• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 Doesn't Look too Good

I think that the newest edition in the Mario series doesn't look so great. At least according to the doofus(that's me) who's face looks like this :cooky:. But I think it feels like rehash of the original New super Mario bros. Even individual levels feel like rearranged versions of there original counterparts. But coin rush mode is pretty cool. Please tell me your opinions though.

I have to agree with you, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is just a repeat of New Super Mario Bros. Wii and there aren't many new features apart from the coin rush. I think it's about time Nintendo did something new with the Super Mario bros. series because the whole thing is getting stale. Because it will practically be the same thing, I'm not very hyped about New Super Mario Bros. U.

Don't get me wrong, they are fun to play, but I do wish Nintendo would do something new then just constantly collecting Star Coins and saving Princess Peach all the time. Super Mario 3D Land was a step in the right direction, but then that game really lacked difficulty and was the same old plot again.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I agree that NSMB2 is pretty much a rehash of NSMBDS. I got the game expecting awesomness (and it is, mind you), but it isn't to the degree I personally hold Mario games. There isn't anything relatively hard to do aside from collecting all Star Coins and obtaining the goal of 1 million coins (lol grind grind grind). Levels were a bit too simplistic. It is probably due to the game being restricted to two dimensions, as well as it being a 2012 game -- games in this generation are naturally easy.

Nintendo obviously produced New Super Mario Bros. 2 because the 2D platformers sell well. I agree that it lacks creativity in comparison to the Super Mario Galaxy games or even Super Mario 3D Land on the same system but at the end of the day it's the familiar, slightly refurbished frantic, familiar, and fun formula which has withstood the test of time.

If you're a Mario fan I definitely suggest checking NSMB2 out. It's the best of the trio in the 2D renaissance subseries. The abundant use of the raccoon suit brings especial joy to my heart, a fantastic throwback to Super Mario Bros. 3, whereas Reznor and the Clown Cart conjure memories from Super Mario World.

Coin Rush is definitely a great replay incentive adding an extra layer of value. Its emphasis on collecting the most coins in the shortest amount of time is reminiscent to the arcade play style of the NES originals. My only gripe is that there are no new levels available exclusively for this mode although the promise of future DLC should alleviate that problem.

Fig

The Altruist
Nintendo obviously produced New Super Mario Bros. 2 because the 2D platformers sell well. I agree that it lacks creativity in comparison to the Super Mario Galaxy games or even Super Mario 3D Land on the same system but at the end of the day it's the familiar, slightly refurbished frantic, familiar, and fun formula which has withstood the test of time.

If you're a Mario fan I definitely suggest checking NSMB2 out. It's the best of the trio in the 2D renaissance subseries. The abundant use of the raccoon suit brings especial joy to my heart, a fantastic throwback to Super Mario Bros. 3, whereas Reznor and the Clown Cart conjure memories from Super Mario World.

Coin Rush is definitely a great replay incentive adding an extra layer of value. Its emphasis on collecting the most coins in the shortest amount of time is reminiscent to the arcade play style of the NES originals. My only gripe is that there are no new levels available exclusively for this mode although the promise of future DLC should alleviate that problem.

My words exactly. Though it is simple, it is an amazing game. I still play to this day trying to collect a million coins. I actually quite like the concept of collecting as many coins as quickly as possible. :D

Dan

I admit it's pretty much the same, I was also quite skeptical whether to get it or not. Caved in anyway and had a blast. You may as well go for it. ;) You know you wanna.

It is a great game, I don't know why so many people are saying the levels have no depth, there are many memorable levels in the game, and the level design was not poor. I think it was a great installment, and although I've already reached one million coins, I still find it enjoyable.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this, but I just don't care about Mario these days anymore.

Oh sure they're still fun to play, especially in a multiplayer setting. And I still hold the SMB1-3, World, and 64 in high regard. In a purely games-as-fun argument they win hands down. And their spinoffs multiplayer games are still a blast.

But the series' refusal to improve its bare-bones story and the rehashed level designs are more than I can take anymore. I crave deep stories in my games now. The medium has proven to me in quite a few cases that it can be the most effective and impacting storytelling medium out there, and I wish for other games to step up to the plate. Mario refuses to do so, so I'm leaving him in the dust.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
I can't say if it's a good game or not, since I haven't bought it yet. But I agree it doesn't look so great, only thing new by the looks of it is coin collecting, and just rehashing everything from the old games. I miss when Mario games got different every time.

I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this, but I just don't care about Mario these days anymore.

Oh sure they're still fun to play, especially in a multiplayer setting. And I still hold the SMB1-3, World, and 64 in high regard. In a purely games-as-fun argument they win hands down. And their spinoffs multiplayer games are still a blast.

But the series' refusal to improve its bare-bones story and the rehashed level designs are more than I can take anymore. I crave deep stories in my games now. The medium has proven to me in quite a few cases that it can be the most effective and impacting storytelling medium out there, and I wish for other games to step up to the plate. Mario refuses to do so, so I'm leaving him in the dust.

Nope, no hate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom