• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past Needs to Be Retconned

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Playing A Link Between Worlds, I realized the sages are each descendants of the sages from Ocarina of Time. Since Ocarina of Time didn't exist when A Link to the Past came out, the concept of each of the maidens weren't really explored. In fact I think they all had the same sprite with the exception of Zelda. Gully, Zora Queen and Osalfa, each appear to be descendants of the Kokiri, Zoras, and Rauru respectively.

Don't you guys think A Link to the Past should be remade to live up to the current storyline? Mainly meaning that the maidens should each resemble their Ocarina of Time ancestry.

Nah. The simple maiden sprites are part of ALttP's identity. Plus, I hardly felt any connection to most of the sages in A Link Between Worlds because their personalities were hardly developed. This would be the same case in A Link to the Past; the sages are just there to be rescued. The sages were effective in Ocarina of Time because with the exception of Rauru and Nabooru, they were all denizens of Hyrule you had previously met and interacted with as a child.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
...I think it'd be easier if you just removed aLttP from the timeline and pretended ALBW came after OoT or something. I haven't played aLttP in AGES...but I recall all the maidens being human. Now...there's a certain sage in ALBW that I'm scratching my chin about...funnily enough you have to question how a Zora, Goron, and Kokori gave birth to human maidens in the first place from OoT.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Makes sense. A Link Between Worlds failed on the whole character development thing. I was expecting more of Yuga (haven't beaten the game yet) but from what I can tell, it seems I won't see or hear anymore of Yuga until I get to Lorule Castle. Also, it would have been nice for the sages to have character development. I don't like that the game feels fast..because I'm enjoying it too much. I still haven't tackled the Lorule dungeons because I'm exploring, but it seems in Hyrule there aren't many sidequests.

Salem

SICK
...I think it'd be easier if you just removed aLttP from the timeline and pretended ALBW came after OoT or something. I haven't played aLttP in AGES...but I recall all the maidens being human. Now...there's a certain sage in ALBW that I'm scratching my chin about...funnily enough you have to question how a Zora, Goron, and Kokori gave birth to human maidens in the first place from OoT.
Or remove OoT, Alttp's backstory can remain a backstory, even WW's story can actually do just fine without OoT.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
I think we should collectively to forget about the timeline now that Nintendo has essentially made one third of it into a total cop-out. Just move on and let it be.

Lets say that OoT had no connection to the plotline. How then are we to explain that a "Kokiri", and a Zora, are descendants of the "Wise Men" or the maidens from ALttP?

DarkestLink

Or remove OoT, Alttp's backstory can remain a backstory, even WW's story can actually do just fine without OoT.

aLttP doesn't fit on the timeline...OoT does. aLttP just makes things more confusing. How does a human give birth to a--y'know. Avoiding spoilers.

Salem

SICK
aLttP doesn't fit on the timeline...OoT does. aLttP just makes things more confusing. How does a human give birth to a--y'know. Avoiding spoilers.
Don't you remember Ruto's marriage proposal to Link in Oot? Maybe it's actually possible....

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Maybe they are spiritual successors. Or reincarnations. Or even after several generations of crossbreeding they ended up human-like

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Take out A Link to the Past and you have problems, plus it's plot is mentioned in A Link Between Worlds so it wouldn't make any sense to remove it.

I think a lot of people are confused about the difference between the "Maidens" and the "Sages". The Seven Maidens are descendents of the original Sages from the time of fhe Imprisoned War - which took place before A Link to the Past. Now they are descendents, not Sages. I think the Maidens mention that they aren't as strong as the original Sages themselves, which indicates that maybe they don't carry the title of their predecessors.

Now in A Link Between Worlds you have the actual Sages and they don't necessarily have to be directly related to the Sages of past. I wouldn't think so anyway. I do have a slight problem with the Seven Sages within ALBW though, how Princess Zelda wasn't actually a Sage--or if she was--she'd be the eighth which complicates things further.

DarkestLink

I'm pretty sure they said they were descendants of the original sages in ALBW...

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'm pretty sure they said they were descendants of the original sages in ALBW...

They are said to be the descendents of the original Sages who sealed the Sacred Realm long ago... That was a reference to the Imprisoning War when the Sages sealed Ganon within the Sacred Realm thus turning it into the Dark World.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom