• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Dropping Online Support Early?

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Folks, it's happening all over again.

It was recently announced that Devil's Third servers would be shut down this year. Forever. Now, a lot of people have gotten this game for the multiplayer, which is one of the most satisfying online systems I've ever played. Yes, the single-player campaign is solid, and offers quite a few hours of entertainment, but for a lot of people, it was the clans and online campaign that drew them in.

For those of us who actually played the game instead of judging it by its scores based on reviews by people who didn't play the game, this is a huge blow.

It has also been announced that Splatoon will be hosting its last Splatfest in a few weeks (24 July, I believe), before official online support will be discontinued; the servers will remain, but there will be no more updates of any kind. Essentially, this is the end of Splatoon, a little bit more than a year from its release.

Mind you, Splatoon is one of the best-seilling games on the Wii U. This is another blow to the more than 4 million Splatoon players around the world.

It's a baffling move, and really makes you wonder when they'll drop MK8 and Smash.

I mean, I get that the NX is what they're focused on (since #FE is the last game to be released before LoZ: BotW next year), but to drop support for their online games? That seems bizarre to me. It baffles me how Nintendo can make another stupid move.

If you recall, they dropped Wii support without warning. Maybe the did make an announcement, but they cut it off without tapering off. It was a sudden and immediate end to support. On the other hand Sony kept support for the PS3 until recently, and even crappy ol' MS supported their stupid console long after the XBO was out. That meant the transition from PS3 to PS4 could be a gentle one, based on the timeline of the consumer, not the company.

Nintendo did not do this.

And now they're doing it again.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
devil's third released? damn that's news.

Splatoon can't keep getting content. that's insane. they would have to dip into paid dlc realms, and no nintendo guy wants to see that out of an FPS.

MK8 and Smash will continue for a few years into the NX lifespan, but will be cut off. can't see the 3DS lasting very long either.

RinkuTheRuffian

Punk Rock Trash
If they feel so bad about it, I want to see Splatoon and Smash 4 ports for NX bundled with the NX for no added price... and either carry over DLC from Wii U or have it available free.

I paid money for these games, dammit.

Idk if it means anything, but as long as they don't do something insanely stupid like drop online support exclusively for old 3DS systems, I don't think I'll care all too much. But I guess that means I should dust off Splatoon and play my first splatfest. I stopped playing like right before they started doing them--I stopped playing shortly after they added the first DLC stage and zapper weapon--so I haven't gotten to partake in one yet. Other than that, I guess if they cease Wii U's online support altogether, that'd kind of suck. I don't really play mine much, but unlike Wii and DS games, most of the Wii U games I own and "actively" play are pretty reliant on internet, so they would literally be completely worthless once they cut the cord. As someone who likes to keep playing the same games for years and years, it would be pretty upsetting if I had to just completely ditch all of the Wii U games. Granted, I only own like, six or something but it'd still suck.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Splatoon can't keep getting content. that's insane. they would have to dip into paid dlc realms, and no nintendo guy wants to see that out of an FPS.

I don't think we need more weapon packs and maps, but to stop Splatfest seems a bit weird. They're basically saying "we're through". I just don't understand the reasoning behind it. Other than:
'I'm unwilling to see this idea all the way through so I'll just sweep it under the rug and make a new one'

I hate to say it, but it seems that this is the case.

I have to say, this is extremely disappointing. These games barely got a full year of full support. I get that running servers costs money, but goodness ... why not let the fans run their own servers? I promise you, the Devil's Third community would support its own servers.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
this is nintendo we're talking about, I don't see how any of this is baffling

People like to think Nintendo, like Valve, or Bethesda, can do no wrong but ignorance is a refuge of sorts, I guess.
Nintendo probably weighed the pros and cons of shutting down their servers, and obviously, at the end of the day, its about money like that scene from Fight Club; weighing the cost of a recall vs the price of a lawsuit.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
this is nintendo we're talking about, I don't see how any of this is baffling
People like to think Nintendo, like Valve, or Bethesda, can do no wrong but ignorance is a refuge of sorts, I guess.
Nintendo probably weighed the pros and cons of shutting down their servers, and obviously, at the end of the day, its about money like that scene from Fight Club; weighing the cost of a recall vs the price of a lawsuit.

I dunno man, they've made a ton of stupid decisions in the last decade. From cutting Wii support to succumbing to SJW censorship campaigns to refusing to embrace voice-chat in online games.

I was talking with a friend, and I told him Nintendo make the best games, easily, on the market, but their business decisions are incredibly poor.

Dan

Didn't they cut off Mario Kart Wii's support a couple of weeks before Mario Kart 8 launched? I presume they'll do the same procedure for Mario Kart 9.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
It has also been announced that Splatoon will be hosting its last Splatfest in a few weeks (24 July, I believe), before official online support will be discontinued; the servers will remain, but there will be no more updates of any kind. Essentially, this is the end of Splatoon, a little bit more than a year from its release.

I noticed it's the last Splatfest, I'm kind of sad actually because those were really fun when I actually got a chance to play it. Just when I wanted to get a Wii U and Splatoon too. I'll probably still get a Wii U anyways, or maybe save up for the NX now.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I noticed it's the last Splatfest, I'm kind of sad actually because those were really fun when I actually got a chance to play it. Just when I wanted to get a Wii U and Splatoon too. I'll probably still get a Wii U anyways, or maybe save up for the NX now.

Yeah. But Splatoon is still fun. Even without the Splatfest. In reality, the thing I'm complaining about isn't necessarily the end of Splafest (though it was a lot of fun, it isn't by any means the best part of the game) or the end of weapon packs and map packs (goodness knows we've plenty of weapons). It's the fact that we're still a year away from the NX launch, much less any NX online games. I just don't get why they would stop supporting a game with 4 million users.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I dunno man, they've made a ton of stupid decisions in the last decade. From cutting Wii support to succumbing to SJW censorship campaigns to refusing to embrace voice-chat in online games.

I was talking with a friend, and I told him Nintendo make the best games, easily, on the market, but their business decisions are incredibly poor.
Definitely. They just do what they think we want. I mean, most companies do that anyway, but a lot listen to their fans. Nintendo just says hey this is what we're going to do. Sometimes its a hit, and sometimes a miss.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I think this is all misunderstanding.

First off, Nintendo stated that Splatoons online will stay intact.

Second, the cutoff for Wii and DS's online was not Nintendo's fault. Back then, Nintendo outsourced their servers to a company called GameSpy. As Nintendo didn't find it fit to have the resources for Online Play at the time. So they outsourced it to an extremely good company. But then, GameSpy was bought out by another company, and all the servers were shut down. Nintendo had absolutely no say in this matter.

So no, the shutdown of the Wii's online was not a business conspiracy to make us get the Wii U. It was just unfortunate businesses shutting down.

I expect that the Wii U's online will be running for at least another 5-10 years.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I expect that the Wii U's online will be running for at least another 5-10 years.

I was not aware. Thanks for the clarification!

And I hope you're right. Yet, certain games are seeing a slow (or quick, depending on the game) death. Yeah, Splatoon's main online components will remain intact, but they're still shutting down Splatfest a little over a year since it came out. I don't see how that can be taken any other way than dropping support early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom