• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Affiliates with YouTube

Fig

The Altruist
We all know that Nintendo has been having financial setbacks for the previous three years in a row. Many have speculated that a factor of this is because Nintendo would be force to take down YouTube channels for copyrighting their property simply because it appeared for even a split second on the screen. In recent news, Nintendo has just announced that they will be having creating an affiliate program for YouTube Let's Players and creators so that a portion of the ad-revenue will be given to the channels that contribute a lot to the gaming industry by providing insight and thoughts of Nintendo's properties without worrying about having their channel being shot down. One year ago, Nintendo was using YouTube's copyright claim IDs to the channels that were showing Nintendo content without Nintendo's official permission. It seems now Nintendo now realizes that YouTube could in fact help themselves out when people are allowed to share their thoughts of Nintendo's properties without getting their channels blocked. I think it's safe to say that Nintendo really wants their games to sell and could even be the start that the Wii U can start having a better future. What are you thoughts about Nintendo's affiliation program with YouTube? Will this help them out in the long-run? Is there better faith in Nintendo now that they have allowed people to discuss about their content without receiving strikes?

Source: Nintendo Announces Affiliate Program for YouTue Let's Play Creators, Nintendo Planning YouTube Revenue-splitting Affiliate Program

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
It's about time. After I watched the Game Theory episode with the Pasta Sauce it all made sense about why Nintendo was failing: They didn't let people talk about their games. I mean seriously, they thought they were protecting their property, when in reality they were doing away with free advertising.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Good, it was a very short-sighted and stupid decision to have made from the beginning, but the decision pretty much summed up Nintendo to a T; how out of touch with the modern gaming industry they are. Whoever pioneered this move hopefully gets to call more of the shots at Nintendo too; will they stop suing the hell out of any fan-created content that uses any portion of their IPs? One step at a time, but that'd be nice too!

It's worth adding that I'm not the type of person who thinks Youtubers should be able to just rake in money from someone else's IPs, if a company says no then I don't think they're the bad guy, but that doesn't mean I think it's a good business decision either, nor do I agree with how Nintendo actually went about doing it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom