• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Zelda Games Vs Old Zelda Games

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
This is prob going to be a very controversial topic but what do you prefere Zelda games prior 2002 or from Wind Walker onwards in what I would say is the most modern era of Zelda....

If im going to be completely honest i prefere the new Zelda games simply because the more Zelda has got older the general scale and variety things to do has improved.

Tell what you guys think :)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Hard to say. I prefer 3D games in general...but Wind Waker is my least favorite 3D game...on the other hand, TP and SS are my favorites....

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Depends, I like the old Zelda games more because they tend to be more difficult then the newer games. However just graphics and gameplay wise I like the new Zelda games better.

If I had to pick between new or old, I would play the newer games. However, I still love the older 2D games and I like to go back and play them from time to time.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I got my copy of LttP on release day in '92 and still have my gold LoZ NES cartridges, so nostalgia compels me to pick the older games. That said, I've enjoyed all of the newer 3D games... except TWW (for a multitude of reasons that have nothing to do with cell shading)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I much prefer the older Zelda games to the new Zelda games. Even after "mastering" a classic Zelda, I still have difficulty with them here and there simply because they are challenging games via game design. There are numerous other intricacies that are largely missing from modern Zelda, in my opinion, that classic Zelda either nails just right or at least features, namely story enrichment for gameplay, and the obligatory TOUGH final boss (bar OoT of course lol). Eh, I'll be ranting if I continue much further than this, so I'll just leave off with a "I prefer harder games to easy games" as I feel classic is harder than modern. :yes:

I can't say either for this because my favourite era for Zelda comes before 2002 with OoT in 98 and runs to TP in 2006. But only two games beyond 2002 (making it ten years at this point) i think were worthwhile. I guess i prefer the older Zelda games, Link's Awakening and A Link to the Past are obvious favourites of mine but are out-shined by the games from 98-2002/3.

Old for the win I guess. =]

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
The older games. Don't get me wrong, WW, MC, TP and ST all brought memorable Zelda adventures that I'm glad I got to experience. However, thus far nothing has topped the experience I got in MM. A decent level of difficulty, plenty of exploration, tons of secrets, and while its story may not have been the best, it was incredibly rupee for its concept. Prior to MM, the Zelda series still had great games to add to my experience, thus I don't mind choosing the older games. I love almost all Zelda games and the newer ones left heavy happy footprints in my head, but if I had to choose, I'd prefer the older games.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker are my personal favorites. I consider the latter "new" and the former somewhere in between. The big stylistic shift happened with Majora's Mask, probably the first "new" Zelda game. I like that one too, along with The Minish Cap.

On the other hand, everything after The Minish Cap is missing something, and is more plot-driven than it needs to be. I guess it's safe to say I prefer new, but it doesn't keep me from enjoying older games like Link's Awakening, and the newest of the new (Twilight Princess on) doesn't quite measure up, though I like Spirit Tracks and love Skyward Sword in its own way.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
On the other hand, everything after The Minish Cap is missing something, and is more plot-driven than it needs to be.

Not quite sure why you would say this. Are you saying Zelda's plot having more importance is a bad thing? Because I can assure you that a) it has nothing to do with the games missing things and b) having more plot importance potentially allows for more emotional engagement and incentive to go through the game.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
This is a very hard decision. I Think I'll have to go with the modern Zelda Era games.

I didn't play the older games until i really decided to get into the zelda series. So some of the newer era games that I played were what really made me love Zelda in the first place (these games being Wind Waker, The Minish Cap, and Twilight Princess)

A reason i'd give for why i enjoy the newer games more is because they strive to be unique. New Zelda games have much more competition against the rest of the series than older games did because there were less games to be compared to in the beginning. Now, Zelda games are made with special "gimmicks" or things that make the games stick out from the rest of the series.

Although I do love ALttP with all of my heart and thoroughly enjoy OoT, MM, and LA, the new era games take the cake for me

Wind Waker was my first Zelda game, and I haven't beaten anything pre-WW, so I guess my decision is obvious. I've tried playing the old ones on the collector's edition, and I did enjoy them, but I couldn't get sucked into games that were over a decade old. I really wish I were born a little earlier (or had older siblings) so that I could know what it feels like to "grow up with Zelda". I like Zelda so much already, I can't imagine how much I'd feels for it if I had grown up playing it.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Wind Waker was my first Zelda game, and I haven't beaten anything pre-WW, so I guess my decision is obvious. I've tried playing the old ones on the collector's edition, and I did enjoy them, but I couldn't get sucked into games that were over a decade old. I really wish I were born a little earlier (or had older siblings) so that I could know what it feels like to "grow up with Zelda". I like Zelda so much already, I can't imagine how much I'd feels for it if I had grown up playing it.

The past is impossible to understand in a context you didn't personally experience (not necessarily a negative, but an essential truth). We approach a center point from two directions. I can see why many in the younger crowd looks at the first run of Zelda games and see small, limited worlds with facile objectives and limited by the hardware for which they were designed - not dissimilar to how I saw the Atari 2600. This is fine, as it is the price of progress... though I'll always be a little sad that the younger generation won't hear how awesome this sounded to us when we first heard it twenty years ago.

There are things I like about both. Ocarina of Time will always be my favorite because it was the first one I had ever owned and that game just holds so much nostalgia for me and I feel that it is one of the few games in my gaming library that doesn't really have any flaws. The dungeons were challenging, enemies were scary, bosses were menacing and it was my first real experience with an open world game. As time went on I played some of the older titles such as the original LoZ, A Link to the Past, and Links Awakening all of which I enjoyed because those were the games that originally defined the series we know today which is why no matter how good the graphics get or how advanced the gameplay gets, I will always be able to go back and enjoy the original classics just as much as I did as when I first played them. That being said, I love the new games because it shows how far the series has come. Zelda has been around now for 26 years and I still enjoy it just as much as when I first started playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom