• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Mysterious Rito(?) Friend of foe?

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
...Uhhh. I thought the "Skyloftians" are the people who became the Hylians. :/ I don't think this is something people "know" This is still unproven speculation isn't it?
The Japanese text of TP just outright states the Sky Tribe is the ancestors of the Hylians and that they made the City in the Sky (so strongly implied to be Skyloft it isn't funny) the Capitol of Hyrule before Hyrule Castle was established. Oocca and Skyloftians have literally the exact same name in Japanese, Sky Tribe/Sky People Tribe/Tribe of the Sky People, depending on how you want to translate it. It's identical in the symbols used for it and used as a noun rather than a descriptior.

The Skyloftians that went to the surface became Hylians, the ones that stayed in Skyloft eventually became Oocca. The dominion Rod and Temple of Time were used to communicate back and forth

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
The Japanese text of TP just outright states the Sky Tribe is the ancestors of the Hylians and that they made the City in the Sky (so strongly implied to be Skyloft it isn't funny) the Capitol of Hyrule before Hyrule Castle was established. Oocca and Skyloftians have literally the exact same name in Japanese, Sky Tribe/Sky People Tribe/Tribe of the Sky People, depending on how you want to translate it. It's identical in the symbols used for it and used as a noun rather than a descriptior.

The Skyloftians that went to the surface became Hylians, the ones that stayed in Skyloft eventually became Oocca. The dominion Rod and Temple of Time were used to communicate back and forth
Okay.... But there are more than two Sky tribes throughout the series, like the one in MC. Where do they fit in? Are they just the in-between Oocca and Skyloftian race? It definitely makes sense, especially since Shad says the legend is that they created Hylians and if you look at their culture. It sure makes a lot of sense if you put all the pieces together, but everyone doesn't know about Japanese translations, that's why I was saying you can't really say that "we all know" since there are a lot of people who don't play the game in Japanese or do in-depth studies that have to do with translating the game. :/ But I can definitely see the connections that prove it.

Except people can't become birds? Barring some obscenely gross bestiality on part of the hylians.

Except people can't become birds? Barring some obscenely gross bestiality on part of the hylians.
Fish became birds, Zelda is full of weird ****, might as well get used to it.

The most likely conclusion is that the birds are an entirely new race. It's very rare for Nintendo to reuse a race that isn't one of the big five (Hylians, Gorons, Zora, Gerudo, and Sheikah, and even then the last two are pretty obscure) and I think they did just pick the Koroks because they're really cute in design and they already looked great in a cel shading game prior to this.

Also, to respond to the argument above, the evolution of the two species that still lived in the sky after SS most likely went:

Skyloftian > Wind Tribe (maybe? Wind Tribe really doesn't fit into anything based on their origins) > Oocca,

with Loftwings MAYBE evolving into the new race, which is still kind of a large jump to make just because the new birdrace is avian.

Last edited:

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
and I think they did just pick the Koroks because they're really cute in design and they already looked great in a cel shading game prior to this.
So the Zora should still exist at the same time as these new bird people then, right? :/ So do you think the Zora will be present in this game? If they don't that will show that they are in fact the Rito. (which imo with how similar they look I think it's pretty it's pretty obvious...)

So the Zora should still exist at the same time as these new bird people then, right? :/ So do you think the Zora will be present in this game? If they don't that will show that they are in fact the Rito. (which imo with how similar they look I think it's pretty it's pretty obvious...)
What are the similarities besides the fact that they're birds? Literally, name anything. Ritos have mouths. These birds don't. Ritos have feet. These birds have talons. Rito only had feathers covering certain parts of their bodies. These new birds are covered head to toe. The Zora may or may not appear, but it having an effect on whether or not these are Rito is unlikely; if they do, ok, if they don't, it doesn't really change things if the race is confirmed to have a different origin ingame.

Reactions: Pen

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
What are the similarities besides the fact that they're birds? Literally, name anything. Ritos have mouths. These birds don't. Ritos have feet. These birds have talons. Rito only had feathers covering certain parts of their bodies. These new birds are covered head to toe. The Zora may or may not appear, but it having an effect on whether or not these are Rito is unlikely; if they do, ok, if they don't, it doesn't really change things if the race is confirmed to have a different origin ingame.
Rito have beaks too (as well as mouths)! Rito are basically the same size, Rito wear clothes, Rito legs are shaped the exact same way (like a bird leg). Being a giant bird man gives a whole ton of similarities, what other big bird men are there!? What doesn't make sense though, is evolving from a person with full use of their arms and legs into a little chicken with a man head and then into a man-bird that can fly. :/ However, it wouldn't take much time for a change like this to happen to the Rito. They could have just eventually overpopulated Dragon Roost Island so they had to split up. Perhaps Valoo died and granted them the ability to have kids already born with wings. The Rito at the different spots of the world look different than each other. That's why we get tropical birds like Kass and whatever kind of birds like Falco. It would make more sense to me if it were a more further evolved Rito than some random new species, ESP one that came from the Loftwings or the Oocca. Loftwings have had enough time to evolve and we haven't seen them in a while, but do we even know they can evolve? Oocca is a definite no unless this game takes place before Twilight Princess, since they have already evolved into practically just a brain, and evolving doesn't work like big-dumb small-smart-big smart :/ So maybe, but probs not. Maybe evolution works through magic with all species all the time. I really can't say for sure since I don't know how evolution works in Hyrule.

Rito have beaks too (as well as mouths)! Rito are basically the same size, Rito wear clothes, Rito legs are shaped the exact same way (like a bird leg).
Rito have human esque mouths. They may have nose bills, but they most definitely do not have the full on beaks that Falco and Kass have.
180px-Medli_The_Wind_Waker_HD.png
BotW_Kass_Model.png

Rito really aren't the same size either, as these new birds appear to be much larger in size, which much larger arms and torsos and smaller heads when the two are compared. They really don't share clothing articles either, as the only clothing they really have in common are scarves. If anything, they're wearing the baggy pants that the Skyloftian Knights wore, making their connection to the Loftwings all the greater. Also, the Rito seem to have actual feet, as opposed to Kass and Falco, who, like I stated in my previous post, only have birdlike talons.
Being a giant bird man gives a whole ton of similarities, what other big bird men are there!?
So basically you're saying since there's only one other giant bird man race (which isn't even accurate) that automatically means these are 100% rito? That's like saying Nejirons are 100% Gorons because they have a few similar aspects. It doesn't just work like that.
What doesn't make sense though, is evolving from a person with full use of their arms and legs into a little chicken with a man head and then into a man-bird that can fly. :/
I agree, I don't know where you got the notion I subscribed to the idea that it went Skyloftian>Wind Tribe>Oocca>Kass/Falco race
However, it wouldn't take much time for a change like this to happen to the Rito. They could have just eventually overpopulated Dragon Roost Island so they had to split up. Perhaps Valoo died and granted them the ability to have kids already born with wings. The Rito at the different spots of the world look different than each other.
But there's literally no evidence for this. That entire part of your post is headcanon.
It would make more sense to me if it were a more further evolved Rito than some random new species, ESP one that came from the Loftwings or the Oocca. Loftwings have had enough time to evolve and we haven't seen them in a while, but do we even know they can evolve?
If the situation needed or they were introduced to new things by the Hylians, the Loftwings could have easily evolved.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
I agree, I don't know where you got the notion I subscribed to the idea that it went Skyloftian>Wind Tribe>Oocca>Kass/Falco race
Sorry, that was more talking to the other guy.
Rito have human esque mouths. They may have nose bills, but they most definitely do not have the full on beaks that Falco and Kass have.
And remind me why the Rito whose mouths are already transforming into beaks won't eventually become beaks? :/ Who's to say the Rito is the finished product of evolution? It looks more like they are in the process of evolving with how their anatomy is set up. Hence the bird legs without the talons and only the bill of their beak, heck, they were featherless and needed magic to be able to fly! You could never call that a final form.
Rito really aren't the same size either, as these new birds appear to be much larger in size, which much larger arms and torsos and smaller heads when the two are compared. They really don't share clothing articles either, as the only clothing they really have in common are scarves. If anything, they're wearing the baggy pants that the Skyloftian Knights wore, making their connection to the Loftwings all the greater. Also, the Rito seem to have actual feet, as opposed to Kass and Falco, who, like I stated in my previous post, only have birdlike talons.
Oh okay, so now the type of pants we wear is of greater significance than scarfs!? He's wearing baggy pants because he's covered in feathers! I don't think it has anything to do with style. Remember what I said about things growing bigger when they evolve? :/ Look at the color scheme bro.
So basically you're saying since there's only one other giant bird man race (which isn't even accurate) that automatically means these are 100% rito? That's like saying Nejirons are 100% Gorons because they have a few similar aspects. It doesn't just work like that.
What other giant bird man race is there that can think and are sentient beings? :/ does that work.

Yeah it was head-canon but it still makes more sense than Loftwings, like where have they been for the past millenia? Flying around in their spaceship protecting hyrule from Aliens or what? Can you even think up a reason for them to be here?

I'll tell you what we haven't seen happen in the Zelda Universe. We haven't seen a creature that doesn't have enough intelligence to speak evolve into a creature that DOES. So far we have seen creatures like the Zora, which already have their own culture and are civilized beings as well as the kokiri which also have their own culture. This kind of evolution hasn't happened yet, not saying it's impossible, but why would it happen? Plus, The Loftwings never really were important to the story, they were mostly a means to get around. Maybe they evolved into horses? (That's a joke, but for real)

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
Okay.... But there are more than two Sky tribes throughout the series, like the one in MC. Where do they fit in? Are they just the in-between Oocca and Skyloftian race? It definitely makes sense, especially since Shad says the legend is that they created Hylians and if you look at their culture. It sure makes a lot of sense if you put all the pieces together, but everyone doesn't know about Japanese translations, that's why I was saying you can't really say that "we all know" since there are a lot of people who don't play the game in Japanese or do in-depth studies that have to do with translating the game. :/ But I can definitely see the connections that prove it.

The difference between the Wind Tribe and the Skyloftians/Oocca/Sky Tribe that everyone convienently forgets is the Skyloftians seem strongly implied by TP to have never left the sky (the ones that did leave and founded Hyrule were no longer considered Skyloftians, but rather Hylians) and made the City in the Sky as Hyrule's Capitol; the Wind Tribe in TMC is stated in TMC to have been average Hylians guarding the Wind Element of the Picori, even being King Gustaf's favorite people, before leaving and going to the clouds FROM the surface

Because of the vastly different scenarios there's pretty solidly no relation between the two. At best the Wind Tribe simply modeled themselves off of the Skyloftians.

TMC being before OoT is possible, but pretty freaking dodgy, considering the implied circumstances surrounding the Light Force/Picori Blade's creation and the status of the Triforce post SS and the war that resulted in the third temple of time as implied in ALBW. The circumstances leading to the War of the Bound Chest would also seem to have to be shortly after SS, or be a giant coincidence, making it even dodgier because of the Triforce's status. I suppose that's neither here nor there though overall unless you wanna speculate the Wind Tribe also became like the Oocca

Or perhaps they're bird people -glares at BotW-

And remind me why the Rito whose mouths are already transforming into beaks won't eventually become beaks? :/ Who's to say the Rito is the finished product of evolution? It looks more like they are in the process of evolving with how their anatomy is set up. Hence the bird legs without the talons and only the bill of their beak, heck, they were featherless and needed magic to be able to fly! You could never call that a final form.
The change from Zora to Rito wasn't some gradual, natural evolution; the Goddesses changed them all at once to prevent them from being able to swim to the remains of Hyrule, meaning the evolution they became is what the Goddesses definitely intended their final forms to be.
Oh okay, so now the type of pants we wear is of greater significance than scarfs!? He's wearing baggy pants because he's covered in feathers! I don't think it has anything to do with style. Remember what I said about things growing bigger when they evolve? :/ Look at the color scheme bro.
How do feathers equate to baggy pants? Also, the one single thing shared between the new species and the rito's clothing is the white scarf Kass is wearing, while Falco is wearing a blue one. It's much more likely that other members of the race will wear different colored scarfs, leaving the white ones futile. Also, the Rito never wore the brown, armor like shirt that Kass is wearing, much less the striped sleeves. Also, I don't really understand what you're trying to prove by talking about things growing during evolution; if anything, your explanation also disproves the Rito alongside Oocca as they Rito are smaller, and, as you said, things don't go from "small-smart to big-smart."
What other giant bird man race is there that can think and are sentient beings? :/ does that work.
That still doesn't single out just the Rito.
Yeah it was head-canon but it still makes more sense than Loftwings, like where have they been for the past millenia? Flying around in their spaceship protecting hyrule from Aliens or what? Can you even think up a reason for them to be here?
Thinking up a reason would benefit nobody, as it would just be another headcanon story like the Valoo one you made.
I'll tell you what we haven't seen happen in the Zelda Universe. We haven't seen a creature that doesn't have enough intelligence to speak evolve into a creature that DOES. So far we have seen creatures like the Zora, which already have their own culture and are civilized beings as well as the kokiri which also have their own culture. This kind of evolution hasn't happened yet, not saying it's impossible, but why would it happen? Plus, The Loftwings never really were important to the story, they were mostly a means to get around. Maybe they evolved into horses? (That's a joke, but for real)
As we play throughout the series, we can see that, particularly in the end of the Downfall Timeline (meaning there's a large time for monsters to become more intelligent/cultured) we see an increase of monsters that can talk, from saying it's a secret to everybody to a Goriya giving you a boomerang in exchange for your other items in Link's Awakening. We've already seen this form of evolution throughout the Zelda timeline itself. Also, the Loftwings are actually pretty important, considering they're adorning every Hylian building/flag/etc of importance, with the red one even adorning the shield that all the Knights of Hyrule use. Not to mention they literally put it next to the Triforce, meaning loftwings are only a little less (if not equally) important to them as the Triforce.

Pen

The game is on!

You seem to overlook the Fokka of Zelda II. They are also humanoid bird-like creatures in Zelda. Though they act as enemies and do not speak in the game, I would still argue that they are indeed intelligent judging by the way the fight.

Knowing of the Fokka, are you equally inclined to believe they are related to Kass' race as the Rito, or do you still think it is more likely to be the Rito? Ultimately the Rito and the Fokka are about equally far away from Kass' race design-wise. While the Rito lack the bird beak and the bird feet, the Fokka lack the wings. Looking at that the Fokka are even one step more similar to Kass' race than the Rito is. I'm just curious to know your opinion on this potential relation, Amy, since you seem convinced that Kass' race is an evolved Rito tribe.

I do personally not think that Kass' race is either Rito or Fokka (nor an evolved form of them), but the topic is very interesting to me. If anyone else knows of any other cannon human-bird creatures in Zelda, I'd like to know. :)

Kass' race:
Screenshot_2016-12-03-13-54-22.png

Fokka:
Fokka.png

Rito:
Quill.png

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
Come on guys! It's finals week, 3v1 now?
You seem to overlook the Fokka of Zelda II. They are also humanoid bird-like creatures in Zelda. Though they act as enemies and do not speak in the game, I would still argue that they are indeed intelligent judging by the way the fight.
Alright, here is why it can't be the Fokka. The Fokka are monsters which all come from Demise. :/ Why would a monster ever help you without being threatened or by bribing you to leave them alone? (Link's awakening was all a dream, so that Goriya never actually gave you a boomerang because he didn't exist) Can't we all just assume at this point that whatever these bird people are, they are probably from one of the "free peoples" so to speak, of Hylia? Just look at Kass! Is he a monster? The guy has sheet music and he points you in the right direction. They are most likely a species created by Hylia at the least. :/ But maybe people will make peace with some of the bad guys. That just seems unlikely.

The change from Zora to Rito wasn't some gradual, natural evolution; the Goddesses changed them all at once to prevent them from being able to swim to the remains of Hyrule, meaning the evolution they became is what the Goddesses definitely intended their final forms to be.
Where the heck did you get this from? I just looked for this in the historia and it said nothing of the sort.
How do feathers equate to baggy pants?
You have heard of a pillow haven't you? As for clothing style changing, why would it stay the same? The clothing style of the Hylians changes all of the time.
And for Moblins being smart. Yeah, who said monsters HAVE TO be dumb? Moblins are smart in every game besides OoT. They run over to places when you make noise, they can write letters, they can talk, they know MMA, they walk around bombs, they use sheilds to block your attacks. Monsters can be smart, whose to say that moblins started out brainless? They just didn't have the programming efficient to make intelligent AI back in the old days.
And about Loftwings being important. I had said important to the "story" what you mentioned had nothing to do with the story.

Well, It's finals week for me so I should get busy with my homework. The only logical conclusion that I can see is the bird people being a further evolved Rito. I see absolutely no reason for the Loftwings to return, heck, maybe it's a cross between the Rito and a Loftwing? and if the Fokka somehow aren't actually monsters, it might be cool to see them return. :/ Those seem a little out there, and I can see actual evidence showing them to be the Rito (Koroks and salt). I actually hope we get to fight some of these birdmen, we fought the Zora in Alttp. But I suppose we'll just have to wait to know for sure...

Pen

The game is on!
The only logical conclusion that I can see is the bird people being a further evolved Rito.

As far as I can see there's little logic to this. If they are evolved Ritos, shouldn't they be "better"? Evolution typically causes beneficial change, but as far as I can tell the Ritos are overall more advanced than Kass' race. Here's why:

1. Rito have actual hands in addition to their wings, which are undoubtedly more handy (no pun intended) than the wings of Kass' race.

2. Rito have a human-like mouth which is way more efficient for speech than a bird's beak is.

3. Rito have long visible ears which makes them able to hear better than Kass' race which I assume have only holes for ears.

Also, I don't buy your reasoning as to why it can't be the evolved Fokka instead. We've had enemies turn good in the past. Just look at the Zora in ALttP and ALBW for example. They act as enemies for the most part in ALttP, but in ALBW they're good guys and one of them is even a Sage. Even though I am of the opinion that Kass' race is probably a brand new one, I think that IF for some reason they are related to a previously known race, it's most likely the Fokka based on the striking resemblance (apart from the arms/wings).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom