• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mythical/Extinct Creatures.

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
. Anyway, if there was ever an effort by bio-geneticists to revive extinct animals, I would definitely advocate bringing back many species of wolf.

There is a project underway currently in an effort to bring back the quagga, an extinct sub-species of zebra. With the use of selective breeding, scientist are trying to bring the species back. I don't know if any similiar projects are being explored for wolf species, but if they can be produced through selective breeding, then I'd hope some scientists would look into species revival.

Anyway, I would love to see the return of the quagga and the dodo bird as far as extinct species are concerned. When it comes to mythical creatures, I am voting for the griffen/gryphon without a doubt.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I ADORE gryphons (griffins, griffens, however you wish to spell them). They are my favorite mythical animal, in part becuase they aren't quite as popular as the dragon or the unicorn. Being lion/eagle, they are creatures of both land and sky. I wrote an entire novel about a genetically-engineered one, not that anyone's been willing so far to publish it. Wondering if anyone here would read it if I slapped it up on Kindle...

As for extinct creatures: I'm in favor of actually bringing back any creature that went extinct by the hands of man/in fairly recent times. I like the idea of brining back Japanese wolves, and the quagga,the dodo and the Tasmanian tiger.

I'm not so sure about animals that belonged to the deep past, but if I had my choice of a freaky prehistoric pet, provided I could tame it and keep it from eating me, I think having a pet Andrewsarchus to ride would be neat. Andrewsarchus is a beastie I met by watching the Discovery Channel - it was the largest carnivorous mammal to have ever lived, kind of wolf-like and larger than any living lion or tiger. It also had hooves (according to Discovery) and is most closely realted to modern, docile *sheep and goats.* Found a wiki article. I didn't know it was only known from a single skull - fancy that. Andrewsarchus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Also, a speculative reconstruction: http://www.museon.nl/files/Andrewsarchus2.jpg If I got to ride this thing through New York City last weekened instead of a car, it'd be crushing all those rude taxi cabs in its jaws!

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Dragons have always been my held my fascination the most. They are enormous and regal creatures, told to be vastly gifted in knowledge and understanding. It's no wonder that they loved telling riddles when they weren't busy keeping knights from saving the princess. But in spite of being so judicious, dragons still had one intrinsic trait they could not shake: Greed. They lusted over collecting treasures of all sorts—from gold to sparkly jewels—and hording then in their nests. And dragons would get defensive if man came to reclaim any valuables that they took; but what man viewed as stealing, dragons saw it is finding another trinket they could add to their collection. Although this one fault should not label dragons as simply horrid beasts, for they are truly majestic.

wlKq

Shadsie said:
I ADORE gryphons (griffins, griffens, however you wish to spell them). They are my favorite mythical animal, in part becuase they aren't quite as popular as the dragon or the unicorn. Being lion/eagle, they are creatures of both land and sky. I wrote an entire novel about a genetically-engineered one, not that anyone's been willing so far to publish it. Wondering if anyone here would read it if I slapped it up on Kindle...

Griffins are another favorite of mine. They have the most magnificent blend of two earthly animals: The strength and prowess of a lion, and the splendor and speed of an eagle. They're very close to overtaking dragons.

Not sure if this counts but i would love to be a mage as how frickin' awesome would it be if you could just shoot fire balls out of your hands and conjure up wicked awesome potions :D

A dragon by far. I always thought how amazing it would be to be a Dragon rider and I have read the Eragon Series as well as the Dragonriders of Pern series and am trying to read the Adamantine Palace series but can't seem to keep me interested. So by far above all else, dragons.

godess reborn

Blame The Cricket
Zombies. Hands down. I mean, they're walking death! How awesome is that? Alright, maybe not that awesome, but I still think they're pretty cool. As long as it was only one and it didn't go on to devour/infect the world, creating more zombies which would infect more humans, hence starting a zombie apocalypse. Wait... that might be fun...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom