• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Netflix: Death Note

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

There was a new clip and trailer released for the live action Death Note. They are both on the attached video.

This is one of the releases I am most looking forward to this year. Loved the anime and I trust Netflix to do a good movie.

There are going to be quite a few diferences which isn't going to be a bad thing. The anime was so good that it would be difficult to make just a cut down version lasting two hours so they need to make something that borrows from the source material without trying to carbon copy it.

Looking at the.clip and trailer, the characters personalities appear to be somewhat different from those in the original series. I am sold on Ryuk. Willem Dafoe will be perfect but I have noticed the change in his character who was always rather impartial before and tended to just watch what Light did with bemusement, yet here he appears to be more manipulative, even pushing Light to kill.

Light himself appears more of a typical high school emo rather than the calm genius his anime counterpart is. Instead of suspecting thhat Death Gods exist he appears surprised and fearful of Ryuk when he first meets him calling him an '8ft demon mother****er'. That was pretty funny but I'm not sure I prefer this version of Light. Will have to watch the whole thing to find out.

As for L. He seems cool. I like what I have seen so far and I am glad he still sits in the awkward squatted position as he does in the original.

What do you guys think, you like what you have seen? Will you be watching?

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
That looks amazing! Shame its a movie and not a series. I'll be sure to watch it.

I think those changes in character help to Westernize it a bit, at least the change from diabolical genius to average kid; makes it a bit more realistic and relatable. It probably fits live-action better. I'm sure I'll always prefer the original Ryuk, but I'm always a fan of switching things up, as long as it works.

Reactions: Dio

Stitch

AKA Patrick
The only thing I trust about this movie is that Willem Dafoe will give a wonderful performance and Adam Wingard will give it a decent horror atmosphere. They seem to be making a lot of unnecessary changes for the sake of "Westernization" and the last time a studio did that we got Dragonball Evolution.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
DFOq9G0UQAAKq5h

The original manga artist has done a poster for the new film and has given his approval.

That looks amazing! Shame its a movie and not a series. I'll be sure to watch it.

I think those changes in character help to Westernize it a bit, at least the change from diabolical genius to average kid; makes it a bit more realistic and relatable. It probably fits live-action better. I'm sure I'll always prefer the original Ryuk, but I'm always a fan of switching things up, as long as it works.

I agree a series would be better to develop characters and would prolong the enjoyment as there would be more of it than can be fit into one film.

I am thinking that whilst this Light might not be as diabolical he is still going to have to be incredibly smart to be able to go toe to toe with L unless Ryuk turns out to be the brains this time.

The only thing I trust about this movie is that Willem Dafoe will give a wonderful performance and Adam Wingard will give it a decent horror atmosphere. They seem to be making a lot of unnecessary changes for the sake of "Westernization" and the last time a studio did that we got Dragonball Evolution.

One of the best films of all time. I have nine copies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom