• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Nintendo Discontinues the 3DS

Think this news slipped under the radar amidst new announcements but Nintendo has officially discontinued the 3DS.

It had 8 years of software support from 2011-2019 and it was only a matter of time before Nintendo focused solely on the Switch but the 3DS had a really good lifespan. It gave us some amazing Zelda remakes, a great follow-up to a beloved Zelda game in the form of A Link Between Worlds, Fire Emblem Awakening reignited interest in the franchise, Kirby had some of his best games in Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot, and Kid Icarus: Uprising resurrected a dormant IP in a great fashion. Streetpass was also a very fun feature built into the system. I enjoyed seeing new Miis in my Streetpass Plaza.

What are your thoughts on this news? And what are some of your favorite memories you had with the 3DS and its games?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Honestly, it's about time. The 3DS has one of the best libraries and some of my favorite games on it, but the Switch has been around for over three years now. The spotlight should be exclusively on it.

Most of the positive memories I've had with the 3DS have been relatively recently, actually. Hacking my 3DS opened up the possibility of trying games I had never heard of before or had the chance to play. I became a massive FE fan because of playing Awakening on 3DS, and I discovered Rune Factory by playing 4 earlier this year, leading me to buy the Switch version. Specifically, some of my favorite titles for the system are Mario Kart 7, Fire Emblem: Awakening (and Fates to a lesser extent), Tomodachi Life, and Rune Factory 4.

I also played quite a bit of 3D Land (100%), Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, and beat Ocarina 3D at least once on it.

Magolor04726

Hum dee doo
With the 3DS gone, only one remains.

But without the Wii's or Duals, will it ever be the same?

The Switch, it stands, tall and grand,

the sole survivor of Nintendo's hand.

But while we weep that 3DS has part,

We will forever hold it dear in our heart.

A tribute to the 3DS, by Magolor04726, May it rust in peace.
3DS, 2011-2020.
(Yes, this is overdramatic. And yes, I meant to put rust there instead of rest. Deal with it.)

I have a decently size library and only recently got into LoZ for 3DS (or... at all. Don't shoot me.). My favorites were the Mario & Luigi series, Miitopia, OoT's pretty good, and basically all the Kirby games.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I was dying for a 3ds back when it was first revealed, I wouldn't get it until the link b/w worlds gold edition in 2013 since it took that long for me to save enough money, but I was overjoyed to finally have it, it was my first DS type system as well

it's sad to see the end of its life span but we basically knew this was gonna happen, nintendo has stopped paying attention to it for a good while now

by proxy my favorite game on it is Metal Gear Solid 3d, but MGS3 is already one of my favorite games in general so it's hard to really count it, my other favorites would be the Phoenix Wright series, Fire Emblem games, Kid Icarus Uprising, Link b/w Worlds, Pokemon X, and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse; honorable mentions to Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64

there's still plenty of games for me to play on it though, so it being relevant or not makes no difference

Last edited:
The 3DS has been dead for the last few years so ending production now seems a little overdue (I even did a blog about it being dead a year or so ago, that's how overdue this is). Though I guess it was still selling.

It had a good life, even though it had an atrocious start, and I loved the time I spent with the console.

There are so amazing games for it and I'll be playing it again soon when I replay Tales of the Abyss for my blog, so it'll be nice to pull it back out.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
It's time had come. It happens to all consoles eventually.
Only thing about it that scares me is if my current modded 3DS (for recording) breaks. Then it might get hard to get a new one, and I wouldn't be able to Let's Play 3DS and DS games again... + E-shop stuff

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I'm not surprised, as soon as the Switch came out it was pretty clear that the 3DS family didn't have much longer until they stopped production. 3DS definitely had some solid games, definitely got a lot of use out of mine and I'm glad my 3DS held up throughout all these years (aside from the circle pad cover coming off). I just hope they keep the online play and eShop around for several more years.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I've already got 3 (1 old one, one New of the Majora's Mask variety and 1 New for recording). SO that's not a worry, but you need a special modded one for recording stuff from it, and that I've only got 1 of. I'm not overly worried about it. It'd just be a bit sad if I couldn't LP any games from DS/3DS/3DS Virtual Console anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom