• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My Zelda Timeline Theory

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
WHEELTIMELINE.png

This is my current working wheel timeline theory. Basically, any timeline that breaks the curse of demise will branch off into a linear timeline and escape. Any other timeline will loop back into the main cycle of the curse. This does a good job of explaining 2 inconsistencies in the official timeline, as it provides reasoning for the existence of civilization pre skyward sword era and also smooths over any confusion about fs/fsa because who honestly can keep those games apart
What do you think about this proposition?

What is the evidence for the CT and DT looping? Who's to say that the civilization pre-SS is the Kingdom of Hyrule and not a different civilization that existed on the surface before Hyrule Kingdom was established post-SS? How do you explain the fact that the MS already exists in the CT and DT if SS is after all the games on them, especially when a huge plot point for SS is that it features the forging of the MS? Do you think it's really plausible that Nintendo would even go for an idea like this when it would limit their ability to place new games on the CT and DT if true?

Also, the placement for the Oracles is outdated, and you forgot ALBW/TFH.

Mikey the Moblin

What is the evidence for the CT and DT looping?
The downfall timeline is likely a loop
We know that something existed before botw, and whatever it was had access to advanced technology
Botw's landscape works as a precursor to skyward sword, and botw2 has islands in the sky. When botw2 comes out it could end up shattering this possibility, but for now it works

Who's to say that the civilization pre-SS is the Kingdom of Hyrule and not a different civilization that existed on the surface before Hyrule Kingdom was established post-SS?
Occam's razor I guess
They worship the same gods and stuff according to skyward sword opening cutscene, just simpler to assume that Hyrule has always been Hyrule because it's always been Hyrule

How do you explain the fact that the MS already exists in the CT and DT if SS is after all the games on them, especially when a huge plot point for SS is that it features the forging of the MS?
I think the master sword will get broken in botw2
Do you think it's really plausible that Nintendo would even go for an idea like this when it would limit their ability to place new games on the CT and DT if true?
I don't think it would limit their ability to place new games, and they would be doing it to strengthen the structure of the timeline in a way that allows them to build off it more in unique ways. Like the wheel timeline could allow for age of calamity to be canon and create a branch in another section of the downfall wheel where they can play with completely different settings because the setup to that point had been completely different than the default oot branch. It's good for them imo, I think they're doing it

Also, the placement for the Oracles is outdated, and you forgot ALBW/TFH.
I just used the biggest timeline image I could find lol
And conveniently the image is hosted on Zelda dungeon

The downfall timeline is likely a loop
We know that something existed before botw, and whatever it was had access to advanced technology
Botw's landscape works as a precursor to skyward sword, and botw2 has islands in the sky. When botw2 comes out it could end up shattering this possibility, but for now it works

Advanced technology has existed in multiple eras, though; look at Tower of the Gods in TWW, for example, or Beamos, which appear in multiple games across different eras in different branches. How is that an indicator of anything?

They worship the same gods and stuff according to skyward sword opening cutscene, just simpler to assume that Hyrule has always been Hyrule because it's always been Hyrule

Multiple real life civilizations, both past and present, have shared gods and faiths. Hell, the Oracles Din, Nayru, and Farore are named after the Golden Goddesses despite them living in foreign lands outside of Hyrule.

I think the master sword will get broken in botw2

Hypotheticals are not evidence.

I don't think it would limit their ability to place new games, and they would be doing it to strengthen the structure of the timeline in a way that allows them to build off it more in unique ways. Like the wheel timeline could allow for age of calamity to be canon and create a branch in another section of the downfall wheel where they can play with completely different settings because the setup to that point had been completely different than the default oot branch. It's good for them imo, I think they're doing it

What if Nintendo wants to place games on the DT after BotW2 though, or on the CT after FSA? Hard to do that if things just start over with SS again.

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

Advanced technology has existed in multiple eras, though; look at Tower of the Gods in TWW, for example, or Beamos, which appear in multiple games across different eras in different branches. How is that an indicator of anything?
Sorry, I misspoke
Civilization existed before skyward sword
The whole point of the wheel theory comes from finding a solution to that issue that doesn't just say "maybe there's another game before it"
Thematics are not the greatest evidence, but they are some amount of circumstantial evidence. And with the recent release of skyward sword hd in combination with the focus of sky islands in botw2 I believe Nintendo is drawing a connection between botw2 and skyward sword. For this reason I find a wheel timeline a more plausible explanation compared to another potential explanation

Multiple civilizations, both past and present, have shared gods and faiths. Hell, the Oracles of Din, Nayru, and Farore are named after the Golden Goddesses despite them living in foreign lands outside of Hyrule.
Do you have ideas for what other cultures could have existed before skyward sword? I don't think it's an unfair assumption to allow

more importantly can they still work in the confines of a wheel

Hypotheticals are not evidence.
Then let me say it this way- the master sword appears to be broken in botw2, so there is a chance it remains that way by the end of the game, meaning a new master sword has to be forged. Depends on how tightly Nintendo wants to make a connection to skyward sword. Imagine if link just places the goddess sword on an island pedestal

What if Nintendo wants to place games on the DT after BotW2 though, or on the CT after FSA? Hard to do that if things just start over with SS again.
They can create a new spoke on the wheel. Easy

Sorry, I misspoke
Civilization existed before skyward sword
The whole point of the wheel theory comes from finding a solution to that issue that doesn't just say "maybe there's another game before it"
Thematics are not the greatest evidence, but they are some amount of circumstantial evidence. And with the recent release of skyward sword hd in combination with the focus of sky islands in botw2 I believe Nintendo is drawing a connection between botw2 and skyward sword. For this reason I find a wheel timeline a more plausible explanation compared to another potential explanation

But sky islands are another relatively common theme in Zelda games; games like TMC and TP have them as well. Just because there's sky islands doesn't mean that BotW2 is before SS. That's like saying that Arghus and Vaati are both one in the same because they have a giant eye.

Why does this civilization have to be one we've seen ingame? There's not enough evidence suggesting that it was the Kingdom of Hyrule, nor does SS try to hint at that being the case. It's more of an assumption to say, ''This civilization was the Kingdom of Hyrule'' then to simply say ''We don't know what this civilization was, and we don't have enough data to arrive at a conclusion yet''.

Then let me say it this way- the master sword appears to be broken in botw2, so there is a chance it remains that way by the end of the game, meaning a new master sword has to be forged. Depends on how tightly Nintendo wants to make a connection to skyward sword. Imagine if link just places the goddess sword on an island pedestal

Yeah, Nintendo isn't going to let their most iconic blade in one of their most iconic series stay broken forever. I'll eat my nonexistent hat.

They can create a new spoke on the wheel. Easy

So, you mean a split within a split?

Mikey the Moblin

But sky islands are another relatively common theme in Zelda games; games like TMC and TP have them as well. Just because there's sky islands doesn't mean that BotW2 is before SS. That's like saying that Arghus and Vaati are both one in the same because they have a giant eye.

Why does this civilization have to be one we've seen ingame? There's not enough evidence suggesting that it was the Kingdom of Hyrule, nor does SS try to hint at that being the case. It's more of an assumption to say, ''This civilization was the Kingdom of Hyrule'' then to simply say ''We don't know what this civilization was, and we don't have enough data to arrive at a conclusion yet''.
I disagree entirely
I'll eat my nonexistent hat.
Get the ketchup

So, you mean a split within a split?
They can always do this to the linear timeline too. It should just look more like tree branches or river tributaries

Honestly, this idea does not limit the story telling potential of the games at all. The loop is not a confined loop size. The loop could be near infinite. It also basically creates narrative for free. Just like the idea that Breath of the Wild is at the current end of it's time line, or even all three, there is still room for nearly any story, as long as it's not a definitive series ending halting story. But, that solid end is not likely to begin with.

As for the Master Sword, it's already been theorized that the blade we see in Wind Waker is a recreation, seeing as the original was sent back with Link, at the end of Ocarina of Time. I've also theorized that the Magic Swords we see through the series are attempts at recreating the Master Sword. I think recreating the blade is nothing new.

Keeping in mind, that the series has time travel, and manipulation, as an existing thing, we could have the loop created a number of ways. We could even have other branches just as easy. (I'm still looking at you, Skyward Sword.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom