• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo E3 2014 Digital Event and Treehouse LiveStream

Fig

The Altruist
Today was the live Digital Event for Sony and the PlayStation staff. The games that we saw throughout the press conference included the following:
  • Super Smash Bros. 4
  • amiibo
  • Yoshi's Wooly World
  • Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Pokemon OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X

So the Digital Events starts off with a Robot Chicken style of. Later on we get a fighting sequence between Reggie and Mr. Iwata. The sequence got intense and we later found out that As it turns out Mii Fighters will be playable charactes for the upcoming Smash games. We also got a glimpse at how the NFC figures will be used here was also a release date date for Smash 3DS for October 3rd, 2014.

Amiibo is the new method/system that uses the NFC figures and when you put the figures on the special area on the Gamepad. It looks very interesting and Smash 4 will be the first game to use amiibo this Holiday season.

Yoshi's Wooly World was the next game revealed and it looks adorable! Using yarn as the main concept of the game, it looks incredible! Similar in design with Kirby's Epic Yarn, Yoshi's Wooly World uses yarn and cloth to interact with the surroundings and looks more developed than Kirby's Epic Yarn! Two player co-op has also been confirmed to be part of Yoshi's Wooly World! It's going to bring a lot of fun two player and it's going to be available in 2015.

Next we got a look at Captain Toad from Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 3D World. In fact, he's going to be the main character in his new game, Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker that will be available

Now, we get a look at The Legend of Zelda. Mr. Aonuma states that about how the Zelda changed from the originals to when the Zelda franchise jumped into 3D. When the series came into the 3D, Mr. Aonuma stated that because of that change it was hard to bring back the feel of a fast-paced world like in the originals. We then get a quick glimpse at the art style and what the game has to offer! We unfortunately don't get an official title of the game, but the

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire was also revealed! We get a lot of things revealed from Gym Leaders, to Steven Stone, to the Hoenn Starter Mega Evolutions, to the layout of the game! It looks amazing and the game will be available on November 21,2014!

Bayonetta 2 was also revealed after ORAS adn the content in this game looks incredible! It really captures the feel of the original Bayonetta! In fact, Bayonetta 2 will come packed with the original Bayonetta game as part of the game! Awesome!

Hyrule Warriors was later revealed! As we know, Hyrule Warriors is based off Dynasty Warriors with the world and environment of Zelda. It was also confirmed that this game is in fact able to have two player co-op! From what was mentioned from the devlopers and trailer, Zelda and Midna will be playable characters and the game will available for the Wii U on September 26,2014!

A brand Kirby game has also been revealed entitle Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. The gameplay looks amazing and similar to Kirby's Canvas Curse back on the DS and I loved that game! The game is set to be released in 2015.

Xenoblade Chronicles X was also given a better and new look and it looks gorgeous! The game looks gorgeous and I'm sure it is going to play great! I can't wait to try out Xenoblade Chronicles X!

Reggie comes back talking about Smash and states about the Invitational and before he left we got one more glimpse! We then get a trailer for a new trailer for Smash. IT then cuts into a style of anime based on the Kid Icarus: Uprising mini anime back in 2011 and we see Pit and Link duke it out! Later, Palutena joins the scene will be a playable character for Smash 4!

We got a better look at amiibo and how it works for Smash 4 on the Wii. Amiibo will allow you to potentially customize your own characters and will get stronger the more you use amiibo. I can't wait to collect these figurines and use amiibo to further advanced my amiibos and increase my skills as a fighter.

Developer games were also announced for Nintendo, they all look incredible and nice. Games like Ace Attorney, A.N.N.E, Moon Chronicles, Shantae, just to name a few titles will be available for the Wii U and/or 3DS later this year at the Nintendo eShop.

More will be reveal throughout E3 via Nintendo's Treehouse Live Stream. OP will be updated as more information is added.

Mido

Version 1
A nice rundown of the showing, Fig. Here's what stood out to me:

The new Legend of Zelda is an obvious choice. The approach takes an open world style, and I can see it work. More liberty for the player is often a good think in the series. I also like Link's design. I get a cockier edge from him, and to be honest, he kind of reminds me of Ratchet of the Ratchet and Clank franchise. So far, a definite must on my list!

Splatoon earns my second place spot. A shooter that takes notes from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater's Graffiti mode. I like the team concepts, and the entire game looks great. Another definite buy on my list.

Hyrule Warriors is a game I am enjoying to learn about, but as a huge Dynasty Warriors fan, the news I heard today is nothing that I didn't already expect. The Legend of Zelda has a multitude of characters to be used, so this game should definitely have an amazing roster. The bosses in the game add a new twist to the Warriors gameplay formula, which should ultimately be exciting. For those who may not like the repetitive nature of said gameplay, the boss formula should add a pinch of strategy to a formula I enjoy!

It's a shame that my computer tuned out to Toad's new game. A game with Toad leading the adventure sounds like a welcome avenue of fun. I'll have to check it out. Smash Bros continues to amaze me, with two (and more) new characters added to the game! Kirby and the Rainbow Curse sounds like another good time with the K-man again, which I missed whether it was for the U or 3DS. Since I don't own a 3DS, I could not get as hyped as I was for the Wii U news. On a final note, the Bayonetta package looks worth it. A good presentation by Nintendo. :yes: In the meantime, I still need to control my Star Fox glee!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'll analyse what I saw. Ok so this was by far the best presentation this ye-- wait, lol, did I just go to say that? No, it was by far the worst.

Why was it bad? I'll explain. So it wasn't bad in the sense that every game announced sucked, I didn't really mind what I saw; however it needed to meet a certain standard. This standard is set by expectations from fans and their competitors. Sony and Microsoft have set the bar in both of their respective press conferences showing that they too are about the games. Having watched both I made my mind up that Sony did the better, but both provided a strong line up of games and sheer quality (purely an interpretation), so there was probably at least 3 or 4 games where you said "that right there, that's a console seller". Was this met in Nintendo's Direct? Plain and simply put, no, they didn't come close.

Yarn Yoshi, or whatever it's called, Kirby, and what seemed like Toad Galaxy, will all compliment the library for sure, but do I smell a strong sense of familiarity? Why yes I do. They are feeding off ideas that have been done before. Anyway that doesn't matter. Ask yourself this, would you buy a Wii U for any if these games? Unless you're a hardcore fan then no would be the majority answer. Lastly you have this toy interaction thing which is perfect for children, me and others my age? yeah... It seems like Nintendo didn't really reach to any new demographic of gamers, which begs the question, how are they going to realistically compete with the other consoles?

Ok, so the positives. Reggie fighting was awesome, man I could watch that time and time again. Being serious, I might as well address the elephant in the room, the new Zelda game. We all knew it was coming, then expectation was growing, what would they do? How will it look? When will it be released? Etc. First off it looked pretty cool, if they're really striving for a bigger more exploration based Zelda then take my money. However was 20 seconds of footage enough to really make up for this poor direct? In my opinion it was poor. Please give me some kind of hope, Nintendo please. I'm sure more will be announced, but this is E3 and your console isn't selling well, you've got to cause a stir.

The other positives were the previously announced games (yeah we knew they were already coming) and I guess the new Xenoblade game, oh wait, Mario Maker didn't look too shabby either. So just three titles that were newly announced got my interest, and only one of those titles I would consider a console seller (still not sold on Xenoblade, I'll have to give the previous a go sometime).

So very few new titles announced, and the majority that were looked incredibly familiar and lackluster. Zelda may well make the difference, but not enough was shown to steal E3. I'll sum it up, the new IP a lot of people were excited about is a multiplayer human-squid paintball game.

I have to, unfortunately, echo justac00lguy's concerns - was this presentation really enough to hype up the fanbase to the level Nintendo currently needs, and was it enough to get "outsiders" on board?

I agree, the answer is a rather blunt "no". In a time where the financial side of Nintendo is hurting like it hasn't hurt in quite a few years (Yes, I'm fully aware they can take the losses until the cows come home; it's irrelevant here. Business is business, and if you're not making a profit, you're failing at your job), this E3 was something that truly needed to not only rally the base, but also plant that seed into the minds of others that "hey, maybe the Wii U isn't such a terrible thing to buy anyway". I truly did expect to see some big-guns from this presentation, with Nintendo flexing every muscle it had. They didn't do that, and the entire presentation was incredibly underwhelming. "But Vergo, they'll talk about more during the Treehouse/whatever". Look, that presentation was a measly 40 minutes long. We've had Nintendo Directs longer than that. Why no show this stuff during the presentation, when the whole gaming world is watching? I could be proven wrong, but again, I think it's just bad business to not go over the new Star Fox during the actual presentation.

Now don't get me wrong, these games look good. I'm a hardcore Pokemon fan, and it was really nice seeing our first official trailer for Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby. But they're just remakes; if you weren't on board the 3DS now because of its amazing library of games, this one trailer isn't the deciding point for you because we've known about it for a good while now. Yoshi's Epic Yarn (let's call it what it is) looks gorgeous, but we've seen this entire idea implemented before, and we've already experienced something exactly like it. Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors fall into this same thing in a different light - we've KNOWN about these two for along time now. We've known they're both Wii U exclusives, and we've known how they look and feel from both a aesthetic and a gameplay perspective. It's awesome to get more info, but was this really what Nintendo needed, again, while the gaming world was watching? No, because if you were going to buy a Wii U just for those two games in the first place, you've already made your mind up. Even Smash Bros, something I thought would be in full force here, was rather lackluster because it failed to show off much the we didn't already know. Yes, Plautena is awesome.... who didn't see it coming? The leaks have been out for forever. Give us a character blowout or something. My expectations to get more later today have kind of taken a blow now.

I'll make a special mention of Xenoblade Chronicles X. It's a niche title, but I loved the first one. I'm very, very happy with what we got here, and it was probably my favorite part of this presentation as I actually felt hype during and after it. I'll give credit where it's due.

But let's talk about the main issue here; was anyone else just shocked when they saw the Zelda trailer and nothing happened after it? I thought this game could have been shown LAST year, Nintendo? I'll put aside my gripe with the actual trailer itself to point out something - expectations were HIGH for Zelda here. We knew it was coming, as Nintendo didn't keep it a secret at all. If you had asked me this morning what I thought we'd get out of Zelda today, I'd have told you that we'd get a title for sure, and that we'd get some interesting gameplay tidbits that will help us determine just how this new Zelda is going to work from a gameplay perspective. We didn't get either. We got some reassurance that it will be open-world like the classic games, which is awesome, but it's just that - reassurance and words that anyone could've squeezed out of Aonuma in a magazine interview. Then we get a cutscene-esque portion that displays the artstyle and Link's new design. That's..... it. No gameplay, no hint at the plot, not even a title to ponder on. If you're really excited from this trailer, that's great, more power to you. But again, is this really the best Nintendo can do at this point when the Wii U is in the toilet financially? And artstyle confirmation and a new looking Link? We would've gotten the same from a screenshot.

There's more to come, I know. But these are my initial feelings right here, right now. Perhaps they'll change, and I honestly hope they do as the day continues.

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
The amiibo thing is just........meh.... If they do a Reggie amiibo so I can have my own small personal Reggie then YES.

Otherwise I agree with what has been said already. Huge let-down on the lack of Zelda shown after all that anticipation. But they sold me on Hyrule Warriors just for Midna, and the other games looked neat, I may check them out if/when I get a Wii U.
Ruby and Sapphire remakes were announced a while ago, but was still cool to see a bit of X/Y gameplay style with them. Not that we were expecting anything else.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
As I said in the Sony thread, I'm not really interested in who's presentation is best or worst, it really makes no difference whether one is good and one is bad, the question is "Did Nintendo sell me on the Wii U?", or, for me, did they justify my purchase of the Wii U. And I'd say they did, but not in the same explosive fashion Microsoft and Sony did for their respective consoles, and I feel like Nintendo really needed to have the best showing this year. Really really.

But what I liked, of course, The Legend of Zelda! Cannot wait for the new Zelda; even after all this time and all these generations Zelda is still a big announcement everyone's waiting for. I would have liked to have seen more, however. It's such a huge announcement and I felt they kinda squandered it a bit, spent too much time on other things and gave us too small a view. It really wasn't as exciting a reveal as it could have been, to put it bluntly. I'm excited because of what Zelda is and the quality we usually expect from it, despite me thinking SS was a dud, but if I wasn't a Zelda fan that would have done not much to attract me to it, especially after seeing gameplay from the likes of Witcher 3. Anyway, it seems like those old quotes of Skyrim being an inspiration really rang true, and if so that's really exciting to me. I love open-world games but don't like sacrificing story quality and stuff for it. I hope Nintendo deliver, and if they're smart they'll be piling everyone onto Zelda! If that's in-engine, too, I cry happy tears.

Bayonetta 2 and the new Xenoblade, hell yeah I'll be picking them up too! Super Smash Bros. 4, of course, shall be had. I still find myself wanting to go back and play Melee with my friends like we used to, huddled around the really small TV trying to work out who was who until we realised name tags help a lot with that! Kirby is my boy in Smash Bros and it's great to see a new game starring the big pink ball of destruction!

I'm just disappointed about the lack of new games, really, and the lack of gameplay of the 1 biggest game. It stopped it being exciting! It was more reassuring than exciting, Nintendo is giving us some good games, but E3 isn't about reassuring, it's about EXCITEMENT! They announced perhaps the biggest one of their arsenal, sure, but... MS and Sony had multiple epic announcements. I felt like Nintendo had Zelda and that's it really, in terms of brand new epic stuff, and they squandered it without a bigger look. But disappointment doesn't mean that the Nintendo digital conference thingy was bad, definitely not. Loved the games they showed, I'm happy with my Wii U and intend on picking quite a few of these up! Infact most of the games on show I want to pick up eventually!

All in all, this is shaping up to be an awesome generation for all 3 consoles! :) And that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Mercedes said:
As I said in the Sony thread, I'm not really interested in who's presentation is best or worst, it really makes no difference whether one is good and one is bad, the question is "Did Nintendo sell me on the Wii U?",
I think it matters a lot to be honest.

E3 is the big dance in a way, it's were all three companies show what they're made of, where they try and sell you, the gamer, on what console and what games you should invest in. A bad or a good press conference determines a lot - just look at Microsoft's last year. MS was heavily criticised for multiple things which most likely put many off. I would put this as a reason the Xbox One is not doing nearly as well as PS4. It's why each company puts so much effort, hype, and money into their respective shows.

Also, it's all about competition at the end of the day, so comparing which one is best is a good way to judge each individual press conference in my opinion. They have to prove that they're the best and if one does so, then more people will be inclined to go for that console. Personally I see E3 as gaming's boxing match in a way with the better presentation having a direct affect on sales.

I guess that's just how I view it though.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think it matters a lot to be honest.

E3 is the big dance in a way, it's were all three companies show what they're made of, where they try and sell you, the gamer, on what console and what games you should invest in. A bad or a good press conference determines a lot - just look at Microsoft's last year. MS was heavily criticised for multiple things which most likely put many off. I would put this as a reason the Xbox One is not doing nearly as well as PS4. It's why each company puts so much effort, hype, and money into their respective shows.

Also, it's all about competition at the end of the day, so comparing which one is best is a good way to judge each individual press conference in my opinion. They have to prove that they're the best and if one does so, then more people will be inclined to go for that console. Personally I see E3 as gaming's boxing match in a way with the better presentation having a direct affect on sales.

I guess that's just how I view it though.

I agree with the points you brought up, yeah. I guess saying it flat-out doesn't matter was a poor choice of words on my part, I didn't really mean it exactly like that, E3 is a huge thing and it definitely does matter in the overall scheme of things; I moreso meant it doesn't effect the individual quality of the games announced. If a conference is the worst it doesn't make the games automatically the worst, sort of thing. A good game is a good game regardless of when it's announced and by whom. Of course excitement and coverage is effected, as would be the target audience I suppose, but not the game itself. Is what I kinda meant. I'm really bad at explaining things though, I hope I kinda made some sense. :)

I wouldn't call any of the conferences bad, definitely not, best E3 in years I think; Nintendo's was great but just felt a tad lackluster to me, compared to the absolute onslaught of games from MS and Sony. Needed moar Zelda. :P

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I agree with the points you brought up, yeah. I guess saying it flat-out doesn't matter was a poor choice of words on my part, I didn't really mean it exactly like that, E3 is a huge thing and it definitely does matter in the overall scheme of things; I moreso meant it doesn't effect the individual quality of the games announced. If a conference is the worst it doesn't make the games automatically the worst, sort of thing. A good game is a good game regardless of when it's announced and by whom. Of course excitement and coverage is effected, as would be the target audience I suppose, but not the game itself. Is what I kinda meant. I'm really bad at explaining things though, I hope I kinda made some sense. :)

I wouldn't call any of the conferences bad, definitely not, best E3 in years I think; Nintendo's was great but just felt a tad lackluster to me, compared to the absolute onslaught of games from MS and Sony. Needed moar Zelda. :P
Oh so you mean you're judging each individual game rather than the entire thing? I see where you're coming from now, I think I just judge the entirety to really determine which console is the one I should get when I'm put in that position.

Clank

Hmm
I only really looked at the Zelda and Hyrule warriors footage, I love the Hyrule warriors art style(I also think they are using the game to basically meet all the demands that the fans have been making these past few years), but I'm really not keen on the Zelda Wii U art style, it's just too bright honestly, they may tone it down before release(much like what they did with WWHD), but otherwise it's just really bright...

Just got done watching Nintendo's, it was a pretty fun presentation, there were a few games that definitely caught my eye today. The Mining Toad looks neat, if only Nintendo would keep Him silent though. :S Yoshi's Wooly World was very cute, the new still nameless Zelda looks phenomenal for the 20 freakin seconds we saw of it. Splatoon looks like tons of fun and showing off Palutena's moves were a cool idea. Though I wish if Nintendo was going to go the Skylanders route, they'd make an all new game for it instead of incorporating it into Brawl.

Last edited:
Given that I already have both a WiiU and a 3DS, I didn't approach this conference with the perspective of, "Can Nintendo sell me the WiiU/3DS?", as I did Sony's in regards to the PS4, but rather, "Can Nintendo make me excited for the WiiU/3DS?" and the answer is partial. The WiiU, from my perspective, had an excellent showing, with games such as Rainbow Curse and Splatoon showing that they're taking some risks in regards to diversification and variety of their offerings (especially given that Rainbow Curse is a sequel to one of the more obscure launch window DS games, perhaps not as obscure as Phantom Dust though...). Yet, two things, if one reviews the titles shown in both the Treehouse and the Presentation, are missing:

1.) Variety amongst the third party offerings (Nintendo's Archilles heel)
2.) Larger games that would sell the system to hesitant, non-traditional Nintendo fans (AAA games)

However, from my perspective, I actually don't mind that much weirdly enough, the only two games outside of this presentation that actually conjure up anything other than a slight curiosity to me currently are Little Big Planet 3 and Bloodborne, otherwise, yeah...

Now, the 3DS on the other hand... games? Anyone? Hello?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom