• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Narrating While Playing Zelda Games...

CelticMagician

Phantom of Time
Well, do you do it?

(As a precaution, I would like to apologize if there is a thread like this already. I went poking around and didn't see one, so...)

Seriously, I'm curious. How many people make their own commentary for the Legend of Zelda games? How do you go about it?

Do you speak for Link? Do you speak to the game as a separate third-person entity? If so, are you usually serious about it, or downright silly?

I know I narrate all the time while playing Zelda games. I tend to be worse with 3D games than the top-downs for it, let alone, my dialogue often gets sillier the more I play a title (Ocarina of Time currently being the worst of the bunch! :lol: ).

I tend to do a mixture of speaking for Link and to the game itself depending on the situation.

So how 'bout it? Does anyone else do the same thing? I'd love to hear your stories.

Share! Discuss! :)

Katelynn

Flirtatously Flirty
There's a lot of "Let's Play"s and Walkthroughs with the player talking through the game. Honestly, I find it annoying, and distracting from the actual game. I can't say i've never done any narrating, 'cause I have, but usually only when a Character is speaking. My siblings get bored and annoyed when I talk about the game and tell them what i'm doing. Sometimes I even sing along with the area's music theme...

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
Personally, when I go to find a 'Let's Play' it's for the story, so I prefer for people to be quite. It's distracting, you can hear the music sometimes and you just generally don't feel like listening to them. However, I also tend to find comedic Let's plays, (Toby Turner!), a topic I search for often. I don't mind a serious commentary when I'm looking at a walkthough, but for Let's plays, I want to be entertained.

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
I only narrate if my Dad asks me what's going on. Other than that, I'm so absorbed in the game I can't think of anything else!

Strangely Yes BUT never on a first play-through. after a couple play-troughs i seem to actually make a ridiculous narrative that completely contradicts the story in every way, (OoT is the worst for this, Actually crash bandicoot 1-3 is even worse than than),

Also if I get stuck even for a short amount of time i tend to either repeat myself or make excuses for myself in the narrative.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
As I plan on creating Let's Plays for Zelda games, I practice while I play. So, yeah, I do narrate. And when I find a quote that could be potentially exploited for hilarity, I find a way to do it. I'll use Final Fantasy XIII as an example, with HCBailly as the perpetrator.

One line in the game, said by Fang, is "Who ordered the battalion?"

Here's how it went.
HCBailly: Who wants Chinese?
(PSICOM attacks)
Fang: Who ordered the battalion?
HCBailly: I ordered Chinese, not Italian!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
At one point I tried to do an LP. It failed for numerous reasons:

• [*]I have an attention deficit – cannot do more than one thing at a time. So, in trying to play a game AND talk, I pause for 10 seconds on end, speak for two, pause for another 10, ad infinitum
    [*]Recording software broke – Hypercam sucks, CamStudio caused black screens and
    [*]Sound card died – I've no idea how or why.
    [*]My voice is terrible – no one likes me

The list could go on if I wanted it to. I don't watch Zelda LPs because, frankly, I don't want to hear people talking. I love Link's voice, not that hardbreathingfornoreason girl across the street :/

I usually talk for Link, and interject some stupid comments in between.

Last edited:

Rytex

Resident Netizen
At one point I tried to do an LP. It failed for numerous reasons:

• [*]I have an attention deficit – cannot do more than one thing at a time. So, in trying to play a game AND talk, I pause for 10 seconds on end, speak for two, pause for another 10, ad infinitum
    [*]Recording software broke – Hypercam sucks, CamStudio caused black screens and
    [*]Sound card died – I've no idea how or why.
    [*]My voice is terrible – no one likes me

The list could go on if I wanted it to. I don't watch Zelda LPs because, frankly, I don't want to hear people talking. I love Link's voice, not that hardbreathingfornoreason girl across the street :/

I usually talk for Link, and interject some stupid comments in between.

Well, too bad Link can talk for himself in SS... In either a series of choices or just the pantomiming he does to other characters.

GoldenGengle64

A v ^ A v ^
Well, do you do it?

(As a precaution, I would like to apologize if there is a thread like this already. I went poking around and didn't see one, so...)

Seriously, I'm curious. How many people make their own commentary for the Legend of Zelda games? How do you go about it?

Do you speak for Link? Do you speak to the game as a separate third-person entity? If so, are you usually serious about it, or downright silly?

I know I narrate all the time while playing Zelda games. I tend to be worse with 3D games than the top-downs for it, let alone, my dialogue often gets sillier the more I play a title (Ocarina of Time currently being the worst of the bunch! :lol: ).

I tend to do a mixture of speaking for Link and to the game itself depending on the situation.

So how 'bout it? Does anyone else do the same thing? I'd love to hear your stories.

Share! Discuss! :)

Occasionally I'll narrate... but it's more in a sarcastic manner. Not insulting the game, just enjoying it :) It's always on the second, third, fourth, etc. playthrough though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom