• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors Nintendo has lost its trademark for Hyrule Warriors as of May 18, 2016.

From ZI. So basically the same crew that run this place. But at least we can chat about it here.
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/nintendos-trademark-on-hyrule-warriors-has-been-abandoned
Nintendo has lost its trademark for Hyrule Warriors as of May 18, 2016. The US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) abandoned the trademark after Nintendo failed to provide an application for the trademark, or proof that the renewal for Hyrule Warriors was pending. Europe and Japan both have disbanded the trademark, though both countries did so earlier this year. Europe surrendered the trademark on November 12, 2015, and Japan retired the trademark on August 25, 2015, but since Japan's title for Hyrule Warriors is Zelda Musou, it is likely this action will not impact the game sales as much in Japan.

While it is unclear what exactly caused Nintendo to lose the trademark, it is clear that the company was given time to respond with an application for the USPTO. On October 20, 2015, an official Suspension Inquiry was sent to Nintendo by the USPTO, and the company was given six months to settle the issue. However, Nintendo neglected to do so, and on March 26, 2015, the trademark attorney suspended the trademark. We do not know how the issue of the abandoned trademark will effect Hyrule Warriors or Hyrule Warriors: Legends within the US and Europe, but we are sure that the issue will be resolved.

Here's all the relevant legal jargon for your reading pleasure:

Abandoned because the applicant failed to respond or filed a late response to an Office action. To view all documents in this file, click on the Trademark Document Retrieval link at the top of this page.
The trademark examining attorney is suspending action on the application for the reason(s) stated below. See 37 C.F.R. §2.67; TMEP §§716 et seq.

FOREIGN REGISTRATION: Applicant is required to provide a true copy, a photocopy, a certification, or a certified copy of a foreign registration from applicant’s country of origin that will be in force at the time the United States registration issues. 15 U.S.C. §1126(e); 37 C.F.R. §2.34(a)(3)(ii)-(iii); In re Societe D’Exploitation de la Marque Le Fouquet’s, 67 USPQ2d 1784, 1788-89 (TTAB 2003); TMEP §§1003.04(a)-(b), 1004.01, 1004.01(a). Action on this application is suspended until the USPTO receives a copy of such foreign registration or proof of its renewal. TMEP §§716.02(b), 1003.04(a)-(b), 1004.01(a). If the foreign registration or renewal document is not in English, applicant must provide an English translation. 37 C.F.R. §2.34(a)(3)(ii)-(iii); TMEP §1004.01(b). Further, applicant should notify the trademark examining attorney in the event that the foreign application abandons or the foreign registration is not renewed. See TMEP §§1003.08, 1004.01(a). In such case, applicant may amend the application to rely on another basis, if appropriate, and will retain the priority filing date, if applicable. TMEP §§1003.08, 1004.01(a).

TO AVOID ABANDONMENT OF APPLICANT’S TRADEMARK APPLICATION, THE USPTO MUST RECEIVE APPLICANT’S COMPLETE RESPONSE TO THIS LETTER WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF THE ISSUE/MAILING DATE BELOW.

ISSUE/MAILING DATE:

X FOREIGN REGISTRATION: The trademark examining attorney previously suspended action on this application pending receipt of a true copy, a photocopy, a certification, or a certified copy of a foreign registration from applicant’s country of origin or proof of renewal of the foreign registration.

Applicant must specify the status of the relevant foreign application or registration renewal. TMEP §§716.02(b), 716.05, 1003.04(c); see 15 U.S.C. §1126(e); 37 C.F.R. §2.34(a)(3)(ii)-(iii).

Applicant must respond to this inquiry to avoid abandonment and may do so by (1) stating that the foreign application or renewal is still pending or (2) submitting a true copy, a photocopy, a certification, or a certified copy of the foreign registration or renewal document. TMEP §§716.05, 1003.04(c), 1004.01(a). If the foreign registration or renewal document is not in English, applicant must provide an English translation. 37 C.F.R. §2.34(a)(3)(ii)-(iii); TMEP §1004.01(b).

CIVIL PROCEEDING(S): The trademark examining attorney previously suspended action on this application pending termination of a civil proceeding(s) relevant to the registrability of applicant’s mark.

Applicant must specify the status of the civil proceeding(s). TMEP §§716.02(d), 716.05.

Applicant must respond to this inquiry to avoid abandonment and may do so by (1) providing a statement that the civil proceeding(s) is still pending, (2) specifying that the proceeding has been stayed and the reason for such stay to determine if removal from suspension is appropriate, or (3) specifying that the proceeding(s) has been terminated and providing a copy of any final decision or relevant agreement. See TMEP §716.05.

Nintendo never responded, and thus we are where we are today. Of note, Sony had this happen with The Last Guardian and was able to get the trademark back. It's likely Nintendo will still try to get the trademark back, though this does open the door for others to attempt to get it.

Pardon me if I'm wrong my understanding is very little, but if they don't have the trademark anymore can't anyone retrademark it and then it's theirs?

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
They may not have the trademark for "Hyrule Warriors" but I believe the term "Hyrule" is still theirs. No other company can make a game that has the word Hyrule in it. So Sony couldn't do "Uncharted: Destination Hyrule" or MS do "Halo: Hyrule".

They may not have the trademark for "Hyrule Warriors" but I believe the term "Hyrule" is still theirs. No other company can make a game that has the word Hyrule in it. So Sony couldn't do "Uncharted: Destination Hyrule" or MS do "Halo: Hyrule".
What if they always say Hyrule Warriors would that still count or only if they JUST say Hyrule?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
What if they always say Hyrule Warriors would that still count or only if they JUST say Hyrule?

I think you aren't getting it there malon ^^, the word Hyrule is trademarked to nintendo (as far as i am aware) so no they couldn't use that word in any title or says, ditto on most of the characters.

Also @yaka17 the DLC already exists it just hasn't been distributed, for something like HWLs and HW the DLC was likely made a month after the game released, either way it won't impact the DLC to come.

All this means is we've seen the last of Hyrule Warriors for the time being.

Pardon me if I'm wrong my understanding is very little, but if they don't have the trademark anymore can't anyone retrademark it and then it's theirs?
As far as I know yes. Also having Hyrule trademarked does not mean you also own Hyrule Warriors or anything else trademarked. Trademarking is a very specific thing.

There is only two reasons for this.
  1. Nintendo know about this and this was allowed to happen for a specific reason
  2. Nintendo forgot and let it lapse. We can shake our head at Nintendo if this was the case

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles

Like @Cthulhu said, the trademark is specific to Hyrule, but using it in any way is a violation of trademark. So I couldn't make Hyrule Pinball or Hyrule Archery or Hyrule Farm Sim or any game that has the word Hyrule in it, since Hyrule belongs to Nintendo. Even if it had nothing to do with The Legend of Zelda series.

There are some exceptions to trademarking and owning a trademark on something, but for the most part, Nintendo owns it, and no one can use it.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??
de48f70b275eb56abb018daaa4981e52.jpg

I'm not a legal expert, but common sense is telling me they may not need to file copyright on every specific iteration of a creative work. It may save them time, legal fees, whatever, not to. If I were to make a game called Hyrule Warriors 2 and Nintendo sued me, my excuse of "but you didn't file your paperwork therefore Hyrule Warriors is now in the public domain" probably wouldn't hold much water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom