• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Newbie help please.....

Hi
Having played various Zelda games many many moons ago, my kids bought me BOTW for my switch for Xmas . I've run into a problem already in that I simply cannot find any spicy peppers to pick so I can cook them in order to get to the Keh Namut Shrine ( I've collected 3 of the orbs so far). On my general exploring when I first started the game, I did see some peppers down by the river and also by the archway west of the Temple of Time but being an eejeet I simply ate them without realizing that I would need them later on in the game. I've searched forums on the subject and people are saying you will have to wait a few days before they regrow. However I have sat by the fire where the old man is for more than a few days. I have tried sitting for several days - last time I sat by the fire until Morning about 20 consecutive times but the peppers still haven't grown back. What am I doing wrong please? I'm hoping there is a way to get the peppers to grow rather than starting the whole game again?
Many thanks

Sounds like you're still in the Great Plateau.

You don't really need them, there are other ways to progress.

If you're wanting them to cook them to be able to survive the cold in the snowy area then find a torch and light it on fire and the fire from the torch will keep you warm.

I think there is a book where it says the old man's favoirite food uses the peppers, but the reward you get for this is the one you'll get later anyway before you leave the Plateau.

I'm not sure why they're not growing back though.

Sounds like you're still in the Great Plateau.

You don't really need them, there are other ways to progress.

If you're wanting them to cook them to be able to survive the cold in the snowy area then find a torch and light it on fire and the fire from the torch will keep you warm.

I think there is a book where it says the old man's favoirite food uses the peppers, but the reward you get for this is the one you'll get later anyway before you leave the Plateau.

I'm not sure why they're not growing back though.

Many thanks for the very quick response
I'll try what you suggest in taking a lit torch with me

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
there's a peak in the snowy region that, if you're fast enough/have enough food with you, you can reach where the old man will give you a Warm Doublet, a clothing item that helps keep you warm. The map is topographical, so finding it shouldn't be too difficult

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
No, waiting by the fire doesn't replenish hearts. But if you're sleeping in a bed your hearts get replenished. For most beds you have to pay but later on you'll find some free spots. On the great plateau it's the woodcutter's lodge.

I'm clearly doing something wrong. Can't get anywhere near the top of the mountain to get the doublet. I'm carrying the torch but getting attacked. If I try to run, the torch goes out and I freeze to death. Also I can't see anyway of getting to Namut without having to climb which means putting the torch away and freezing to death again. Please help as I'm getting incredibly frustrated with this already. Once my hearts go down I cannot see anyway of getting them back up - I have picked up all the ingredients and cooked them (now have no food left) and sitting by the fire does not replenish them. How on earth are you meant to get anywhere if you can't replenish your hearts?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
You can throw the torch up that one little cliff so that it’s still lit after you climb it. Then pick it up and keep going. Just don’t run and you’ll be fine. Also, just ignore the enemies. They might chase you but they won’t chase you forever. Just focus on steadily marching up to the peak.

Spicy peppers are found at the entrance to the cold region north of the Temple of Time, as well as under the monster fort on the opposite side of the plateau from there. There’s also 1 inside a jar in the old man’s house. Hyrule bass are found in the pond next to the tower. Meat comes from boars. BotW is a game with a heavy emphasis on resource management, especially in the beginning, so make sure you grab everything you can when you see it and make sure to use it wisely. Use what you need only when you need it and try to leave a little left over when you can.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
I just ate a pepper whenever I took damage from the cold. I didn't even know you could cook in the game.

Plenty of cooking pots about-6B6D4362-BBEE-433B-A4DE-CB561D899A25.jpeg
Open Inventory select/hold a food or two throw into pot, cook.
Cooked food gives you more sustenance than raw and cooking a critter with a monster part will give you elixirs too!
Read the explanations of the food stuff when you select it and read the hints!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom