were creative and funny enough to generate views. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

That's true but, the only people really affected by this are those partnered and who make money from their videos, and I think a better attitude for them to have is concede they were fortunate to be making money for so long from someone else's product. :) I don't think they should feel entitled to forever make money off someone else's IP, so Nintendo definitely aren't bad guys or anything, and a quite un-intrusive move like this is a good business move rather than hauling restrictive DRM into every game. :P Also, most LP'ers do it for fun so, I doubt they'll really care.

Following on from that actually, I have a question for people about this; are Nintendo taking all revenue, or just a %?

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
This Content ID stuff is complex and mysterious thing. I'm not making money from Nintendo walkthroughs, but this still looks like bad news - a video with a Content ID match and advertisement doesn't look bad, but I think many videos like that may result in account status being "Not in Good Standing" under Content ID section, and the ability to upload videos longer than 15 minutes will be removed. I don't want that.

TL;DR - You can place the ads, but I want 15min+ videos, even if I could have hundreds of videos with content from your games uploaded into my YouTube account.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
People don't make money from the games, they make money from the commentary - the games are just a way to facilitate users actually listening to the commentary. This is a huge dick move by Nintendo, but it IS their right. So...yeah. Don't like the movement but it's legit either way, so I can't complain much.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Wow, so idiots on YouTube are *****ing about this, saying things like Nintendo is greedy, trying to make up for the lack of sales of the Wii U, and -- wait for it -- YET AGAIN that they're going to become the next SEGA. You know... like they've said for the past TWO GENERATIONS. Despite it never happening due to them always selling well, people always seem to jump at every little thing the Big N does just to hate on them and pray to God they fail. Meanwhile, Sony is losing millions of dollars due to them neglecting the Vita while it's getting raped in the mouth by the 3DS, and PS3 sales are dropping. Sony has an infinite amount of less money in the bank from gaming profits, yet no one bats an eyelash at this. Ugh. Nintendo haters are so ridiculously stupid it almost makes my IQ drop.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Wow, so idiots on YouTube are *****ing about this, saying things like Nintendo is greedy, trying to make up for the lack of sales of the Wii U, and -- wait for it -- YET AGAIN that they're going to become the next SEGA.

1) Nintendo is starting to BECOME greedy...they haven't always been like this
2) Of course they're trying to make up for the lack of sales...but in ALL THE WRONG WAYS. Instead of removing partnership bling - probably the only pocket change that partners can even get - Nintendo could get off their ***** and start ADVERTISING the Wii U...and better yet, start RELEASING OR REVEALING SOME GOOD GAMES. You know, with TV spots and stuf, maybe stop making the system sound like an upgrade to the Wii.
3) I lol at the idea of Nintendo ever becoming like SEGA.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
1) Nintendo is starting to BECOME greedy...they haven't always been like this

Pretty sure they're not. They're reaching out to third party developers to try to gain their respect again and make things up to gamers that couldn't play all those AAA multiplatform titles in the 7th generation.

2) Of course they're trying to make up for the lack of sales...but in ALL THE WRONG WAYS. Instead of removing partnership bling - probably the only pocket change that partners can even get - Nintendo could get off their ***** and start ADVERTISING the Wii U...and better yet, start RELEASING OR REVEALING SOME GOOD GAMES. You know, with TV spots and stuf, maybe stop making the system sound like an upgrade to the Wii.

Multiple system sellers will be coming out this year, and they are beginning to advertise the Wii U. Even if they are trying to make up for their loss on the Wii U... is that a bad thing? They're a business, and they need to make money. What they're doing is not harming anything. Honestly, if you got into LP's because you wanted to make money -- on IP's that are NOT YOURS -- you missed the entire point. LP's... hell, YouTube in general, is supposed to be for entertainment, not a means to make a living. It's supposed to be a sort of free TV station where you can watch what you want when you want. And, again, it's not like they're blocking the videos. They're just getting money that's rightfully theirs. Big ****ing deal.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Multiple system sellers will be coming out this year, and they are beginning to advertise the Wii U. Even if they are trying to make up for their loss on the Wii U... is that a bad thing? They're a business, and they need to make money. What they're doing is not harming anything. Honestly, if you got into LP's because you wanted to make money -- on IP's that are NOT YOURS -- you missed the entire point. LP's... hell, YouTube in general, is supposed to be for entertainment, not a means to make a living. It's supposed to be a sort of free TV station where you can watch what you want when you want. And, again, it's not like they're blocking the videos. They're just getting money that's rightfully theirs. Big ****ing deal.

Again, LPs are not meant for the actual video game content themselves, they're meant for the COMMENTARY. People have rough lives. They either can't get a job because of predicaments or cannot take on multiple ones for exhaustion. So, they turn to easier things like being a partner on YouTube and creating a bunch of voiced lines and stuff. Taking the money is a dick move whether you agree with it or not, whether it's right or wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom