• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Announcing Wii U/3DS eshops no Longer Accepting Credit/Debit Payments Starting January 18th 2022

Fig

The Altruist
Nintendo JP's official Twitter just announced that the Wii U and 3DS eshops will no longer be accepting payments through credit or debit cards starting January 18th, 2022. It doesn't mean you won't be able to buy games after the 18th, you still can buy games with pre-paid eshop cards you can buy online or at your local retailers. I expect the eshop for the Wii U and 3DS to officially discontinue within 2022 or even 2023 if Nintendo is remotely generous. It's a shame that most of those games will be lost as I personally don't believe Nintendo will be bringing back any sense of a virtual console system on the Switch. If you haven't bought your N64, GBA, or DS titles on the Wii U or 3DS if applicable, now's the time to start planning.

It's important to address that this is so far only announced for the JP region at the time of writing this thread, but do expect similar announcements for the other regions within the week.

Additional Source

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The first big step in the elimination of yet another method to digitally purchase games.

While it might just be the debit and credit cards, I've no doubt this will lead to the elimination of the 3DS and Wii U eShops. It'll suck when they're pulled down and we see the elimination of yet another digital market.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
mαrkαsscoρ said:
its the beginning of the end boys

it just serves to remind that hacking the console is the penultimate soultion to preserving digital titles, I could add a bunch of wiiware titles on my wii right now if I wanted to (in fact I did, castlevania rebirth I added way after the shutdown)

that being said, it is important to support some of these games while you still can, you'll just have to jump through whatever hurdles these companies place

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
it just serves to remind that hacking the console is the penultimate soultion to preserving digital titles, I could add a bunch of wiiware titles on my wii right now if I wanted to (in fact I did, castlevania rebirth I added way after the shutdown)

that being said, it is important to support some of these games while you still can, you'll just have to jump through whatever hurdles these companies place

Or imagine if Nintendo consoles offered any sort of legacy content.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I thought it already was stopped as i tried to buy a game a while back and it wouldn't let me...

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
This is where the homebrew community will shine, since Nintendo has no interest in preserving most of their legacy content. Good on them for offering options that Nintendo doesn't.

Reactions: Fig

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I never used a credit card on my consoles, so I always got eshop cards to add funds but I did put paypal on Switch cuz I trust it more and use it to add funds for the other 2 systems.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I guess at some point maintenance of such online distribution systems for old consolces becomes economically unviable for Nintendo due to low sales so I suppose it is to be expected but it still feels like it is quite soon to be switching off the payment by credit card on its own.

I don't think I've ever used my credit or debit for any nintendo system ever. I always get thr eshop cards if I need anything.

Hopefully the actual eShops for both systems stay up a little longer. There are still some games I would like to download. But this is definitely the beginning of the end.

As long as wind water tp and metroid prime trilogy are all out for switch by then or shortly after we're all good.

But nintendo will likely charge 60 bucks for each of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom