• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 Vs. New Super Mario Bros. U

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
As the title suggests, I've made this thread to see which of the two New Super Mario Bros. titles you're looking forward to the most. So which one is it? 2? Or U?

Personally, I'd have to say 2. U looks good, and all, but it looks like absolutely nothing new with a whole lotta rehash of the past. It legit heavily reminds me of Super Mario World, and that's a game that goes back to the SNES days. That's not a good thing. While it's imperative to keep the core aspects of a series, simply re-using and polishing the old isn't going to do much in terms of making a series better. It's still going to be the same old thing with a shiny new coat. I may be wrong, as it may actually wind up being quite unique, even for Mario's standards, but the trailer and gameplay footage I've seen doesn't really suggest that'll be the case.

Now, as for 2... I think it looks freakin' brilliant. I've never seen coins used like they are in any Mario game. Lol, I know they aren't becoming revolutionary in terms of use, or anything, but just look at dem coins! They're everywhere! I think adding in the intense amount of coins to collect while completing levels is going to provide an interesting change of pace and definitely provide an addicting amount of replay value, which, face it, is one of the biggest things Mario needs. Mario isn't a series trying to change gaming. It's a series trying to do unique things specific to each game and provide hours upon hours of fun that's always worth coming back to again and again. 2 really looks like it's going to provide that for me. Can't say the same about U. Again, I may be wrong about that game, but I think I've been given plenty of reason to be doubtful about it.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Looking forward to 2 more. Firstly, it's portable. Second... Nah, that's about it.

One thing I am worried about, though, is that all those coins means tons of lives. I want Mario games to be harder.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
New Super Mario Bros. U for me. I don't know, New Super Mario Bros. 2, while I'm sure will be just as good as any other Mario title, just isn't really doing anything too interesting. The coin gimmick might be fun for a while, but can get old really quickly and just can't hold an entire video game by itself. New Super Mario Bros. U just looks a lot more appealing in every aspect. It has a couple of new features, none of which really excite me, but overall look more enjoyable than NSMB2. Especially since it's a much larger scale video game than NSMB2 which is on a handheld. Graphically, NSMBU looks amazing and the level design looks just as great as always, if not, better. Honestly, NSMB2 is the inferior game here that is trying to sell itself with a cheap (ironic) gimmick.

Last edited:

MW7

I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought that they were the same game until a few days ago. Now I'd say that NSMB2 looks like it will be the better game, but I'm more likely to buy NSMBU because I think I may pick up a Wii U early on and will want to play a new Mario on it.

I was actually thinking of making a thread regarding this topic of my mine but noticed our lad JuicieJ already has all bases covered.

I'm equally excited for both games. The 3DS and Wii U installments appear to be far superior to their predecessors. New Super Mario Bros. 2 excites me not only due to its coin gimmick but also the return of the Koopalings as well as Reznor, the dash cannon, the new dry enemies, and multiplayer in a handheld Mario game for the first time. New Super Mario Bros. U, on the other hand, boasts amazing graphics and the return of Yoshi although in its cute baby form initially until enough enemies are swallowed. Moreover, Mii Verse connectivity looks to up the ante. Assuming the same pattern is followed as with the last duo of titles, I'd assume the Wii U game will feature original bosses (much like the 2006 DS counterpart) since Bowser's progeny is taking over the 3DS screen in under a month.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
U looks like it will trump 2...but oh wait! They're both pretty much the same thing. I still go with U, I'm sure it will beat out 2 but I know I'll enjoy both. It isn't like 2 will have some gamebreaking new feature that U won't, or vice versa.

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
While we're on the subject, check out the Everything We Know About New Super Mario Bros. 2 article over at GenGAME.net. Perhaps it'll help sway opinions one way or the other.

Personally, the whole coin theme and "trying to get to a million coins total" makes New Super Mario Bros. 2 a much higher candidate on my to-get list. The Wii U game just looks like previous NSMB games with improved graphics and new powerups, and that just sounds boring.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is more of a Nostalgic game where as New Super Mario Bros. U looks more of a new idea game. I haven't seen much of New Super Mario Bros. U as Much as New Super Mario Bros. 2, so I'm looking more forward to New Super Mario Bros. 2.

Last edited:

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
New Super Mario Bros. U looks like New Super Mario Bros. Wii with new levels. New Super Mario Bros. 2 looks like it could be great fun with the new added gimmick. So I'm looking forward to New Super Mario Bros. 2 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom