• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Navi Vs Tatl

Navi or Tatl

• Total voters

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Yeah it is really weird most people just forget about Ciela, when really out of the Fairies she is by far the best, with a constant role in the story that she continuously develops throughout, some actual really good impacts on gameplay, and plays off of other characters really well
Curse of ds games
Well, that's not even true because people love st zelda
Wonder why celia is so forgotten then

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Yeah it is really weird most people just forget about Ciela, when really out of the Fairies she is by far the best, with a constant role in the story that she continuously develops throughout, some actual really good impacts on gameplay, and plays off of other characters really well

A consequence of being in Phantom Hourglass, I'd say. While I rate PH as being technically okay-ish, it's incredibly unremarkable and isn't helped by its terrible control scheme. I suspect a lot of people have forgotten they even played it.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I think chevy mostly hits the nail on the head (I say mostly because bringing up midna is lol)

Navi isn't really a character who is meant to grow and change whereas Tatl is
when talking about companions I think it's important to keep in mind that distinction. In cases like Fi, it's more ambiguous as to whether or not this character actually has progression or not
but Navi is clearly not meant to progress ... at all, really. She's more like a repository than a companion to talk to link. Tatl fulfills the latter much more effectively. Also some people like tsunderes
let's talk about Celia
why does nobody talk about Celia ;_;
*Agees with me*

*Uses my points to disagree*

That's really funny tho, we have the same point of view but get different opinions. You hit the nail on the head with saying Tatl is meant to grow, because she don't.

Mikey the Moblin

*Agees with me*

*Uses my points to disagree*

That's really funny tho, we have the same point of view but get different opinions. You hit the nail on the head with saying Tatl is meant to grow, because she don't.
I meant it in that navi has (or should have) no expectations while tatl fails to measure up to expectations for some players

Mikey the Moblin

I suppose you think Tatl has a good growth arc?
mmm it's hard to say. I think tatl comes across as a very genuine character, whether you like her or not
it's just a lot harder to dislike navi (and ime a lot of the hate is from younger people who haven't played much oot who think navi does nothing but spam hey listen nonstop) than it is to dislike tatl who intentionally has an abrasive personality
it's like how old animal crossing games had super rude villagers and some people liked that but some people genuinely cried from playing the GCN animal crossing

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
While Tatl has an abrasive personality, at least she has a personality. You tend to forget in OoT that Navi is actually a character and not just a dictionary. Apparently she means enough to Link that he has to go looking for her, but that just leads him to the MM mess where he has no problem replacing her with the first fairy that flies by. I admit Tatl could have been executed better, hith more turmoil about saving her brother Tael, but she is still a character despite that. She has a hilarious sass, that gets toned down as she begins to trust Link. Navi is cool and all, but she never really interacts with Link in that way.

I don't like either of them.

While I don't find Navi super annoying like everyone says she is, she is a bit of a nag.

Tatl is a mean hearted little fairy, who is nasty to everyone who has the misfortune to cross her path.

Gameplay wise they're the same.

Gorozoron

wild ride
tatl is the best cuz when I want to do the leave kokiri forest early glitch , Navi is frickin quiet but when I don't try to do it she can't shut up (stupid fairy)
seriously tho I like Tatl more
Navi is bland

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I prefer Tatl over Navi characterization wise, but when it comes to how helpful they are I'd say both of them are pretty equal. I never found Navi annoying, just boring.

I really don't get why Navi gets so much hate in the fandom. It's one of those gross it's-cool-to-hate-this-character-to-death things even though they really aren't that bad, have helped Link greatly in the story, another hated character like that being Tingle. It's pure mechanics that causes Navi to be annoying, not her actual character. I mean, yeah, constantly reminding Link to do important things is part of her character, but is that really such a bad thing? There are far worse, dislikeable characters in the series.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Navi spams a lot in the beginning but later on you can simply ignore her. I never really disliked her. I thought she was cute. Tatl a bit the same. She doesn't spam you but that's it. Navi was send by the Deku Tree to help you while Tatl wasn't fast enough and kinda stuck with you and had to rely on you to help her to get back to her brother. I never care for Tatl that much. I don't like her or dislike her. The only fairy I really like is Ciela. She lost her memory and with every step you take she gets closer to solving the puzzle to her past. She's sassy, friendly and very eager to help you out. Plus her interactions with Lineback are funny. I get why people forget her because PH isn't a game you remember fondly if many played it even at all. But when it comes to the fairies I like Ciela the most of all without a doubt.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Navi spams a lot in the beginning but later on you can simply ignore her. I never really disliked her. I thought she was cute. Tatl a bit the same. She doesn't spam you but that's it. Navi was send by the Deku Tree to help you while Tatl wasn't fast enough and kinda stuck with you and had to rely on you to help her to get back to her brother. I never care for Tatl that much. I don't like her or dislike her. The only fairy I really like is Ciela. She lost her memory and with every step you take she gets closer to solving the puzzle to her past. She's sassy, friendly and very eager to help you out. Plus her interactions with Lineback are funny. I get why people forget her because PH isn't a game you remember fondly if many played it even at all. But when it comes to the fairies I like Ciela the most of all without a doubt.
I just started PH a couple weeks ago, and I gotta say Ciela is prbly my new favorite companion character. She's prbly the only one so far that I haven't wished she had a silent feature for the sake of my sanity. Her advice is also helpful and unobtrusive (take notes, Fi!). But she's basically a personality opposite of Navi/Tatl.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I just started PH a couple weeks ago, and I gotta say Ciela is prbly my new favorite companion character. She's prbly the only one so far that I haven't wished she had a silent feature for the sake of my sanity. Her advice is also helpful and unobtrusive (take notes, Fi!). But she's basically a personality opposite of Navi/Tatl.
I love the fact that she also had a personal quest to figure out her past. With every progress you make she finds a piece of her memory back. I really like her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom