• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Legend of Zelda

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I searched through the forums here and I didn't see anything that resembled this thread, but if I missed anything, may the mods feel free to lock this thread.

Retro gaming has become quite popular recently. With games like New Super Mario Bros, Sonic the Hedgehog 4, and Megaman 9 & 10, among other titles, new age retro gaming (props to you if you get the reference:P) has become quite popular.

This has left me wondering, will Zelda ever get the new age retro gaming treatment, and if so how will it be done? Does anybody even want it? How would they like it to be done? Will it be simply in a retro feel like Sonic the Hedgehog 4 or New Super Mario Bros, or will it be done in the same vein as Megaman 9 & 10 which completely return to the classic series?

Personally, I hope for a complete return to the classic series with 8bit graphics and sound and the same sort of gameplay that made the original game great. Oh, and minimal story would be great for the game. And having it as a canon title would be cool too.

What about you?

I kind of want a minish cap styled game with a FSA-like theme/story. Especialy since how 2D games work on the 3DS. I have not experiencedit myself, but I think at E3, they put LA on the 3DS and it was soposed to be really good. Not sure if that is true. It worked with SMB, why not with something like MC-style? Especialy since how Aonuma reacted towards the FS question IGN asked him.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Well, PS3 had that game "3D Bit Heroes" which resembled the original Zelda game quite abit.
As for an actual like-for-like remake of the original... I think that it's prefectly possible, but I also feel that it would only be released as far as the DS.

I mean, I haven't seen the Megaman games that you've talked about, but I just can't see how Nintendo could remake a Zelda game from the same birdseye view as the original Legend of Zelda and still make profit from it other than from hardcore Zelda fans. I mean the new Super Mario Bros. worked because it isn't an adventure game, it's more of an arcade game rather LoZ which had a set story.I think that if they wanted to take a remake seriously, it would have to be remade in relation with the story, map and features. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing at all wrong with retro games, but I just fail to see how they would sell the remake of the first LoZ when everybody already knows everything that would happen in the game.

(I may contradict myself here with Nintendo releasing the remake of OoT on DS, but I mean OoT has alot more to it than LoZ.)

I can already tell that this probably wasn't one of my better posts.

Diablo

King of Redeads
I would love to see the classics remade. It would really good to see the original Loz remade with some new 3d elements.

I would love a new Zelda game that has a retro feel. The retro games were harder and gave a real sense of accomplishment when you beat them, without an in-game story. I'm not sure if I would like an 8-bit return though. I would prefer graphics like Minish Cap with this kind of retro feel.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I would love to see the classics remade. It would really good to see the original Loz remade with some new 3d elements.

I think that if they wanted to take a remake seriously, it would have to be remade in relation with the story, map and features.

I think a misunderstanding has been made. You see, yann, you make a good point with a remake, and that's fine and dandy, but what I'm talking about is a brand new Zelda game, but in a retro style similar to the early days of Zelda. Check out some gameplay footage of Megaman 9 (sorry I had to use a let's play video, I was lazy, also, be warned that there's a bit of language in it) and you'll see what I'm talking about when I say "Like Megaman 9 & 10".

Last edited:
Cool topic Master Kokiri !! However I do not see this happening because Mega man 9-10 came because there hasn't been a Mega man game in like 10 years, same thing with sonic ( 2D sidescrolling sonic to continue the original series like sonic 1,2,3,K,4) and New super mario bros WII was because we haven't seen a console 2D platforming mario game since Super Mario World ( not counting SMW2: Yoshi's island because It's a totally different game ). You see my point? I would love this to be like the original zelda but I don't see it happening. Awesome Topic though!! 5 stars

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
I might be the only one, but no, I wouldn't really want it. Zelda is one of the only series IMO that is better in 3D than 2D. Mario games were incredible in both 2D and 3D. Sonic was really only good in 2D. I'm really not a fan of 2D Zelda but I know that a lot of people are. I think it would be popular, but for me, I probably wouldn't buy it.

Linebeck1000

Legendary Captain
Yes, I've been wanting something like this forever. FSA tried to do it but it wasn't fleshed out enough. I think FSA was going in the right direction though. I want a game with aLttP graphics, and the same "feel" of aLttP, but with a few updated character models like in FSA. Zelda has really been neglecting it's 2D games lately, which is a shame because I like them a lot better than the 3D ones. I would love it if they actually put effort back into the 2D games again. PH and ST felt like Nintendo wasn't even trying. They place too much emphasis on the 3D games these days.

EDIT:
... would be somthing to keep us ocupied untill the next real zelda title arrived!
See, I don't like when people think like this. The 2D games are just as good as the 3D games, if not better (or at least they used to be). They should be looked at as equal to the 3D games, not just something to keep people occupied until a 3D one comes out. An added dimension does not necessarily make it better or more important. Just thought I'd say that.

Last edited:
I do think there needs to be somthing like this! even if it was just on the virtual console or somthing. id like to see somthing like Lttp with minish caps graphics. i.e somthing thats difficuilt and takes a whiile to complete like Lttp with the beautiful style of MC that would be cool and would be somthing to keep us ocupied untill the next real zelda title arrived!

Yeah, I think it would be a great idea. I would especially love a ALttP-type game with better graphics, on the Wii. Sort of like Four Swords Adventures, but with one Link and a regular dungeon and overworld format.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
I think that Link's Awakening mastered the 2D Zelda field. MC tried to improve upon it, but I just don't think the difficulty is there. Obviously, the graphics and scrolling map are an improvement, but I think LA nailed with their dungeon/over-world system and actually had a significant amount of difficulty. If there were a new 2d title I would be worried about it being an easy play. MC was good and a hell of a lot of fun, just not challenging enough to match the fun I had playing LA. I think I'm just afraid that a new retro 2d game would just be repeating the same stuff with a new story.

But now I'm reconsidering. I do like New Super Mario Bros Wii more than any other mario platformer... maybe it could work with Zelda, i just can't say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom