• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Nintendo has Zelda Wii U Footage, But Didn't Show it

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Nintendo has Zelda Wii U footage, but they were too arrogant to show it.
Miyamoto said:
"My thing with E3 is that we always focus on what's coming out in the immediate future. We have some really great Zelda footage and, at some point we will be showing that off, but not today."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/e3-2015-the-legend-of-zelda-still-coming-to-wii-u
This is extremely crappy of them to do. They really needed Zelda Wii U at this years E3.
They needed the hype for this, but instead, they just pissed off Metroid and Animal Crossing fans.
Please Understand Nintendo.

Well it was Mario's 30th and they did say Zelda U wasn't going to be at E3. But they also said E3 was going to be just for WiiU and 2015 releases.. both didn't pan out that way so there was still hope for us to see something Zelda U related.

I myself thought Nintendo was going to bring their A game this year becasue Wii U desperately needs games, not games like Kirby's Rainbow Paintbrush/Curse, but heavy hitters like Metroid Prime 4, a proper 3D Mario game and Zelda U...

The fact that they have made spin off after spin off and filler after filler and even a port (HW3D) to show at E3 makes it look like to me that Zelda U slipping has really hurt them. If Zelda U had been shown in the middle of the uninspiring games we were shown this year we probably would have been less critical on them because we saw some Zelda U and it'd be releasing as a diamond in a sea of dirt... But instead with it slipping into 2016 nothig that we have to look forward to really worth the asking price.

Blast Ball looked like an Metroid Inspired budget Eshop game, not an actual Metroid game and Federation Force just... ugh. Animal Crossing got its Mario Party spin off title to flog more amiibo... it looks like all of these would be budget titles, apps and spin offs were going to hid in Zelda U's shadow...

Nintendo have nothing this year that we know of right now that'll bring them huge sales without Zelda U. Purists and elitists might buy the Animal Crossing 3DS and Wii U spin offs just because they need everything that has Animal Crossing on the box, same with Federation Force, same with Tri Force Heroes if I'm honest...

Really not having Zelda U there has hurt Nintendo pretty badly i think. Xenoblade X may be coming but i know its lost a few sales with needing a ten gig day one patch just to speed up its load screens. There doesn't seem to b much interest around Devil's Third or Fatal Frame either to help bolster sales and Starfox looks disappointing at best and hands on feedback doesn't bode well...

Now that we've seen their E3 plans and until we know better via a future Direct it looks like Zelda U slipping into 2016 really isn't something they'd wanted to happen...

It all now depends on when in 2016 they want to release Zelda U. Will they release near the beginning of the year to help push sales and profits for the financial year, or will they hype it up until E3, have it playable and release it afterwards?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Maybe they wanted to avoid hyping it up too much considering we have no idea when it's gonna release? Still would have at least appreciated a picture or 2, or maybe some concept art.
Yeah, I agree with this. I wanted them to at least throw us a bone, or anything to hold us over. But instead of information, we got a spin-off game. I would have preferred we just get info, tbh.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
It'll be released in November next year. I don't know why people thought it'd release this year when they stated otherwise. They obviously have some kind of footage, but it's just not polished enough to show off or in an advanced stage.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
It'll be released in November next year. I don't know why people thought it'd release this year when they stated otherwise. They obviously have some kind of footage, but it's just not polished enough to show off or in an advanced stage.
Zelda looked good enough to show a year ago, or even 7 months ago. It looks pretty polished.
More polished than Star Fox at the very least....
Miyamoto is also implying that they have plenty of stuff to show now, they were just arrogant enough to think that they could get by with only Star Fox as their New Wii U reveal.
Like i said. I didn't think it would release this year. But they really should have given us information on the subject. Just Aonuma popping in saying, "Hey, development is going well. I will show off Zelda Wii U by the end of the year, but until then, I hope you enjoy this cool new Spin-off title".

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
To be honest I think the footage from last year was enhanced to make it look more polished than what it actually was. Notice how the demo they showed at the Game Awards was zoomed out so we could hardly see how the game looked in real time.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
To be honest I think the footage from last year was enhanced to make it look more polished than what it actually was. Notice how the demo they showed at the Game Awards was zoomed out so we could hardly see how the game looked in real time.
Well, that was more of a conscious decision I believe.
I mean, the decision to show off Zelda was only a week in advance.
Yeah, they could have used a capture card, but that would take extra editing and syncing in order to actually make, and the footage needed to be translated, proofread, and scrubbed so that they don't say a false portrayal of the game.
They needed to have the footage at least 3 days in advance in order for the GA to place it in, rehearse, ect.
So that would have given them only 4 days(At the most) to plan, excecute, and make a high quality video where they need to show off the game while not releasing too much information.
At this point, I take Aonuma's word for the fact that the first E3 trailer was made using the in-game engine and real gameplay, with a developer camera for a cinematic view.
I don't think it was the graphics that were the reason it was delayed. I think it was more the lack of content in this huge world.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
What I find the most irritating is:

1) They had Zelda U footage that they could've just as easily used for this year's E3 alongside TFH and HWL for the Zelda part of the digital event. But they chose not to so they can focus more on hyping Starfox Zero and Super Mario Maker while in the meantime also hyping TFH and HWL.

2) I bothered by the lack of any confirmation on whether TFH is even going to be canon, when it's supposed to set place, and whether the game is a spinoff or main series game. I'm honestly tired of hearing TFH be called a spinoff when the game has the full official mainline game title style logo, where it has "The Legend of Zelda" in the title in the same format as all the main series games. So it has to be a main series game.

3) The fact that even though they said that Zelda U will still be on Wii U, when in reality, it's actually be moved to the NX. :(

4) The whole teasing lack of Zelda info in general. Yeah, they showed TFH and HWL but we still know very little about them and that really annoys and bugs the heck out of me.

I feel that if they had given us more details on TFH, HWL, and finally at least some progress update on Zelda U, maybe show some of the footage they had already, their Zelda segment of E3 would've been much better received. But nope, instead, they're still continuing to pull the lack of info card.

Skullkid96

Aperture Test Subject #2
What I find the most irritating is:

1) They had Zelda U footage that they could've just as easily used for this year's E3 alongside TFH and HWL for the Zelda part of the digital event. But they chose not to so they can focus more on hyping Starfox Zero and Super Mario Maker while in the meantime also hyping TFH and HWL.

2) I bothered by the lack of any confirmation on whether TFH is even going to be canon, when it's supposed to set place, and whether the game is a spinoff or main series game. I'm honestly tired of hearing TFH be called a spinoff when the game has the full official mainline game title style logo, where it has "The Legend of Zelda" in the title in the same format as all the main series games. So it has to be a main series game.

3) The fact that even though they said that Zelda U will still be on Wii U, when in reality, it's actually be moved to the NX. :(

4) The whole teasing lack of Zelda info in general. Yeah, they showed TFH and HWL but we still know very little about them and that really annoys and bugs the heck out of me.

I feel that if they had given us more details on TFH, HWL, and finally at least some progress update on Zelda U, maybe show some of the footage they had already, their Zelda segment of E3 would've been much better received. But nope, instead, they're still continuing to pull the lack of info card.
how do you know it was moved to the NX

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Okay so Reggie went and explained why they didn't show anything, and like a lot of us guessed, it was because its release was too far off.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/18/reggie-explains-why-nintendo-didnt-show-zelda-wii-u-at-e3-2015/

Still would have appreciated a little something about it, though,
That is such a cop out and they know it.
Listen...
Did showing off Mariokart 8 when it was a whole 2 years away stop nintendo from showing it and being completely hype?
Did showing off Smash 2 years before release completely kill of the hype?
Did showing off A Link Between worlds a whole 11 months before release stop them from announcing it in January 2013?
Did that stop them from showing Fire Emblem Fates(and SMTxFE) a full year before we will get it in the states
Did that stop them from showing Xenoblade X in 2013
Did that stop them from showing twilight princess
Did that stop them from showing Wind Waker
Did that stop them from showing Skyward Sword
Hell, did that stop them from showing off Zelda Wii U at E3 2014 when it had a holiday 2015 release date?!
Unless Zelda isn't coming until 2017 they have very little excuse. They should have shown their biggest games, both present and future at this conference, and that is why they are getting so much backlash. They can "justify" it all they want, but that isn't going to stop fans from being utterly disappointed.

Zelda isn't a system seller anymore. Sadly, the franchise's sales have been on decline for some time now. The lack of this announcement won't destroy Nintendo's stocks. Yes, it was a bummer to hear that we would get no Zelda news back in March, but I know the final product will be fantastic. I can wait.

I do think Nintendo could have been more transparent in its communication, however. I saw quite a few people on other gaming sites saying the delay of Zelda Wii U could mean Nintendo has a jam packed E3. Then, the announcement of a separate Smash direct and a few game showcases at the Nintendo World Championships further cemented this belief.

It's funny because I think if Nintendo said a few months before that this wouldn't be its biggest E3, as it prepares for the launch of the NX, a few weeks beforehand and showed the Smash DLC, Earthbound Beginnings, and Federation Force (dropping the Metroid name completely) as part of the Digital Event, most people would be satisfied.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Zelda isn't a system seller anymore. Sadly, the franchise's sales have been on decline for some time now. The lack of this announcement won't destroy Nintendo's stocks. Yes, it was a bummer to hear that we would get no Zelda news back in March, but I know the final product will be fantastic. I can wait.

I do think Nintendo could have been more transparent in its communication, however. I saw quite a few people on other gaming sites saying the delay of Zelda Wii U could mean Nintendo has a jam packed E3. Then, the announcement of a separate Smash direct and a few game showcases at the Nintendo World Championships further cemented this belief.

It's funny because I think if Nintendo said a few months before that this wouldn't be its biggest E3, as it prepares for the launch of the NX, a few weeks beforehand and showed the Smash DLC, Earthbound Beginnings, and Federation Force (dropping the Metroid name completely) as part of the Digital Event, most people would be satisfied.
Actually.... It has effected stocks... The lack of announcements at e3 has already caused Nintendos stocks to drop by 3%....
I do agree with their presentation though. Some guy used the same footage we have seen from e3, did a days worth of editing, and released it and it was way better than Nintendo's digital event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom