• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Zelda for the Wii U Coming 2014

Read this article a few moments ago in Lord Death's blog. It's to be taken with a grain of salt, however, until confirmed by Nintendo.

I'd love for the Wii U game to be the biggest and boldest with unique Wii U Game Pad usage in every dungeon but it's never wise to expect too much. Personally I would not be pleased if Skyward Sword's art style was given another go. It failed to leave a lasting impression on me as previous 3D console installments had. Online incorporation would definitely be stellar with Miiverse and dropping by to leave hints for other players. I'd go so far as to ascertain Nintendo is capable of including a dungeon creator/level sharer in its next Zelda game. It would naturally fit and the idea has been probed before in Super smash Bros. Brawl.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I myself am also skeptical about the game using the SS art style; what they showed off at the tech demo was almost unreal and I really want Nintendo to explore more in that territory. Skyward Sword's art style didn't do it for me, not that it wasn't pretty but that it was unimpressive which belies the very style it is based on. I'm much more impressed by the realism featured in the Wii U tech demo and would want them to use that instead.

As for the GamePad being used to solve puzzles and avoid traps, I'm skeptical on that as well. Will the game be touch pad optimized, that is, Will everything require the touch pad, or is it simply optional/used for reference material? Sounds interesting don't get me wrong, but I don't want to be crippled by controls that just aren't my thing.

And finally, the dungeons taking hours to beat. This is both good and bad; good in the way that, at least by the sounds of things, the dungeons are finally receiving that expanded treatment they so deserved and haven't seen since Majora's Mask. Bad in the sense that, at least from my being pessimistic, the dungeons will be largely filler rooms and feature more puzzles than enemies. Could be a trade off, could be what I want to see (combat centric dungeons with hordes of enemies), could be something completely wowing.

The release date doesn't sound about right for me. As I recall for Skyward Sword, Nintendo said they would release information when the time was right. I don't even think we got accurate leaks for SS back in the days of Zelda Wii, why would Wii U be any different?

Big Octo

=^)
I'd really like to believe this, but the source isn't very reliable. Also, a large deal of information was be disclosed, should it be true. Normally, information about the game is released gradually, especially in early stages of development. Also, the article mentions that it "won't be ready for E3 2013." ... What? The full game doesn't need to be presented, and if this rumor is true, it's good sufficient enough to demonstrate.

As cool as this sounds, this may very well be a hoax. Remember how many there were during the development of Skyward Sword?

hylianordonlink

The Hero Of Ordon
Truthfully, i hope so. I would hope that wii u zelda comes out in 2013 so i can acuallty buy it. I cant buy it this year for reasons i wont explain. But i hope its a great zelda like any other and dont expect anything too too different. I wonder if they will incorprat voice acting though...

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
Since it is a rumor I will not get excited about it. I've been let down with rumors before so don't be surprised if it's a hoax. Anyway it seems like a great idea especially if it's as huge as it describes and I wouldn't have anything wrong with a new or already used art style.

I'm not sure what to think on the legitimacy of the rumors, but I'm now more inclined to think they're false. Too many things don't add up, such as the sudden change from Aonuma's earlier statement that Zelda Wii U would feature more realistic graphics than Skyward Sword's style. Also of note is how the article claims work on Zelda Wii U started in 2010. They may have tossed around some ideas then, but the Wii U wasn't even close to being released (we're still counting down the months today). Not to mention almost all of their work was apparently spent on Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time 3D, and the 25th Anniversary Celebration, which pretty much guarantees the inability to work on a Zelda game for a console that hadn't been created yet.

If I remember correctly, one of the Zelda developers (Aonuma, Miyamoto, someone) said the next Zelda game wasn't going to involve nearly as big a commitment as Skyward Sword, as the former game took so much out of them. I don't recall the source, but I'm fairly certain I saw the quote somewhere.

Most everyone on Wii U Daily commenting on the article seems absolutely convinced the rumors are facts and not rumors. Maybe they trust Wii U Daily that much. I don't know enough about the site and its history to say whether they warrant such trust or not.

Long story short, I doubt most of the rumors we've heard will come to fruition, though my ears have perked up and I'll be paying closer attention in the coming months.

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The things that this article covers appear to be very promising and could make for a fantastic Zelda title. Albeit, the lack of verification is all that keeps me from wholeheartedly believing and supporting it. Need I remind everyone of the Valley of the Flood hoax? I wasn't all too impressed with the Valley Flood's storyline, but regardless, I don't want my hopes toward the Zelda WiiU's groundwork to be dashed because it wasn't true to begin with. So I'll keep my attention on the details as events related to these rumors continue to unfold.

As for now, I'll admit I'm pretty taken by the features as they are. Not sure what to make of the statement that it's going to look like Skyward Sword in High Def; I'll need to see screenshots before I can judge that. But graphics are irrelevant in terms of crafting a tremendous game that displays vibrant landmarks and such. Despite what it may look like aesthetically, how it plays is a much more important factor to me. Although I'd like to see a more detailed Link, as his design in SS was a little too...simple for me.

Multi-sectioned Dungeons (a Dungeon within a Dungeon—eeeek!) sounds like a cool concept. It seems like they're now aiming to take Skyward Sword's Surface and apply that to the Dungeons, effectively making them like the enormous areas for puzzles, again like the SS provinces. My only fear of this, though, is that it will deprive the overworld of an abundant amount of content, due to space restrictions. While bigger Temples are an advantageous idea, I don't want my overworld experience to be limited. In fact, if they are indeed becoming greater in size and function, then I don't see how Dungeons and overworlds can be distinguished as two separate planes; they might as well become the same. I'm just continuing to hope for another vast and highly detailed field, like Twilight Princess's overworld, but this time packed with activity on nearly every corner.

Finally, the GamePad appears to bring button mashing back into the equation, along with the added HUD-screen[?] for optional menu functions, and the like. Literally, this will introduce a widespread world of possibilities unlike any other that we've ever seen. It's still questionable as to whether I'll be purchasing a WiiU, but I need to at least play it for myself or watch others play it. Even if these rumors are proven to be untrue, I still imagine that the tablet controller will operate the same in an actual Zelda title. It's somewhat exhilarating just to think of the challenges that Nintendo could transfer to my screen, to integrate yet another invigorating experience, as Skyward Sword did.

Once again, this article is promising overall, but I won't blindly follow it until it's substantiated. Maybe, hopefully, idealistically, it will come true for once, and be a flawless game that the majority agrees was great through and through.

They just better make sure to use the Wii MotionPlus again.

They made no mention of the Wii Motion+ in the article, so even if these rumors are true I find it unlikely that they'll be using motion controls this time around. Perhaps they would make it optional, but by the looks of things in these rumors—as they are merely rumors until otherwise confirmed, namely by Nintendo—the gameplay will only be established around the tablet and its abilities.

If I remember correctly, one of the Zelda developers (Aonuma, Miyamoto, someone) said the next Zelda game wasn't going to involve nearly as big a commitment as Skyward Sword, as the former game took so much out of them. I don't recall the source, but I'm fairly certain I saw the quote somewhere.

Strange... I recall hearing the same thing some time ago. This statement of yours struck a chord of familiarity. I only wish that I could recollect when and where I heard it (possibly from a main site news article, but I've not read in one its entirety for months). But you never know. It could depend on when this insider got to see the test run of "Zelda WiiU". Just say Miyamoto [as an example] told an interviewer in 2011 that they weren't going to be as committed to this game as they were with Skyward Sword, but once they really started working on it in 2012 they got excited and changed their plans in that time. It likely didn't happen like that, yet it's very probably that Nintendo considered something else in the meantime and are pursuing that. Thus they would be invalidating what they told that interviewer in 2011, purportedly.

Last edited:

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I hope that all of this is valid info. I'd look forward to everything they stated in the article

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom