• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Never really liked anime, but...

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I’ve never really watched anime, besides one time a few years ago when I watched part of SAO and didn’t like it that much. But I just recently watched Death Note, and I have to say, it was awesome. Probably going to give it another chance now. Just wanted to say that if you haven’t watched it yet, you should. Does anybody have any suggestions for some good “beginner” shows or the like?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
While I’m definitely not someone who’s watched a lot of anime, I can make some recommendations that I think you might enjoy based on the shows I’ve enjoyed myself.

My top favorites: Fruits Basket 2019, Kaguya-sama: Love is War, Toradora.

Toradora in particular I’d recommend to anyone as a starter anime. It’s very entertaining, but not over the top or overly dramatic like some anime tend to be. Pretty much the essential romcom anime to watch. English dub is actually almost as good as the subbed version.

Fruits Basket features a bit less romance and has some darker themes while never getting too heavy. Still ongoing, but the reboot is the better option since it’s more accurate to the manga.

Kaguya-sama: Love is War is a romcom anime, but instead of the lead characters having opposing personalities, they react to their feelings for each other in similar ways and plot out elaborate schemes to try to make their feelings known. Good humor overall.

Any of these would be a good place to start, imo. They’re all very easy to get into and have likable characters with good stories.

Something intense: Attack on Titan

Something fun: My Hero Academia

Something with great polish: Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (& Avatar, not technically an anime but fantastic all the same)

Something simple & short: One Punch Man

Something classic: Cowboy Bebop

All of the above have great character's, wonderful soundtracks & astounding animation.

TBH my usual recommendation for people is Death Note so if you enjoy that there's bound to be others out there for you.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Erased and Steins;Gate are two pretty good beginner anime I feel. They're both only one season, so not too long. And they don't feel like the over the top anime style; they're a bit more serious.

Steins;Gate especially seems to be loved by most everyone. Erased is also pretty well acclaimed but maybe less known/popular than Steins;Gate.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Mob Psycho 100, Boku no Hero Academia, Dragon Ball

If you're okay with watching 13+ mature content ie you've watched death note so i guess you're probably ok with it
Tokyo Ghoul, Shingeki no Kyojin, Vinland Saga

Personal recommendations: Sousei no Onmyoji, www.working, 7ds

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom