• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Nintendo Console: Wii U

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I am loving what I see so far. I pretty much squealed when I saw this. I love how you can also use it along side with the WiiMote. This system certainly looks innovative enough, and it has great potential. The controller I think is great as well. While I do think it looks a little big, I don't think it looks uncomfortable at all. It just reminds me of a gameboy advance/DS. Only bigger. The touch screen is a nice...touch and I like how you can still play the games on the controller if the TV is occupied. :P

Based off of what I've seen so far, this system has the ability to become my favourite console.

I am loving what I see so far. I pretty much squealed when I saw this. I love how you can also use it along side with the WiiMote. This system certainly looks innovative enough, and it has great potential. The controller I think is great as well. While I do think it looks a little big, I don't think it looks uncomfortable at all. It just reminds me of a gameboy advance/DS. Only bigger. The touch screen is a nice...touch and I like how you can still play the games on the controller if the TV is occupied. :P

Based off of what I've seen so far, this system has the ability to become my favourite console.

yes I would have to agree with you there! It looks really cool! But sadly I won't be getting it until the price goes down. :( But thats ok cause I gots a 3DS! :D

written on my 3DS.

Kybyrian

I think this new idea looks rather interesting, and it doesn't seem too complicated to me. Hands-on demos of the console show that the transition from the controller to the TV and back is very smooth and has no extreme difference. The controls should go very fast with the ability of the touch screen on the controller, so selecting items from a menu that displays separately on the controller actually seems like a really good idea to me. I think Nintendo is doing a great job with this console, and I don't know why so many people are saying they are unimpressed. I think it looks like a great idea that can be utilized very well.

My only big concern is that companies that develop games for the system are going to try to utilize the gimmicks too much, which will ultimately make it a big failure. They did that with some of the Kinect games, and I think it will result in the downfall of the Xbox 360. Microsoft says it's going to go to the #1 seller worldwide because of this, but I sincerely doubt that. The gimmicks they are utilizing in horrible ways absolutely ruined Kinect and my opinion of Microsoft. I trust Nintendo and the companies that develop games for them to not emphasize on the gimmicks too much, but keep it interesting and easy to use in a way that makes sense at the same time. There may be that flop game every once in a while, but I have confidence in the companies that make things that could be a big hit to not ruin it.

The price is another thing that worries me (and Nintendo). They said that they know that price will be a huge barrier if they can't get it right, so they're intent on selling it at the right price. So far sources say that the console could very likely sell for over $250, which is what we see with a lot of the systems right now. Let's just hope that the console doesn't exceed that $300 mark. Nintendo knows the system well enough to know that if they make the price too high it will result in disappointment for both them and the fans.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Now, this may look crazy amazing, with a screen in a controller and everything, but...I dunno, doesn't it seem a bit complicated? with so many elements in a console, it can become very overwhelming to actually keep track of so many different aspects at once. With a touch screen, motion detection, and two screens to keep track of, it might get kind of...distracting.

The 3DS. It has all of that. ;)

To be honest, I think the concept seems very interesting. Most people seem to be all abuzz about it, and, well, if so many people think great things of it, then I'm all for the new control scheme.

The system is already looking promising since it seems to have good graphics. Although, I'm starting to think it'll be either pretty expensive, especially because of the controller. It's got a lot of stuff packed in, and I think that's gonna raise the price of the system package.

The extra third party support also seems promising, and the graphics look pretty impressive.

All in all, I'm excited for the Wii U, I think it's a pretty interesting concept and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

EDIT: Also, something I forgot to mention the first time, I don't like the design of the actual Wii U console. Sure, it does look super cool and stuff, but it takes up way too much shelf space.

Already, between my Wii, Gamecube, N64, PS2, and SNES/NES (I got one of those Twin Duo Famicom things that play both), I'm already scrounging for shelf space in my room. Even if I unplugged my Wii and put that in storage somewhere (which I most likely will be doing once I get the Wii U since it's backwards compatible and there aren't any Wii exclusive peripherals I'd miss, unlike the Gamecube and Gameboy Player), I still wouldn't have enough room for the Wii U on my shelf.

Last edited:

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I think what we saw with the trailer is fake. and i say this because when they show Wii Sports, the miis have the new features of the 3DS (in particular the hair of the blonde mii). and the catching mechanic seemed too fake and fixed.

this could just be my opinion, and i'm probably totally wrong. keep in mind that this is a NEW home console, so they probably updated the Mii Channel. but just everything about that scene has me wondering. like, even the character models for the pitcher and the batter look fake. another thing i noticed was in the beginning of the trailer, Mario looks at the camera (or breaks the fourth wall).

so, i don't know... only time will tell...

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...nsole-and-controller-wont-be-sold-separately/

This could be troubling: Apparently the console is limited to 1 Wii U controller ever! No more than 1! Every other player will have to have a wiimote and nunchuk.

*dies a little inside*

Hmm...that's cause for concern, but bear in mind that this is still a very early stage for the Wii U. Down the line we could easily see support for multiplayer using more than one Wii U controller. I would not rule it out of its future~ :)

As to the comfort of the controller, I've been looking at hands-on impressions for it and people actually seem to be saying that it's quite comfortable.
Here is one for example:
[video=youtube;pHDSA3F-57I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHDSA3F-57I&feature=player_embedded#at=35[/video]

Also, for people disliking the design, it is being said that this controller is only a prototype. The final design will probably look better.

Last edited:

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
...It's going to be uncomfortable to hold. Nintendo hasn't really understood for about six years now that controllers have to be ergonomic. Watch the third party market for sleeves that make it easier to hold, because I guarantee you that you will want one. Something that large will be agonizing to hold for too long without good grips, which is clearly lacks.
Ok, it's really not that big of a controller. Just take a Nook or Kindle and turn it on its side and that's the WiiU controller. It's really no big deal...
6.jpg
nook_front_view_270x359.jpg

DLC

Soul Drummer.
This looks awesome. I will probabaly get this in christmas of 2012. so That's like, 2 yrs off. I just want it to have drastically different graphics. catch up N! OH and ONe of the N people said that they are working on adding more of these controllers than one. according to NVC at least. also, i want actual joysticks:). not sliders.:(

I'm sure it'll be fine to hold on to. I haven't really encountered a Nintendo controller that was really uncomfortable so... the only one that sucked for me was the N64 controller, but that was only because I was like 8 years old and my hands couldn't really fit the controller, so... no issues. The only thing is that the controllers will probably be really expensive because they have a friggin touch screen built in.

GanonSlayr

Vermin Supreme 2012!!!
I think it looks very cool, but if it exceeds the 300 mark, I don't think I'll get it. ever. I don't have that kind of money. I'm gonna have to sell my wii in order to get it. I probably won't even have enough money then either. my parents wouldn't pitch in either, as they are against me playing video games In general. my hands are really small, so even if the controller is the size of the kindle, it doesn't look too comftorable. also, if it cant have more than one wii u controller, I'm not getting it. period. I am sick of the wiimotes. also, the controllers sound really expensive too. also nintendo, THE GRAPHICS must be good!!!! I'm tired of people b****ing about the wii's graphics. make it on par or better than the Xbox 3 or the PS4. I am really excited for ninja gaiden 3 and Zelda HD. I also really want a good game library. I thought the wii was
lacking. It also needs to have more than two controllers!!! i'm sick of wiimotes.

Last edited:

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
I think it looks very cool, but if it exceeds the 300 mark, I don't think I'll get it. ever. I don't have that kind of money. I'm gonna have to sell my wii in order to get it. I probably won't even have enough money then either. my parents wouldn't pitch in either, as they are against me playing video games In general. my hands are really small, so even if the controller is the size of the kindle, it doesn't look too comftorable. also, if it cant have more than one wii u controller, I'm not getting it. period. I am sick of the wiimotes. also, the controllers sound really expensive too. also nintendo, THE GRAPHICS must be good!!!! I'm tired of people b****ing about the wii's graphics. make it on par or better than the Xbox 3 or the PS4. I am really excited for ninja gaiden 3 and Zelda HD. I also really want a good game library. I thought the wii was
lacking.

If you need graphics to make a game console good, then you are not a true gamer. Thats all I'm saying about graphics. As for the library, WHAT!? The wii had one of the best, no THE best library of this generation. Brawl, okami, mario wii, donkey kong country returns, twilight princess, galaxy 1 & 2, red steel two, no more heroes one and two, metroid prime three, and tatsunoko vs. capcom. I could go on for a Loooooooong time. I know I'm missing tons of classics, but you get the point. Do not, EVER judge a console by it's graphics, period. The n64 has crappy graphics nowadays, and that is a BA console. And don't say the wii has a bad library, because THAT. STATEMENT. IS. FALSE.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
This looks awesome. I will probabaly get this in christmas of 2012. so That's like, 2 yrs off. I just want it to have drastically different graphics. catch up N! OH and ONe of the N people said that they are working on adding more of these controllers than one. according to NVC at least. also, i want actual joysticks:). not sliders.:(

I don't think you have to worry about the graphics, DLC. If the architecture is as Nintendo has claimed, then this thing is 3 times as powerful as the PS3 (which shouldn't be a surprise to begin with, it's 5 year old technology we're talking about here, after all).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom