• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tech Help Need Help Replacing Processor in Desktop!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Hello everyone and welcome to the show, please turn off all cell phones and pagers.

Thank you, here are my stats:

Motherboard: eMachines EL1352G
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 220 @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1607.3 MHz NB Frequency

I want to replace my CPU. I don't know how to replace my CPU and I don't know what I should replace it with. i want a CPU that will allow me to play on PCSX2 and Dolphin at full speed. I know the athlon ii is outdated at best. what should I replace it with? My budget is $100USD

Clank

Hmm
Alright, first things first, no computer that is purchasable by a consumer today can run all Pcsx2 and Dolphin games full speed, and quite frankly many games require an over-clocked, high-end i5 or i7 CPU to run correctly, so even if you upgrade this it isn't likely to run many games at full speed.

It appears you have an OEM computer that you want to upgrade, this causes a few issues, first off processor support in OEM motherboards is really poor and they generally only support a few processors, secondly OEM cases tend to have inferior cooling so overheating becomes an issue, lastly you (usually)cannot over-clock the CPU with an OEM motherboard which removes a lot of the benefit of a new CPU.

Personally I would just save my money and play around with the speed-hacks in Pcsx2, on my desktop(older than yours), I can get nearly full speed in a lot of PS2 games as long as I play with the speed-hacks carefully, I have had no such luck with Dolphin(aside for a few games like Brawl).

Clank

Hmm
Objection! There IS a PC that a consumer can buy that'll run any Dolphin or PCSX2 game.

164341.jpg

Utilizing an overclocked Core i7-4960X Extreme Edition Processor, a GTX 690, and 16 GB of RAM, this ASUS ROG gaming PC is over 5 times more powerful than the PS4.

You do realize that Dolphin is only a dual core application and Pcsx2 is only triple core, right?

Not to mention there are several games that require interpreter mode which is slower than slow, even on high-end hardware...

So yeah, skip the $1000 processor, get a ~$250 and as far as emulation goes you should be just as well off...

Edit: Did I forget to mention that each emulator only has ~80% compatibility, so there's 20% of games that won't run automatically.

Clank

Hmm
Higher end CPUs have higher instructions-per-cycle ratings. Even on single-threaded apps, an i7 clocked at 3 GHz will still beat an i3 clocked at 3 GHz.

The IPCs vary with the CPU generation not the CPU model, a Haswell i3(in single core performance) clock for clock should match a Haswell i7.

Not to mention an i5 should be able to be overclocked higher than an i7 since you don't have to deal with the extra heat generated by the hyperthreading, thus the i5 would be superior to the i7 when it comes to single core apps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom