• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Hero?

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
Lately, I have been wondering more about Link himself lately. He is in every Zelda game and is always the main hero. What would happen if he was replaced? I wondered about if Nintendo, for the final game in the series, they replaced Link. A new hero arose, to save Hyrule. Link would not be dead, just olden. He could guide the new hero, and help save Hyrule for a final time. Even the greatest hero's dont live forever. Only their legacys do. So tell me what do you guys think about a new hero? (And I do mean a new hero. Please do not include characters like Tingle. I really want to know you're actual opinion.):)

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Given that Link is and has always been the protagonist of the game with his own legend and specific characteristics set in canon, ie green hero's clothes and courage beyond compare etc, and that he is the iconic character of the series, I highly doubt Nintendo would ever replace him with a different hero in a mainstream LoZ game.

Also, Link isn't so much an individual character so much as he is the spirit and legend of the hero of Hyrule. Most of the games have new incarnations of him, with only a few direct sequels having the same incarnation as a different game. Most of the games do have a "new" hero in the sense that it is a new incarnation of the hero "Link", and that is how the legends and lore of the series works. I'm not trying to be close-minded or anything here, I just can't imagine a hero that isn't the embodiment of "Link" rising up to save Hyrule. It just wouldn't feel like LoZ, and I don't think Nintendo would ever take that risk.

And even in terms of pure plot and story, to have the saga of Hyrule's lore and legends be filled with tales of the heroic Link, and then end it with some new unrelated hero out of the blue...I don't think that makes much sense.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Only character other than Link I wouldn't really mind being I guess would be Jim. That's really about it xD

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I don't think Link will ever be replaced. I don't think the fans will accept him to be replaced. Link is the face of the Zelda Franchise. But back to the question it is an interesting ideas itself. Maybe Colin would be a new Hero. Link could guide him when Colin grows up. Colin always looked up at Link as a brother.
But this is never going to happen. Link will always remain the hero

zelda is not the kind of series to have many heroes (well, in someway, link is "many heroes")

but It would be nice if it were some kind of spin off (other that tingles)

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I agree with Xin in that it isn't really the same hero, but the same general idea of Link being the hero. Moving beyond that, I highly doubt that Nintendo would even think of considering another protagonist for the game because, as said before, fans would have a fit. Even if there are fans who would be willing to try it out, the number of fans who would be angry would be to great a risk. Now, with a title of "Legend of Zelda" that automatically means that I'm gonna play it, but i would be highly upset to not see Link. Those Legend of Zelda "traditions" that Nintendo incorporates in their Zelda games are put in because otherwise the feedback would be ferocious and Link being the protagonist is the biggest one. Really, I can get used to practically any new idea put into Zelda games, even a futuristic environment, as long as there is a guy in a tunic wielding sword as the protagonist and his name is Link.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I dont think this idea will work especially since their are multiple Links already that are each in their own devowed with the power of the triforce as needed. As others have said their isnt only one Link but just the general idea of a hero that seems to all be named similarly.

dadude1200

hero of...uh... somthing.
coughspinoffahem! only in a spin-off im afraid. besides the links in the games arent all the same dont you know?

Well i have only one thing to say about this. No! link would just have kids and continue his family tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom