• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Takes on Link in the Future?

Gohma

Mmmmmmmmmh... BOMBS
I want back that feeling of growing in strenght(power?), like in TP.
Through the game you learned from an ancient warrior a lot of 'hidden skills', and I really loved that.
Also, the scene in the Bokoblin village, where you fight against hundreds of enemies was awesome...
I want a game where you really feel like you are a hero, an invincible warrior, which is the kingdom's only hope... I loved that part on the bridge with the Bulbin king. Telma asks you if you know him, and I almost had the same expression as Link during the cutscene! x)

Upgrading weapons, wearing some kind of armor, and fighting more powerful warriors (I loved Darknut fights too :clap:), like DarkLink0602 said, would be AWESOME (I know some of you don't like the word 'epic' xD)! :cool:

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
The mention of 1800s style cowboy... I wrote something simliar to that. Heh.

Anyway, I'm really *not* in favor of changing the basic Link archetype. He's classic - the regular person from humble circumstances that becomes involved in circumstances in which he must become the Hero. He's both destined to/born to it and becomes it, so "cliche' fantasy book #50,883" as the story feels, it's good and classic and is just... Link... you know?

One thing I would like to see just for once, just to change things up a bit, is an adult Link (early 20s, not more than 30s, probably) who ALREADY IS MARRIED WITH A FAMILY. This may kill the ZeLinkers' dreams (unless his poor wife gets killed in the process of the game/story?) but I think it could add interest to the character. In this way, he's not just called by giant talking trees, getting used or saving a stranger, or even saving his kingdom - he would be saving and protecting HIS FAMILY which would definitely add some "fire" to his character.

In Wind Waker, Link had very good reason for his quest - he had to save his little sister. I bet all of us (those who liked the game, anyway) had some strong feeling over that - "Oh, noes! You took my sister!!!" I'm the youngest in my family, am an adult and don't even have a little sis to protect in real life and I felt that way. Now, can you imagine a strong, older Link who is called upon to protect his own kids?

I think that would be cool, because it could put more at stake in the story. (Even if the family isn't kidnapped, but stays in the village while Dad goes off to be a Hero, it's like... I think they would give Link more than Hyrule to defend).

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
While I'd agree that I'm happy with the same old Link all the time, if we had to see a change, I would like to see an older, seasoned knight version of Link. He could be the top knight in the service of protecting Zelda, who could be a child. I think having him as a grizzled veteran of battles protecting a child would be kind of interesting.

I also think that he could have his own family. I really liked Hena in TP, and thought it would be interesting if the follow-up game would be where she and Link settled down together. I know Ilia was the lined-up love interest of the game that really went nowhere, but for some reason Hena felt... comfortable? I'm not sure what. At any rate, Link as a 40-some adult with a wife and child in the knight position from above would be cool for a change.

He can still hold the same qualities as Links past, but just be older, wiser and more experienced.

If we had to step completely outside of the mould, then I would probably choose a more cowboy setting. I rather liked the qestern quality to the Hidden Village in TPO, and the classic western shootout scenes that it seemed to be inspired from, music and all.

While it would be sad to see the period LoZ's currently set in disappear, I'm sure I could live with a western setting. It's the least touched genre in video games right now (that actually HAVE video games that is, since there's not too many pre-historic titles right now...) I just don't think we need crazy-future Link on his Epona motorcycle with the Master Lightsaber just yet.

I think it needs to change....for a change. Aside from cell-shaded Link, and the little elfin kid we seen in LoZ, Link has generally been the same; No older than 20, green tunic, sword and shield. To me, no one says anything or cares because the can't fathom Link being anything than a young, green-clad boy who can somehow overcome impossible odds and turn into a legendary hero.

Well seeing this thread got me thinking about differences. What haven't we seen? What is a possibility to explore? Then my mind shifted to Metal Gear Solid 4. Yes, the so called "last" MGS game, mainly because Snake gets all old. Well, the advantage that Zelda has is that it doesn't have to hold on to one particular Link. So what I propose is that we have a new Zelda game with an old Link. Not a Link that is 95 and has to use the Master Sword as a crutch everywhere he goes, but a Link that is more around the ages of 40-50.

It could be a previous hero maybe, one who defeated Ganon and saved the world at one point as a young child, but has to resume his role as hero at an older age because he has no son, no daughter, and no other young boy can do it. Plus, him being a known hero would already put the faith of the Hylian (or wherever) people in him and no one else. Being older, his adventures would prove more challenging on his body and endurance. We could also get a lot more used to this character as well, or a lot more personal with him, because we would sort of feel sorry that he is this legendary hero who now has to live up to the title that he probably didn't ask for in the beginning, but feels compelled to live up to, so he has to literally struggle through the adventure. It would be EPIC to have him come back and defeat Ganon again as an older man, then die from exhaustion at the end. It would definitely be one of the more emotional Zelda titles, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom