• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New anti aging clinical trial

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

There is an exciting new clinical trial launched in Columbia involving gene therapy to lengthen telomeres which are present on the end of each chromosome and prevent the deterioration of the DNA. Deterioration leads to aging and degenerative diseases such as cancer.

The trial has launched out of the reach of the American FDA which may not have approved this. Lengthening telomeres has been shown to reverse signs of aging in mice and individual human cells but never tried in humans until now.

The cost to enter the trial is $1,000,000 and it will be done on those aged 45 and over. With one group simply being aged individuals and another group with Alzheimer's disease and another group with critical limb ischemia.

Anti aging science is something I pay close attention to and hope to see aging eradicated so I shall be looking forward to seeing the results of this study and if telomerase therapy is likely going to be an option in the future.

Either it works or this is how a zombie apocalypse gets started.

Anti aging is interesting because where does it stop?

Does it stop when we halt aging and eradicate related diseases, or does it continue into trying to reverse the aging process?

Scary stuff.

I wonder when results of the experiment will be made public and how long it takes.

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Either it works or this is how a zombie apocalypse gets started.

Anti aging is interesting because where does it stop?

Does it stop when we halt aging and eradicate related diseases, or does it continue into trying to reverse the aging process?

Scary stuff.

I wonder when results of the experiment will be made public and how long it takes.

I'd imagine it stops when a person can reverse their biological age to when they were in their prime with few genetic mistakes. Around 25 years old rather than wanting to become a baby again.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
So basically you wanna have more babies and over populate the world cuz yall dont wanna die??

Yes Dizzi this is actually a concern. But if there's a rule that only people who had undergone Vasectomy are eligible for this procedure, then there might be a control.
this is how a zombie apocalypse gets started.
ROFLMFAO. you got me laughing spirit XD

There's a few red flags being thrown up by this article as well.
Yes it is true that the body can think vectors (the disarmed virus used to carry the recombinantrotien) as a threat and develop an exaggerated immune response. But other than that don't you think this is worth a shot?

This could provide a country as much as human resource it needs and might be a milestone for tremendous development

Around 25 years old rather than wanting to become a baby again.
But I wanna become a 5 year old bubba :senpaipls::senpaipls:

This could perhaps increase man's efficiency to several folds and who knows perhaps one day due to the abundance of human resources we might be find a planet-b and transfer half the population there and live happily thereafter.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
So basically you wanna have more babies and over populate the world cuz yall dont wanna die??
There will be no need to have any more babies after a cure for aging becomes reality.

But I wanna become a 5 year old bubba :senpaipls::senpaipls:

This could perhaps increase man's efficiency to several folds and who knows perhaps one day due to the abundance of human resources we might be find a planet-b and transfer half the population there and live happily thereafter.
You should use youth milk then.

I think it is more likely that we eventually will leave the physical world behind and create a simulation to live in rather than colonise another planet. Even at light speed it would take thousands of years to get to anywhere that is possibly habitable.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
They're charging people to participate in the trial? Don't pharmaceutical companies usually pay people to participate, since they'll be injecting them with an experimental medicine largely untested on human subjects?

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Even at light speed it would take thousands of years to get to anywhere that is possibly habitable.
Not 1000s of years, Proxima_Centauri_b is 4.25 ly away tho the major problem is that star occasionally emitting flares that could kill even UV hardy organisms
They're charging people to participate in the trial? Don't pharmaceutical companies usually pay people to participate
That's what I was thinking too..
Deus what do you think?
But I want to get married, have a family... :kawaii:
option a) get married, live the same number of days an average. human can live
option b) don't contribute to population, Live life to the fullest.

I'm pondering over what @Bowsette Plus-Ultra said.
Even recently, a company near me hired people to test their medicine, which was meant to reduce fat content in body. they were paid lakhs and lakhs of Rupees but in the end the result was not good and the people too suffered from heart plaques due to the fat content injected.

Maybe this drug has already been tested in secrecy and now they're holding this test to check the economic viability of this drug?

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Not 1000s of years, Proxima_Centauri_b is 4.25 ly away tho the major problem is that star occasionally emitting flares that could kill even UV hardy organisms

That's what I was thinking too..
Deus what do you think?

option a) get married, live the same number of days an average. human can live
option b) don't contribute to population, Live life to the fullest.

I'm pondering over what @Bowsette Plus-Ultra said.
Even recently, a company near me hired people to test their medicine, which was meant to reduce fat content in body. they were paid lakhs and lakhs of Rupees but in the end the result was not good and the people too suffered from heart plaques due to the fat content injected.

Maybe this drug has already been tested in secrecy and now they're holding this test to check the economic viability of this drug?

I said thousands of years to somewhere remotely habitable. As you have pointed out going to our closest star would probably kill us and it looks like there are no planets around it able to support life.

And yes people do usually get paid for these trials. I knew someone who was paid to have his toes amputated and reattached. Still I expect this company wants to make a lot of money and now has the opportunity to do so. Not many people actually want to get old so I am sure people will gladly pay.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
This kind of stuff is fascinating. I do think that I'll be long gone before any of those really becomes more of a reality to the masses.

The idea of reverse aging, or a consciousness being transferred is great to think about, but also a scary thought. The ripple effects it could cause are worrisome.

That said... if this just literally means people can live a bit longer and their bodies don't deteriorate as quickly... but will still eventually expire. Great! Hopefully in 30-40 years when I'm in my 60s and 70s, it's something I could take advantage of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom