• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New To Pokemon

Honestly, I haven't even play a single Pokemon game in my life. I really want to though, I've seen some videos on some, and think they look pretty good! I have a D.S and a classic Gameboy. Which game's would you suggest I play first?

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
If you have a classic Gameboy, you could always try to get the original Red or Blue version, but that might cost you a lot more money than getting a newer game. If you can't get those, I recommend you start with Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon White, or Pokemon SoulSilver.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
It kind of depends on what console you have. If you have access to a GBA, or more preferably any DS console that has GBA access, I'd HIGHLY recommend Fire Red and Leaf Green. They're both remakes of the first generation, and were great remakes at that. If you don't have access to a GBA, then I recommend Heart Gold and Soul Silver, as those were remakes of the second generation. Additionally you could start with the fifth generation games (B/W and B2/W2), or even wait for X and Y to be released, but I'm a fan of playing the older games to get a good feel for the series.

willsfairysword

links assistant in combat
I think you should play red or blue first or their remakes on GBA (If you DS can play GBA). Heartgold and Soulsilver are PERFECT remakes of the second game in the series and you should at least try it. Platinum is a great game I personally think it's the best out of the 3 new main games of gen 4. Black and white are hit or miss games for a few people including my self so you should try black and white and see if you like it.

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
If you can get your hands on them, then I would suggest Red/Blue/Yellow. It can be difficult to get them in this day and age though, so Heart Gold/Soul Silver may be a better option. If your DS has a GBA port, then Fire Red/Leaf Green would be great options since they are remakes of the original games, with a lot of extra content. Also on the Gameboy, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald are my favourite Pokemon games, and were the ones that started me on the series.

It all depends on if you want to play the games that began the series, or play some newer games. If you do not play the original games or their remakes, then Black/White may be a good option since every Pokemon is new. You wouldn't have to worry about being unfamiliar with the classic Pokemon. It is almost like an original game of its own.

Alternatively, you could also wait for Pokemon X/Y to be released for the 3DS. However, since they are the only 3D handheld games, you may get too immersed in that, and then not want to play the classic older games.

Link-of-Lylat

It's me!
You have to get Pokemon White 2 first. It's the best! Well, you actually should get the first white for more things to do and see. If not those, then go with Heartgold. It's like the originals, but adds much more to the plate, like the safari zone and more legendaries.

If your DS can play GBA games, I'd go for Fire Red/Leaf Green first. The difficulty is just right for a beginner and it can show you the roots of the franchise. If not, go with HeartGold/SoulSilver because they're nearly perfect remakes of the second set of games, and they also do a great job of easing you into the series.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Actually, I wouldn't go any further back than the 3rd generation games if I were you. The mechanics from the first two generations were dramatically revamped in the third generation, and I don't think you'd get a proper feel for how the series plays now by playing Red/Blue or Gold/Silver.

If you have access to a GBA or can play GBA games on your DS then I'd recommend Emerald Version first. It was my first Pokemon game and it showed me the ropes of the series. The difficulty is just about right as well (ok the Hoenn Elite 4 kinda blow but whatever). Plus I love the presentation in the game, the soundtrack and battle animations are pretty awesome, and it has a wacky plot about doofuses trying to flood the world vs trying to cover the world in lava.

If you don't have access to that, though, then I'd recommend Black/White 1 or 2. Depends on how much emphasis you place on story in games. If you do, then Black/White 1 is perfect. It has a plot unlike any before or since, one that really goes into why people battle with Pokemon. It's sorta a deconstruction of the series as a whole, now that I look at it. But if you don't really care about that and just want to fight, then Black 2/ White 2 all the way. It's not quite as deep of a plot as the first ones, but it compensates for it by being the best damn iteration of a Pokemon game I've ever seen. Everything is superb; battle animations are fluid and impactful, it has Pokemon from all the generations so you can create the team you really want instead of being restricted to the Unovan Pokemon like the first ones do, it has a ton of stuff to do on the sides (my favorite's PokeStudios), it's the best game on the DS in terms of visuals and audio, and the most important part: it's actually pretty challenging at times. Several parts I was put into a corner by either the gym leaders or Team Plasma, and when I was fighting Colress I almost died (You don't understand, that NEVER happens to me in a Pokemon game!) Plus, after the main quest there's a crapton of really strong fighters to battle, and the Unovan Pokemon League on Challenge Mode is the hardest thing I've done in a Pokemon game (particularly if you're trying to do the Type Medal challenges like I am). Also there is the Pokemon World Tournament, where you can enter competitions with all the gym leaders from all the regions. Freaking amazing!

Actually, screw all that. Just get Black/White 2 now.

Last edited:
S

StickDude

If your DS has a GBA port then your should definitely play Fire Red/Leaf Green first because they're remakes of the original games on the classic Gameboy with updated mechanics and graphics.

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
I'm a Pokémon Emerald fanboy, so I recommend that more than anything ever. It's definitely one of my favourite games ever, but not many people like R/S/E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom