• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Name for the Nintendo WiiU

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
Hmmmm..... I don't think so. I believe The Nintendo Stream sounds better. It's like how people refer to other Nintendo consoles as "64", "Gamecube", or "Wii". So the Nintendo Stream would be refered to as "Stream". Of course this is all hypothetical.

My point is.... It would be called the Nintendo Stream. But the slang for it would be either Stream or N-Stream.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Also, I don't think using the Wii in the name of the new console is really a bad strategy. If we stop to think about it, the WiiU is barely a brand new console. It uses the same controls, design (even though it's probably just temporary) as the Wii. It seems to be mostly a revamped Wii, really.
Besides that, Nintendo is also obviously planning to keep up with the strategy they had with the Wii (casual gaming): it can be clearly proven by the demos Nintendo brought to the E3: mostly casual games. What I'm saying is that keeping the name would make the casual audience relate no the new console.

It's a brand new console... Keep up with the strategy they had with the Wii?... I don't think so. They said so themselves, they want to attract the hardcore audience. Just look at the 3DS. Nintendo is learning from their mistakes. Demos at E3? No no no no no no... It's a brand new system that was still under development. They weren't going to show off real games. The games already announced say it all. Darksiders II, Batman Arkham City, Ghost Recon Future Soldier, Assassin's Creed III etc.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
I swear this is the best article ever. [Opinion] Why the Wii U is a Great Name and How it Could be Better | IGXPRO

This guy agrees that keeping Wii in the name is a great economic strategy on Nintendo's part, and also agrees that the new console is so much like a Wii that it deserves Wii in the name. Yes, it is a new console, but it was designed and built as an upgraded Wii. Nintendo clearly said, "Let's take our current console and make it better." There is no doubt in my mind that is how it went down. Just look at the thing!

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I swear this is the best article ever. [Opinion] Why the Wii U is a Great Name and How it Could be Better | IGXPRO

This guy agrees that keeping Wii in the name is a great economic strategy on Nintendo's part, and also agrees that the new console is so much like a Wii that it deserves Wii in the name. Yes, it is a new console, but it was designed and built as an upgraded Wii. Nintendo clearly said, "Let's take our current console and make it better." There is no doubt in my mind that is how it went down. Just look at the thing!

Damn! I guess you proved me wrong... HELL NO! Whoever wrote that article, to quote The Great One himself, is a Kung Pow *****! I can careless for that guy's opinion. Even if Nintendo built upon the Wii, doesn't change the fact that they are two completely different consoles with major differences.

IMO (In my opinion) >_<

Wii Tablet......thats all it is... i dont understand how anyone can consider this a new console

omg someone on the internet who isnt ********

Lol. Thank you! But I do believe that when they say "new console" they're just talking about the different interface and capabilities of the WiiU. :)

Then why was the Wii called the "Wii" and not "Gamecube whateves"? All the Wii really was, was a slightly more powerful Gamecube with motion controls... Doesn't change the fact that it's an entirely new console. That's why you can't get its games anywhere else. And please explain how "technically, you need a Wii to use it", because that makes no sense at all. It has completely new features and is much more powerful than a Wii (at least from what we hear). It needs a new name because idiots make the mistake of thinking that's it's just another Wii and not Nintendo's next generation console.

LOL! Followers...

But when I saw the video of the WiiU, it was hooked up to the Wii, and was basically a high-tech wii mote. D: I didn't mean it in a mean way, I was just stating my opinion. >.<

Oh god. It seems I lit a fire, and now it's burning FAST. I'm sorry to those that I've offended, but I was only stating my opinion! From my perspective, it just seemed like an extension to the Wii. ;n; Please don't yell at me for that. I don't really watch trailer videos of game consoles, nor do I keep up on updates such as Nintendo changing the WiiU's name. I thought it would be nice to let you guys know what I thought, but that apparently ignited some sparks. >.<

~LPZeldaGamer

Really people? Can we really not phase out the Wii name. :dry:

If Nintendo wants to appeal to the audience of the Gamecube days, that part of the current system name will simply need to be eliminated. There could be no clearer alternative.

Not doing so is

1. Bad marketing
2. A stigma in the eyes of "hardcore" gamers
3. Indication that Iwata's Nintendo is and never will be Yamauchi's

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
But when I saw the video of the WiiU, it was hooked up to the Wii, and was basically a high-tech wii mote. D: I didn't mean it in a mean way, I was just stating my opinion. >.<

Please post this vid as I can't recall such thing. It's a tablet controller hooked up to a Wii U console. The Wii-mote was featured, but that's about it when it comes to the Wii.

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
Oh god. It seems I lit a fire, and now it's burning FAST. I'm sorry to those that I've offended, but I was only stating my opinion! From my perspective, it just seemed like an extension to the Wii. ;n; Please don't yell at me for that. I don't really watch trailer videos of game consoles, nor do I keep up on updates such as Nintendo changing the WiiU's name. I thought it would be nice to let you guys know what I thought, but that apparently ignited some sparks. >.<

~LPZeldaGamer
Um, what fire? I really don't know.

GanonSlayr

Vermin Supreme 2012!!!
Yes. People will think it's just an add on for the Wii, or a different edition if they don't. Also, the Wii is basically branded as a kid or family console, so they may want to rename it to attract an older audience. How about Nintendo Torrent? or the Nintendo Flood?

Lord Death

Bichon Frise

~LPZeldaGamer

You don't have to apologize for stating your opinion. You just have to learn to take the heavy fire and stay true to you ideals. And for the record, I agree with you. :P

I think they should completely leave Wii out of the name and just start fresh from the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom