• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Super Mario Bros. U: A Genuine 2D Progression

15dp1

Uninvited pushover.
15dp8

Koopalings have their own airships this time around.
It's no secret that I'm a huge Super Mario fan and if you haven't figured this out already, then shame on you. The 3D installments blow me away in terms of innovation but 2D Mario is still king for a quick, fun romp through the Mushroom Kingdom. The New Super Mario Bros. games, however, seemed subpar. They failed to enthrall me. That is until New Super Mario Bros. 2 released. Nintendo upped the ante in terms of level design and expanded longevity through Coin Rush mode which directly complemented the game's primary gimmick of collecting one million coins.

The company appears poised to redefine platforming once more later this year on the Wii U by combining the best of the series' past and present in crafting a convincing future. It's no surprise Nintendo should do this either. The DS original thrived on the nostalgia of being the first 2D Mario in 15 years, the Wii game added a cooperative mode, the most recent 3DS title ushered a new era of DLC compatibility for Nintendo. New Super Mario Bros. U is doing just that and more, in obvious and subtle manners which this thread will endeavor to explain.

The first minor difference you'll notice is rather than abducting Peach from her castle, Bowser's giant airship hand dispenses of the Mario Bros. and places Toadstool under house arrest. This may not seem like much but these minor differences eventually add up to create a genuinely "new whole". During this same introductory scene we see the Koopalings have airships of their own to boot. This suggests that perhaps the final world castles are used as mere stopgaps prior to propelling into the sky much like Super Mario Bros. 3. In fact, we are shown a scene where Mario, Luigi, and the two Toads climb the castle ramparts with Roy Koopa's airship zooming overhead.

15dMX

A...a connected overworld map?!​
If an eccentric start isn't enough to justify the zany nature of this installment, then the throwbacks to some of Mario's freshest should convince you otherwise. Contrary to what mainstream media claims, the Squirrel suit is more similar to the Bunny than Raccoon Suit in its ability to allow Mario to glide towards the ground in a slow descent. The familiar connected overworld map from Super Mario World returns once more.
15dHR

Bazooka time!​
Perhaps this insinuates that certain hidden pathways will breed a new speedrun culture. If you knew the right way, only 12 levels out of SMW's 96 needed to be completed to topple Bowser, after all. Speaking of Super Mario World, Yoshi's return brings both new and old with the drunk and overstuffed variations. Perhaps another hint will be taken from the SNES hit and the green dinosaur may be taken with Mario outside of its original level unlike in NSMB Wii. On top of the World 2 Fortress we also see Boom Boom as he appears in Super Mario 3D Land. Does this imply his newly engaged boomerang wielding girlfriend will rear her face once more as well? Koopaling design is fresh as well with Roy Koopa wielding a bullet bill shooting bazooka. For once the fights actually appear to be challenging.

15dNa

Boom Boom
looms overhead.
And of course there are the new Boost and Challenge modes to boot. These won't make or break the game but much like Coin Rush in NSMB 2 add extra replay incentive. The first appears to be frantic fun for the entire family to enjoy whereas the latter will challenge Mario players to the edge of their sanity, a cruel mode so to speak. The Nintdndo Network logo on the cover art suggests that downloadable stages will be available at a later date.

That's my view on how NSMB U melds the old with modern gameplay elements to deserve the "new" prefix for the first time in eight years since the DS game. What are your thought on New Super Mario Bros. U? Are you fond of the numerous throwbacks included? Which new element(s) excite you most? Feel free to add anything I may have forgotten!

Dan

Interesting thread ol bean. Were you wearing your Mario underwear while you typed it?

While not at the top of my priority list, this is a game I’m looking into. Can’t beat that stubby Italian plumber’s hope, now can ya? ;D Challenge and boost rush modes look to be the most worthwhile additions. It’s nice to see Nintendo expanding series modes. My only gripe is the lack of online multiplayer. Bit harsh on Ninty’s part.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I have to be completely honest, I found New Super Mario Bros. 2 very underwhelming. I won't go into detail, just read my thoughts on the game here. Essentially, the boredom hits me like a ton of bricks. The same can be said for the other two games preceding it in the franchise, with New Super Mario Bros for the DS and Wii getting very boring very quickly. Once the player collects the final star coin, the games have nothing to do in them. This is my concern for New Super Mario Bros U. Coin rush did little in wanting me to pick up NSMB2 more, and I'm certain that I will find this boost mode just as unlikely to catch my interest.

I'm a person who enjoys a large amount of detail in the little areas, and it appears this is the case for the Wii-U game. The changes such as travelling towards peach's castle and the connected lands are ones I am a fan of.

I'm one of those types that isn't that fond of Mario, the last game i truly loved of Mario was Mario 64, and while i loved a lot of his 2D games, his 3D games like sunshine and Galaxy as well as all of his spin off have continuously underwhelmed and disappointed me since the N64 days... I don't hate Mario its just there are so many other franchises that i find more interesting. I do however still buy the main Mario games like his 3D outings and Mario Kart (though i really don't know why, i guess im still hoping for a decent version at some point). And of course I bought New Super Mario Bros Wii...

As far as NSMB Wii and DS go, i preferred the DS version. But i don't like this new series as a whole, yes, its nice that it feels like the final realisation of Mario 3 (a game that i don't know why people love so much as opposed to other 2d games...) But the fact that the 'New' games are a series now really makes me feel disappointed with every installment that is likely to come out... with NSMB2 on the 3DS i saw the compulsion for players to grab all the coins they could but it still felt like a desperate gimmick on nintendo's part to bring coin collecting, an element that has always been there, into the foreground and make it the aim of the game... With NSMBU, i'm still not blown away, it looks like the last 3 games in the series barring a couple of new modes. At least back in the hey day of 2D the games were very different while being part of the same series... But now to me the 'New' series looks like a copy and paste with each new installment.

NSMBU looks to have some decent modes in that look set to challenge gamers and give them some fun things to do but it doesn't feel like a progression to me, in fact it already looks stale and the new things mentioned don't thrill me because even though they're new they still sound so familiar, you can add as many new things to something as you want but it still looks, sounds and feels like the same game we've played 3 times now. Perhaps all the 'New' series is is a way of seeing how nintendo can re-imagine and recreate the challenges of old on more powerful consoles.

Nice article, I too am very excited for this release. I think it looks promising and fun; it seems Nintendo is upping the ante with upcoming releases, and I believe New Super Mario Bros. U will introduce a lot of new, innovative features, and undoubtedly be amazingly fun.

One thing I am Really looking forward to is the re-introduction of baby yoshis and Yoshis alike. I thought that was one of the most enjoyable features of Super Mario World, and to see them returning with all new abilities and uses makes me very excited. I can't wait to see Mario in beautiful, colorful HD!

18 hours after this post, the guys over at Gamexplain posted their own analysis of the trailer. I'm surprised by the similarities we've noted. Passionate Super Mario Bros. fans think alike.

What excites me the most is the variety in castle and boss battle design. Wendy's lair looked absolutely stellar with a factory theme mixed in with the ice and thwomps of all size-thwimps, regular, and giant-dotting the arena.

With the confirmation of the Ice Flower power-up, I'm wondering if the Penguin Suit will return once more. Although the suits are similar in freezing ability, the Penguin Suit also offers the nice sliding ability. We've seen the penguin enemies the power-up is based on in a trailer therefore seeing it reappear wouldn't be far fetched.

Anyhow, in the spirit of analysis and information dissemination:

[video=youtube;oPSRSPCwqnc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPSRSPCwqnc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[video=youtube;3-x_SAzZEPI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-x_SAzZEPI&feature=relmfu[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom