• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Link, New Game;Old Link, Old Game?

lilwilly

Swordless Link
Will nintendo make a new Link for the new Zelda for WiiU or an old Link for 3DS. Or vise versa! Tell me below!
:)

I'm confused what you mean by "new" and "old" Links. Are you referring to reusing a Link seen in a previous Zelda game such as the one in say Twilight Princess for a prequel or sequel?

Personally, it'd be nice to have two new Links with which to stomp into the next generation of Zelda. :)

I'm pretty sure both games are going to have new Links. There are no plot arcs left open in the Zelda series, or Zelda games needing sequels or spiritual successors. With Skyward Sword, a prequel gaming wrapping up a lot of origin stories, and the timeline coming out to wrap up all loose ends with existing Zelda canon, and also with two brand new consoles... I'm pretty sure that whatever we get on both consoles is going to be completely new.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
I'm pretty sure both games are going to have new Links. There are no plot arcs left open in the Zelda series, or Zelda games needing sequels or spiritual successors. With Skyward Sword, a prequel gaming wrapping up a lot of origin stories, and the timeline coming out to wrap up all loose ends with existing Zelda canon, and also with two brand new consoles... I'm pretty sure that whatever we get on both consoles is going to be completely new.

I totally agree with you Axle, but I also think it'd be pretty cool to bring an "old" Link back in a 3D game keeping the same style as he was developed in. For example, ALTtP Link looks more "Cartoony" as you would see in an Archie comic, as the Skyward Sword Link looks more Anime-ish. I really hope Miyamoto remakes ALTtP one day. At the same time, it would be hard to bring back that Link (Due to the new timeline, that dude's been through 4 different quests, unless he becomes some kind of legendary hero) or even the "original" Link from the NES games bc frankly those were the "last conflicts" in the timeline. The Hero of Time could come back, but another game about time? I dont think that would happen. They could bring back the Minish Cap Link, but thats "Toon Link" and the design has had like 4 games themselves so...

Wow, I think I just defeated my own opinion. XD

Wow, I think I just defeated my own opinion. XD
Yeah kind of. :P

I don't see any reason to bring any of the existing Links back outside of "how cool would this be???" which, to me, is a really bad reason to make a game. It's fine for fanfiction, but I think people mix up cool fan ideas and good design ideas too often. Just because it sounds cool doesn't mean it would work or be good in the actual games in the series, and I'm pretty sure even the people who'd want it would actually be pretty upset with the end result.

Besides, bringing back an old Link would do nothing that having a new Link wouldn't do; all the Links are pretty much the same. They have small differences but you're still essentially dealing with the same character in all games.

I'm confused on if you mean bringing back a previous Link 3D model or bringing back similar characteristics of pervious games? If the former is true than I don't see the point in debating this because cosmetic features of characters really don't define a game for me lol. If the latter is true than I have no doubt we'll continue to see the same Zelda formula like we have with previous games. I'm all for innovation in a series, but if you change a game too much than it may stray to far away to be considered part of a series.

Or perhaps you ment something completley different and what I said has nothing to do with the OP lol ^^.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom