• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Theory on Swordless Link in Zelda Wii

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Many people have this idea that the girl in the screen shot for Zelda Wii MUST be the Master Sword because she has TINY resemblances to the Master Sword.

1. Her head looks nothing like a blade. It's actually the exact same design as the Fairy Queen from WW.
2. Her cape is not pointed the same way and is not shaped the same way as the design on the hilt of the Master Sword.
3. She's a girl wearing netting on her legs. That doesn't mean that it's supposed to resemble the cross design on the handle of the Master Sword.
4. There are 3 different designs for the Master Sword. She only KIND OF resembles one of those 3 designs. What about the others?

None of those are to be discussed in this thread so please leave whatever feelings you have towards her being the Master Sword or not to yourself.

This thread is about a different idea I have.

Miyamoto says that TP is the end of Zelda as it currently is. Basically saying that from here on out the series is going to be totally different. There has been talk of first person combat (Oblivion gameplay is what I think of from that). Now the idea of the series totally changing and the fact that Miyamoto has emphasized the lack of sword in the picture with Link makes me think.

What if this lack of sword symbolizes that Link won't JUST use a sword. Maybe this lack of sword symbolizes the utilization of other weapons. This could be a hint that there will be other melee weapons to use other than a sword. The fact that there is no sword in the picture could be to allow fans to imagine Link with other types of weapons.

What do you guys think? Once again, please don't start discussing the girl being the Master Sword. This is not the thread for that.

Last edited:
I think Aonuma mentioned some of his interviews that they were currently recording sword sounds at the studio, so Link will most likely still use good ol' sword.

I wouldnt say tiny resemblances, at all. Any of the Master Sword designs, besides that of A Link to the Past, have great resemblance to her.

Also, they way her cape is pointing down resembles the Master Sword in Wind Waker, before it had any power. Maybe she lost her power, and in a last resort kinda way to keep the chance to regain power.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I think Aonuma mentioned some of his interviews that they were currently recording sword sounds at the studio, so Link will most likely still use good ol' sword.

I'm not saying there won't be a sword. I'm just suggesting maybe other weapons will be used too.

I wouldnt say tiny resemblances, at all. Any of the Master Sword designs, besides that of A Link to the Past, have great resemblance to her.

Also, they way her cape is pointing down resembles the Master Sword in Wind Waker, before it had any power. Maybe she lost her power, and in a last resort kinda way to keep the chance to regain power.

What part of "this isn't the thread to talk about the girl being the Master Sword" didn't you understand? You clearly didn't read the OP where it says DON'T TALK ABOUT THE GIRL BEING THE MASTER SWORD. It's even bolded, underlined and italicised for you. Thanks for listening. Now back to the actual topic.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Kinda like the items in the other games, but used for combat rather than for solving puzzles, and more easily switchable?
Sounds very interesting. I never would have guessed that Nintendo would do that, but with what they've been saying lately I can't doubt much of anything really.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
i think this would be awesome i mean id love for link to use weapons like a pike or maybe more emphasize on the bow. But we all know that their will be a sword every zelda game has a sword. And him not having a sword in the picture and having a fairy type person next to him could show that he uses more magic spells like the ones in ALTTP and OOT

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
You mean like an axe? That would be so cool if Zelda started using other close combat weapons like axes! I could just see Link wielding some kind of 'Master Axe'! I actually would like it if there was more than a sword.

Heck maybe they'll even give the different weapons different traits and abilities like the axe is really tough but kinda slow, the sword is medium strength and fast, and so on. Ooh and maybe they'll also have certain parts where you'd need to use a certain weapon. Like you're battling a darknut and your sword won't do squat. You bust out the axe and slash his armor off then his speed goes up meaning you have to switch back to your sword.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
^ Those are some good ideas, Master Kokiri. I am a hardcore Zelda fan and I would welcome the idea of using different weapons with open arms. I think that using a sword is awesome, but expanding the weaponbase would open all sorts of possibilities. Of course there will still be a sword, but why can't there be a Master Spear or Master Axe rather than a Master Sword? It would definitely add a lot to the series to add other melee weapons. The one thing I don't want to see happen is a first person Zelda game which is something Aonuma mentioned was possible. I'm not a big fan of Oblivion's combat system and that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think about first person fighting. If Zelda turned into an Oblivion type game I would most likely lose the good majority of my interest in the gameplay.

I never actually thought she resembled the Master Sword. The funny thing is that right before the first time I stumbled on this picture, I was reading about the Fairy Queen. I instantly thought they were the same, or at least similar.

Sounds like a cool idea to me. But I would hate for a core gameplay mechanic, swordplay, to be divided up into different weapons, like an axe as you mention, thereby taking away time from the sword. I'm REALLY looking forward to using Wii Motion Plus in Zelda Wii, mainly because I want to swing a sword with precision. That's what Miyamoto could've meant all those years back. "This is the last game that you'll be pressing a button to use a sword." After all, that's a pretty huge jump in gameplay right?

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
i think that the master sword should still be the only master weapon. But that these other weapons should be accessible and maybe link can hold one at a time (because of the size of the weapons) but he still needs to keep his most prominent weapons the bow, boomerang (not gale), and hookshot.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I don't think they should be Master weapons, as that would detract from the importance of the Master Sword. ...unless the Master Sword itself transformed into these other weapons. Or Link gets these plain old weapons and the 'master sword girl' puts her 'spirit' into them to give them 'Master' status. But that would mean she is the spirit of the Master Sword, which she isn't.

Maybe you shouldn't mention her not being the sword at all in your post if you didn't want it mentioned whatsoever.

Anyways, Link using another weapon aside from a sword would be nice and all, but it wouldn't feel like Zelda...more like Golden Axe Warrior.

dumb180

Warrior Postman
I think it would be a nice idea, just so long as the sword remains the primary weapon. Having something like an axe, flail, or mace in the inventory would be spiffy. If they put more joust battles in Zelda Wii, I think it'd be cool to see him with a polearm.

I'd want it to be limited to one or two new melee additions (assuming any occur), because this could get out of hand. People seemed to dislike the only Zelda rpg, and excessive weapon customization power would probably take the series in that direction.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
While I'm not a huge fan of the idea of Link using other major weapons like that, it could still be good. It would just depend on the weapons, and as long as there was only 1 or 2 others types. How it would be implemented would also change my stance on this. Like everything else though, we'll just have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom