• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Navi Vs Tatl

Navi or Tatl

• Total voters
From the get go, I flat out hated Navi due to the constant "Hey!" "Look!" "Listen!" "Watch out!" "Look!" "Listen!" "Listen!" "Listen!" ...

Tatle, yes did have that annoying side, but, it was nowhere near as bad as Navi, instead of the "I want to tell you something" every 2 seconds, it was the attitude that had me.

As others had mentioned, from the very start of the game, Navi was told to simply follow Link with absolutely no info throughout the entire game about "it". Tatle on the other hand, early on, we're given some insight about her AND her brother. and even later she, imho, calmed down a little.

So, Tatle gets my vote.

Though, Midna is still best.

As others had mentioned, from the very start of the game, Navi was told to simply follow Link with absolutely no info throughout the entire game about "it". Tatle on the other hand, early on, we're given some insight about her AND her brother. and even later she, imho, calmed down a little.

So, Tatle gets my vote.
If Navi wasn't that annoying and had more of a story to her, then I would've been torn between the two.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I never cared for both of them that much. Navi can get annoying yeah but after a while you can simply ignore her. I never cared that much for Tatl either. If I have to choose I'd say Navi but only because I played OoT a huge lot and only played MM once.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Navi never annoyed me and I enjoy her chiming on on what's going on around Link. Tatl was really interesting and had some darn good development over the course of the game, plus her personality was entertaining. I like both of them, but I like Tatl better. She's one of the best companions.

I never got over how Tatl mocked Link after he was turned into a Deku Scrub, and had Epona and the Ocarina of Time stolen from him. She apologizes later, but it leaves a very bad first impression. It shows an unnecessary cruelty to her.
Navi was Link's first companion in the Zelda series and still his most iconic one. She's a bit irritating with the constant reminders but it's mostly game mechanics. She's just reminding Link to focus on what's important.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Tatl wins just by her slight involvement in the plot of Majora's Mask. Both she and Navi are equally annoying and unnecessary, but at least Majora's Mask pretends that Tatl will be even slight important (she's not, but hey).

Navi and Tatl are both important to the plot (Navi tells Link about the Deku Tree's call, Tatl helps Link get to Skull Kid), but Tatl has a background with the villain, so of course she'll be more involved.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
Tatl wins easily for me, since she actually has a personality and has solid character development throughout Majora's Mask, whereas Navi is kinda just robotic and not all that interesting.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Navi. My only gripe with her is that she doesn't really show too much personality until the Ganondorf fight, but that's forgivable because it fits into my main gripe about OoT: it was the first 3D Zelda, so there are inevitably things that won't work in future games. Plus, her voicing isn't that annoying at all. It's cute and charming.

Tatl on the other hand, is just a total jerk and coward ("Hurry! Play the Song of Time!") who doesn't give a rip about Link and is only using him to get her brother back. Comparisons to Midna are hardly fair because Midna actually had a growth arc. She says something about realizing that to save her world, she'd need to save both.

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.
Navi. My only gripe with her is that she doesn't really show too much personality until the Ganondorf fight, but that's forgivable because it fits into my main gripe about OoT: it was the first 3D Zelda, so there are inevitably things that won't work in future games. Plus, her voicing isn't that annoying at all. It's cute and charming.

Tatl on the other hand, is just a total jerk and coward ("Hurry! Play the Song of Time!") who doesn't give a rip about Link and is only using him to get her brother back. Comparisons to Midna are hardly fair because Midna actually had a growth arc. She says something about realizing that to save her world, she'd need to save both.
I agree completely. Navi's voice and self are cute and charming! Yes, Tatl is very annoying.

CreeperMaster343

Spirit Tracks Zelda best companion, LinkxNavi FTW
I enjoy Tatl more as a character, but I do like Navi as well, and part of why I enjoy Tatl is the contrast that she provides in her position in the story, and how she interacts with Link, compared to Navi. So honestly while I did vote Tatl, she wouldn't be as relatively good, without Navi existing in the first place, and all of this is only based upon the game versions.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Tatl wins almost by default. Navi is just an irritating voice with no personality outside of pestering you to go back and do the thing. While Tatl isn't perfect and lacks a meaningful arc, I'll take her over Navi any day of the week.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I think chevy mostly hits the nail on the head (I say mostly because bringing up midna is lol)

Navi isn't really a character who is meant to grow and change whereas Tatl is
when talking about companions I think it's important to keep in mind that distinction. In cases like Fi, it's more ambiguous as to whether or not this character actually has progression or not
but Navi is clearly not meant to progress ... at all, really. She's more like a repository than a companion to talk to link. Tatl fulfills the latter much more effectively. Also some people like tsunderes
let's talk about Celia
why does nobody talk about Celia ;_;

CreeperMaster343

Spirit Tracks Zelda best companion, LinkxNavi FTW
I think chevy mostly hits the nail on the head (I say mostly because bringing up midna is lol)

Navi isn't really a character who is meant to grow and change whereas Tatl is
when talking about companions I think it's important to keep in mind that distinction. In cases like Fi, it's more ambiguous as to whether or not this character actually has progression or not
but Navi is clearly not meant to progress ... at all, really. She's more like a repository than a companion to talk to link. Tatl fulfills the latter much more effectively. Also some people like tsunderes
let's talk about Celia
why does nobody talk about Celia ;_;
Yeah it is really weird most people just forget about Ciela, when really out of the Fairies she is by far the best, with a constant role in the story that she continuously develops throughout, some actual really good impacts on gameplay, and plays off of other characters really well

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom