• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Nier: Automata Discussion Thread

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Anyone else play this masterpiece? I think it's probably one of the best games of the year, coming in second right after Breath of the Wild. :)

Everything about this game was great, and blended together so beautifully. I loved the gameplay, customization, and music a whole lot.

But let's talk about the story.

What are your thoughts? It was definitely a lot to take in, and I think even the ending left me with more questions than answers.

I just wanna give 9S a big hug. :kawaii:

What. A. Game.

Man, where to start...

Nier Automata came out a week or so after BotW. I'd wanted to play it when i first heard of it. It looked stylish as hell, it was made by Platinum, i was having that game.

However, my BotW fangirling pushed everything into the background. I bought and played BotW and finished it within the week, then Nier came out. A sequel no one asked for and even if you did want a sequel to Nier you'd never have thought it'd look like Automata.

So i bought and played Automata, it was great. It played gloriously, i loved 2B and there were great characters like Pascal and Emil. I thought 9S was a bit of a wet towel but i'll get to him in a moment.

The desert section began to show me small snippets of how INSANE Yoko Taro is. Robots miming sexual acts and a naked Sephiroth later i was very invested and confused. Then robots in a theme park, nothing new (it takes a lot to surprise and impress me, i'm not easily pleased) but i liked the sense of surrealism and unease the game managed to make the friendly robots portray.

The first two playthroughs are quite similar and i enjoyed them but wasnt overly thrilled. If i had one criticism its that the A and B routes are too similar and too close together (but im going to excuse the game because there isnt a real way around it for the overall story to keep its power).

It wasnt until the third route where the game started thrilling me in terms of narrative. I love A2, but i never thought 9S would become what he became. I get chills thinking about what he goes through in that game and he went from a wet towel to one of the most memorable characters (and what a performance from the VA btw) in recent memory. Dude is off the hook!

As the third route comes to an end i'm hooked with the story and the gameplay in equal measure. This game both in gameplay and narrative did things i've never seen before and i've maybe said that about a game once in my life.

The tag teaming with 9S and A2 near the end was brilliant, 9S's struggle was very real and
His death is one of the most powerful i've ever seen in any entertainment medium

From beginning to end this game was a joy and absolute thrill. I didnt think anything this year would top BotW for me but just a week later MAKE ROOM FOR YOKO TARO!

Nier Automata is probably my GOTY, taking Zelda down with its sheer imagination and thrilling gameplay and narrative. Its amazing to have a game with a story as every bit the equal to its gameplay and even more impressive that that gameplay is frikking Platinum!

It looked great, was great and oh my goooooooood the music. Weight of the World is a very powerful and incredible song. And those final credits, Taro stop messing with my mind and heart in equal measure!

The music all the way through this game, man, its awesome.

I cant say enough about this game. Its so rare that a genuine masterpiece comes along, especially from such niche origins as Automata. I think the last truly special game i played on this level was Metroid Prime.

Nier Automata, everyone needs to play this game. Its not just a game its a significant, poignant and a genuine enriching entertainment experience.

<3

Last edited:

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
What. A. Game.

Man, where to start...

Nier Automata came out a week or so after BotW. I'd wanted to play it when i first heard of it. It looked stylish as hell, it was made by Platinum, i was having that game.

However, my BotW fangirling pushed everything into the background. I bought and played BotW and finished it within the week, then Nier came out. A sequel no one asked for and even if you did want a sequel to Nier you'd never have thought it'd look like Automata.

So i bought and played Automata, it was great. It played gloriously, i loved 2B and there were great characters like Pascal and Emil. I thought 9S was a bit of a wet towel but i'll get to him in a moment.

The desert section began to show me small snippets of how INSANE Yoko Taro is. Robots mining sexual acts and a naked Sephiroth later i was very invested and confused. Then robots in a theme park, nothing new (it takes a lot to surprise and impress me, i'm not easily pleased) but i liked the sense of surrealism and unease the game managed to make the friendly robots portray.

The first two playthroughs are quite similar and i enjoyed them but wasnt overly thrilled. If i had one criticism its that the A and B routes are too similar and too close together (but im going to excuse the game because there isnt a real way around it).

It wasnt until the third route where the game started thrilling me in terms of narrative. I love A2, but i never thought 9S would become what he became. I get chills thinking about what he goes through in that game and he went from a wet towel to one of the most memorable characters (and what a performance from the VA btw) in recent memory. Dude is off the hook!

As the third route comes to an end im hooked with the story and the gameplay in equal measure. This game both gameplay and narrative did things ive never seen before and ive maybe said that about a game once in my life.

The tag teaming with 9S and A2 near the end was brilliant, 9S' struggle was very real and
His death is one of the most powerful i've ever seen in any entertainment medium

From beginning to end this game was a joy and absolute thrill. I didnt think anything this year would top BotW for me but just a week later MAKE ROOM FOR YOKO TARO!

Nier Automata is probably my GOtY, taking Zelda down with its sheer imagination and thrilling gameplay and narrative. Its amazing to have a game with a story as every bit the equal to its gameplay and even more impressive that that gameplay is frikking Platinum!

It looked great, was great and oh my goooooooood the music. Weight of the World is a very powerful and incredible song. And those final credits, Taro stop messing with my mind and heart in equal measure!

The music all the way through this game, man, its awesome.

I cant say enough about thia game. Its so rare that a genuine masterpiece comes along, especially from such niche origins as Automata. I think the last truly special game i played on this level was Metroid Prime.

Nier Automata, everyone needs to play this game. Its not just a game its a significant, poignant and a genuine enriching entertainment experience.

<3

Yeah the game is a total mind**** but anyone who enjoys a good story with good action needs to play this game. <3

I remember during the first playthrough (with ending A) 2B and 9S meet A2 at the forest castle, and I was like, "I bet she'll be joining the team!" Little did I know that her role would be MUCH MUCH darker and greater.

As for 9S, I think he's one of the most well developed characters I've seen in a long time. I never wanted to put the game down because it felt like a book: I just wanted to find out what would happen to them. It seemed like I never knew what was coming playing this game. Would aliens suddenly attack? Would Adam and Eve reappear? It felt like each event in the game was unpredictable, and that's why I love it so much. I grew with these characters. I felt for these characters. I lived as these characters.

There is so much I could say about this game, but then I would need to write an entire novel!

Yeah the game is a total mind**** but anyone who enjoys a good story with good action needs to play this game. <3

I remember during the first playthrough (with ending A) 2B and 9S meet A2 at the forest castle, and I was like, "I bet she'll be joining the team!" Little did I know that her role would be MUCH MUCH darker and greater.

As for 9S, I think he's one of the most well developed characters I've seen in a long time. I never wanted to put the game down because it felt like a book: I just wanted to find out what would happen to them. It seemed like I never knew what was coming playing this game. Would aliens suddenly attack? Would Adam and Eve reappear? It felt like each event in the game was unpredictable, and that's why I love it so much. I grew with these characters. I felt for these characters. I lived as these characters.

There is so much I could say about this game, but then I would need to write an entire novel!

amazarashiinochinihusawashi_170206_thumb.jpg

I still need the DLC. Will get it soon. Just when i thought the game couldnt be more crazy we get to beat up actual developers of the game and turn bullets into the creator's moon head (which is a wierd sentence to begin with!)

And the included music video is daaaaark. But is probably what Taro's homelife looks like.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
amazarashiinochinihusawashi_170206_thumb.jpg

I still need the DLC. Will get it soon. Just when i thought the game couldnt be more crazy we get to beat up actual developers of the game and turn bullets into the creator's moon head (which is a wierd sentence to begin with!)

And the included music video is daaaaark. But is probably what Taro's homelife looks like.

I guess the main question I have now is...What does Yoko Taro actually look like? :P

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Yeah this is definitely one of- if not the most - memorable games I've played yet this year. Which isn't exactly an accolade that does it justice considering what else this year has had to offer.

It's fun. It's original and imaginative. The story is bizarre and engaging but still rather lacking and straightforward. Would have appreciated some more depth to the characters and far more interesting environments. The levels are really bland. I also think the game's too short. And yes, I've played through every path and yes the game is still too short. The narrative gets rather pretentious when it waxes philosophical without much in the way of reason or context. It's like it's trying to be some sort of thinking man's arthouse game but it's lacking substance.

I also enjoy just free running through the levels. Plays like an arcade racer. The movement controls are *really* fun to just blaze around jumping over rooftops and tearing around street corners n' stuff. :^^:

The combat system is visceral but awfully straightforward, lacking nuance. Fun as hell hack in slash but it does tend to wear thin after a while. Fans of SSB will appreciate the 2D sections. The RPG system makes the game too easy. As easy as you want it to be, really, but the game's difficulty is so imbalanced it's literally designed to be so easy that it can play itself if you're into that.

Also the ending made me cry. No other video game has ever done that to me. Once I realized what they were doing, having been locked into that increasingly difficult bullet hell for like 20 minutes already, it was really impactful. An excellent way to use gameplay to convey a message, and forcing players to make meaningful decisions that affect them personally. That was an expert touch!

Far from being the best game I've ever played, it's certainly one worth remembering.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
They are totally the hottest ladies ive seen in gaming in a while.

Shame Taro doesnt wanna do a sequel and instead wants to either be unemployed or own a restaurant.

Taro is a genius but i wonder if a sequel could ever be as special as Automata.

The ending of the game screamed sequel, but maybe that's just me.

I just wonder what happened afterwards. Does a 2B x 9S romance happen? Do they rebuild a new society? Does A2 go off on her own again? So many questions...

The ending of the game screamed sequel, but maybe that's just me.

I just wonder what happened afterwards. Does a 2B x 9S romance happen? Do they rebuild a new society? Does A2 go off on her own again? So many questions...

I like what the Pod said; that with 2B and 9S having recovered their memories when theyre rebuilt that the same outcome may repeat itself.

... it probably would, 9S be craaaaaazeh

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I like what the Pod said; that with 2B and 9S having recovered their memories when theyre rebuilt that the same outcome may repeat itself.

... it probably would, 9S be craaaaaazeh

If that's the case, why would the pods rebuild them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom