• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Need Help Buying a Wii!

I need a little help deciding on what exactly I'm looking for. I want a Wii system basically just to play Zelda, I really don't care about much else for it. The problem is, I've never played the Wii or knew anyone that's ever had it or anything! I found a console on Ebay for about $120 which I think is reasonable, and it comes with cords and plugins and everything. Now I've heard that you can download older Zelda games and play them on this one console, is that entirely true? I'm really only interested in playing the console Zelda games atm, so OoT, MM, WW, and TP. I'm willing to wait to worry about the handheld games for now. So can someone help explain to me how exactly this works? Would I be able to get these older games for the Wii and play on them? What do I need besides the console to play them, and how much would it all cost?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I think Wiis are 100$ now. (Not sure.) It might be better to get one from the stores so there will not be any problems that the prevouse user had. You can play every game before MM on Virtual Console, but you have to buy online points from nintendo, and use them on the Wii using an option called Wii Shop Channel. There, you can buy almost any game to download on the Wii. You can not download TWW though. (Not sure if there are even any GC games on VC.) So you will haveto buy a copy of TWW and play it on the Wii or GC to have that. I am not sure how much any VC games cost, the only thing on the Wii Shop Cannel I bought were the free channels and the Metriod preview..... (I do not know why, I do not even like Metriod.....)

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
Virtual Console games cost anywhere between 500 ($5) and either 1500 or 2000 ($15-$20) wii points. You can buy point cards just about anywhere, or you can buy them from the shop using a credit card.
You'll have to buy WW separately since the Wii can play GC games...It's usually around $20.

TP's still a bit pricey, even though it's been out for a while. It should be around $30-$40 if you buy it new.

You're saying I can buy a Wii for $100 now? I thought stores would be charging at least 200-300! That's a great tip, thanks! And also, you mean you can put a Gamecube disk straight into the Wii console and play it? I had no idea about that feature either. This console seems way more convenient than I thought. Thanks a bunch for the help guys, I'm thinking about looking for one right now! I could pick one up at a Wallmart or Target type place right? I don't have any of those nice video game stores near my house :/

Austin

Austin
I bought mine recently for $200 at Best Buy, and that was the package that came with WiiMotion Plus. That's going to be important if you're a Zelda fan as it will be required to play Skyward Sword, although some believe that the game will be sold with it. I haven't heard of any type of package being sold at a retailer for less than that (even if it's just the console alone), but it's possible that I'm a bit out of the loop. Personally, I'd recommend trying to find the $200 package with WiiMotion Plus so you can save some money later on.

What's Wii Motion Plus? I've heard the name come up pretty much every time I read about SS, but I thought it just came with Wii. So it's a different accessory altogether? What does it do? Well, if it's required to play SS, I wouldn't mind shelling out $200 for the console and that item, considering I was already planning on paying more than that just for the Wii itself.

Austin

Austin
It's about $20, I believe, and from what I understand it improves the motion control capabilities of the Wiimote. It's not too expensive, but if you can get it and the console for the same price of the console alone, it's a bit of a no-brainer. That being said, I'm still not certain how much the console alone costs.

Beeker

Wild Card
Where I am, Wii motionPlus is $25(it's canadian) so maybe around $20. I highly suggest getting the bundle with WMP, Sports Resort, etc. It's only 10-15 dollars more than the normal bundle, and you get quite a few things with it.

TP is quite expensive where I live too. It's been out for almost 4 years and it's still $60. I'm trying to find the Wind Waker, so I don't know how much it is. And the console games up to MM are on there the NES ones(LoZ, AoL) are 500,SNESgames(ALttP) are 800, and N64(Oot, MM) are 1000 points. Make sure you have an internet connection on your Wii when you get it, otherwise you won't be able to download them.

And KickinBird, Wii Motionplus is an add-on to the remote that increases the motion control. Before it came out,the remote could only read certain directions when you wabe it, for example. The WMP follows your movements in-game. This is how sword control works in SS.(1:1 control)

Hope this helps :)

The Wii Motion Pluss is something you put in the Wiimote in place of the Nunchuck to make it better detect motions. For example, in ZSS, with WM+, you need to hit an enemy in a certain angle, something that the prevouse defualt motion controls could not do. (You can still use a Nunchuck with the WM+.) Oh yea, TP for the Wii is required to have a Nunchuck, ZSS will probably need one too, so you better get that.....
View attachment 5561
On the right, you see a Wiimote on top, and a WM+ on bottem. You plug it in and it helps better detect movement. On the left, is the same thing but connected. Note that you do not need the Wiimote Jacket.
View attachment 5562
This image is a Wiimote without the WM+ using a Nunchuck. A Nunchuck also detects movement and serves as what you hold in your left hand (right for lefties). This was required to play TP on the Wii and will probably be required for ZSS.
http://blogs.ft.com/techblog/files/2010/03/wii-motion-plus.jpg

At Target you can get a Wii bundle that has the Wii, WM+, Wii Sports Resort and a controller for $200. Then, you need a nunchuck to play TP which is $20. Then, you should buy Wind Waker used and get a Gamecube controller which you can use to play Ocarina and Majora, which are 1000 Wii Points a piece, so buy a 2000 Wii Points card. TP usually sells at the normal $50 US or sometimes a little less. You can get all of this at Target except for Wind Waker and the GC controller. Hope I was a help and didn't confuse you further:lol:

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
A Wii bundle goes for $199.99 + tax. It comes with Wii Motion Plus, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, 1 Nunchuk and 1 Wiimote, the console, and the wires (standard AV. If you want a component cable it's $20 extra bucks). This bundle is the same price everywhere because Nintendo sets the price, not the retailers. So pick it up wherever you want.

Yes, you can download older Zelda games on the Wii's Virtual Console, but you need have your console connected to the internet. If you don't have Wifi, you'll need a LAN adapter. LAN adapters cost around $20, so let's hope you have Wifi. In order to download the older Zelda games, you'll need Nintendo Points which you can either buy with a credit card or in stores. No tax applied to them in stores, I don't know about online. $20 gets you 2,000 points, the prices of the Zelda games on the Virtual Console varies.

Also consider buying a warranty through whatever retailer you buy it from. I work at GameStop, and our 1-year warrantly costs $19.99. Even if you don't buy one with a retailer, you are covered by Nintendo for 90 days (they don't do the whole year anymore). However, if you only take their coverage, you will have to ship out your Wii and wait for it to come back if it breaks... but Nintendo consoles hardly ever break, so it's entirely up to you. Personally, I always get a warranty on anything expensive.

You can also try picking up the Zelda collector's disc that has OoT, MM, The Legend of Zelda, and The Adventure of Link... in the long run, it'll probably be cheaper than buying each game individually. I recommend buying games like TWW or TP used somewhere, because they're still pretty costly if you buy them brand new.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
If you plan to buy Wind Waker, consider that you won't just be able to buy just the game itself. You also need a gamecube controller and a gamecube memory card. By the time I bought mine I think it added up around this amount (US dollars):

- Wind Waker ($20 used at Gamestop)
- Controller (~$15)
- Memory card ($15 from Amazon.com, though half of it was shipping)

It was still a worthwhile buy for me because you can get lots of used Gamecube games. I got Animal Crossing for $10, for example...a couple Marios for $10 - 15...Soul Calibur II and Harry Potter for less than $10 apiece...but if you're just getting it solely for WW, by the time you get all the accessories it's the same as if you'd bought TP new, basically.

The memory card comes in different increments, from 51 - 1000+ blocks. WW takes 12 blocks, Animal Crossing takes something like 58...so it depends on which games you want to play. I think my card is 255 because the games I wanted didn't really need a lot of memory. Shipping was about the same as the cost of the item wherever I looked - it probably has to be packaged carefully (or I didn't look hard enough). The Gamestop worker I talked to said that they do sometimes get memory cards in, but because they're used, it just depends on how often they're traded in, and I didn't want to wait.

Gamecube games aren't on the VC because I think they'd take up too much of the Wii's storage space. The VC has LoZ, AoL, AlttP, OoT, and MM. Like Zeruda says, you could also look for the Gamecube collector's edition with the games she mentioned. I've seen it run for about $30. There's also an OoT Gamecube edition that has it and the Master Quest. It goes about for the same price (maybe cheaper, that's just what I've seen.)

In order to download the older Zelda games, you'll need Nintendo Points which you can either buy with a credit card or in stores. No tax applied to them in stores, I don't know about online. $20 gets you 2,000 points, the prices of the Zelda games on the Virtual Console varies.

I need to start buying from stores! They charge tax in my state online.

ETA: It may depend on the place, but they definitely charge tax on my Wii Points here (2000 points ends up closer to $22), so you may want to look it up where you live. Probably it pertains to if you pay tax when you buy online in general.

I forgot to add - I know it's not what you asked, but something I've learned is to unplug it during a storm! Probably seems obvious because it's an electronic device, but still. It's not pretty when the power goes out over night and you try to turn on your Wii the next day and it just blinks at you instead of turning green. You can reset it, but why risk the heart attack? (A decent surge protector is also recommended for that reason.)

Last edited:
You will need to connect that Wii to your internet settings; WEP and WPA security settings are compatible with the Wii and for any games that have Wi-Fi.

For the Wii Shop channel, you need Wii Points. You can use a Wii Points Card to redeem points, which have 2000 points each, or use a debit/credit card to get points in increments of 1000. $10 for 1000, $20 for 2000 and so on.

Here are the prices for the older Zelda games:
LoZ: 500 points ($5)
AoL: 500 points
ALttP: 800 points ($8)
OoT: 1000 points ($10)
MM: 1000 points

To play LoZ and AoL, all you need is the Wii Remote. You hold it sideways.
To play ALttP, OoT, and MM, you will either need a Gamecube controller, or a Wii Classic Controller ($20)
To play WW on the Wii, all you need is a Gamecube controller and a memory card for the Gamecube.

Zeruda said:
No tax applied to them in stores, I don't know about online. $20 gets you 2,000 points, the prices of the Zelda games on the Virtual Console varies.
No tax is applied when you buy with a credit card on the Wii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom