• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My updated timeline

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
It was never confirmed whether Oracles Link is the same as ALttP/LA Link, but the point of moving Oracles after Link's Awakening in Zelda Encyclopedia was to say Oracles Link is a different Hero altogether, and that explains why Zelda introduces herself.

That doesn't mean that this Link is different from the one seen in ALttP and LA. After all, how come Link is able to touch the Triforce in the menu intro scene in order to get transported to Labrynna and Holodrum?

That would mean that for this to be another incarnation of Link, he would have to go through is own adventure in order to gain access to the Triforce in order to get transported to Labrynna and Holodrum. And correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Impa recognize Link in the Oracles games?

If anything it would mean that Link in OoA/OoS would actually be more likely to be Link from the original Legend of Zelda, given that he doesn't know Zelda but he DOES know Impa. So if anything, Nintendo doofed up on Link in OoA/OoS being connected to Link from ALttP/LA and he should rather be Link from LoZ/Zelda II.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
It was never confirmed whether Oracles Link is the same as ALttP/LA Link, but the point of moving Oracles after Link's Awakening in Zelda Encyclopedia was to say Oracles Link is a different Hero altogether, and that explains why Zelda introduces herself.
I hate this timeline confusion so much b/c for this thread https://zeldadungeon.net/forum/threads/links-altered-appearance-thoughts.69417/

I made it thinking they were separate, but I think somewhere during there I saw a passage from hyrule encyclopedia or something that said all 4 games had the same link, like what Az mentioned in that thread

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
That would mean that for this to be another incarnation of Link, he would have to go through is own adventure in order to gain access to the Triforce in order to get transported to Labrynna and Holodrum. And correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Impa recognize Link in the Oracles games?
impa recognizing link wouldn't matter for connecting it to link to the past since impa wasn't in that game

RamboBambiBambo

The timeline confusion is a result of Nintendo not actually sticking to a timeline that much in the first place. And add on top of that, they are trying to mix Capcom's Zelda games into their timeline. Games that had a different dev team and just went ham on making the games fun and explorative. Capcom created Vaati, The Force instead of the Tri-Force, Labrynna, Holodrum, Onox, and Veran.

Nintendo just did approval here and there, and since they weren't too keen on making a timeline at the time; it came out just fine for them in 2000. But then everyone keeps demanding timelines and Nintendo posts one in 2011... then goes back on it in like 2017 or whenever Encyclopedia came out.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
The timeline confusion is a result of Nintendo not actually sticking to a timeline that much in the first place. And add on top of that, they are trying to mix Capcom's Zelda games into their timeline. Games that had a different dev team and just went ham on making the games fun and explorative. Capcom created Vaati, The Force instead of the Tri-Force, Labrynna, Holodrum, Onox, and Veran.

Nintendo just did approval here and there, and since they weren't too keen on making a timeline at the time; it came out just fine for them in 2000. But then everyone keeps demanding timelines and Nintendo posts one in 2011... then goes back on it in like 2017 or whenever Encyclopedia came out.
the only games that presented any open speculation for their placement are the capcom made ones, since I could never find an official statement on where those games were intended to be placed when they originally came out

RamboBambiBambo

impa recognizing link wouldn't matter for connecting it to link to the past since impa wasn't in that game
True. Which is why in that same response I mentioned that it makes more sense for OoA/OoS Link to be the same Link incarnation from the original NES Zelda titles, since according to the game manual (which used to be vital in providing context to getting the game story setup before the player hit start back in the old days of videogames); Link encountered and saved Impa, who then gave him his task of assembling the Triforce of Courage.

If anything it is likely that the OoA and OoS games take place between The Legend of Zelda and Zelda II, given that in Zelda II the goal was to prevent Ganon's revival by not dying and to awaken the original Zelda that was put to sleep a century prior, since the Zelda you encounter in the original Legend of Zelda is actually a family member descendant named Zelda the Second.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
True. Which is why in that same response I mentioned that it makes more sense for OoA/OoS Link to be the same Link incarnation from the original NES Zelda titles, since according to the game manual (which used to be vital in providing context to getting the game story setup before the player hit start back in the old days of videogames); Link encountered and saved Impa, who then gave him his task of assembling the Triforce of Courage.
no, link saves impa in the opening of both games, it's not talking about a previous unseen encounter w/ impa

RamboBambiBambo

no, link saves impa in the opening of both games, it's not talking about a previous unseen encounter w/ impa
Ah.......
But how to explain the fact that Link has to be introduced to Zelda....
Perhaps after Link's Awakening, he is uncertain of what is real and what is a dream? And thus by finding himself in Holodrum and Labrynna, he doesn't recognize Zelda at first?

Or perhaps we are reading into this too much and the devs had to announce it was Zelda we were seeing since she is a sprite made of pixels.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Ah.......
Perhaps after Link's Awakening, he is uncertain of what is real and what is a dream? And thus by finding himself in Holodrum and Labrynna, he doesn't recognize Zelda at first?

Or perhaps we are reading into this too much and the devs had to announce it was Zelda we were seeing since she is a sprite made of pixels.
gfjl4zzmdbh11.jpg

here's the updated timeline from the zelda encyclopedia, you can see the oracles are "set in the same era" from link to the past, and you could infer its the same link from that, which all it does is raise questions of why change the placements and how the whole zelda meeting in the oracles games work

if it isn't the same link, then this picture doesn't convey that well at all, since each bold box seems to represent a different link, w/ the exception of zelda 2

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
That doesn't mean that this Link is different from the one seen in ALttP and LA. After all, how come Link is able to touch the Triforce in the menu intro scene in order to get transported to Labrynna and Holodrum?

If anything it would mean that Link in OoA/OoS would actually be more likely to be Link from the original Legend of Zelda, given that he doesn't know Zelda but he DOES know Impa. So if anything, Nintendo doofed up on Link in OoA/OoS being connected to Link from ALttP/LA and he should rather be Link from LoZ/Zelda II.
I've gone back and forth on this particular issue for a long time honestly. I do kind of lean in favor of the Hyrule Historia placement of the Oracles precisely because the Triforce called out to Link. I wrote an article about this on the frontpage actually, if you are interested I'll link it.

The counter argument is the Triforce calling out to him and saying he needs to prove hinself as a hero doesn't make sense if it's ALttP Link, who already proved himself before.

Impa doesn't recognize Link but does recognize the Triforce symbol on his hand.

It is worth mentioning that Capcom was originally trying to remake TLoZ for the GameBoy, but then Miyamoto told them to make new games. Because of this there are some people who do think the Oracle games should be after TLoZ. The problem with this, however, is that the Oracle games need to be somewhere after ALttP and ALBW by default because it explains why the Triforce is split in ALBW, and also why Ganon is mindless.

There doesn't need to be an explanation because the Oracles already offer one: Zelda had a dream where she saw Link being attacked by a great darkness, and that was what prompted her to leave Impa's care. This explains how Zelda recognizes him, but not how she knows his name.

RamboBambiBambo

I have seen the timeline in question. I have the book. I am just saying that even the timeline is still kinda janky here and there.

EDIT:
Besides, this discussion was originally about how my fan-made game concepts would fit into the timeline we have currently. I had a link to the Goodle Sheets document I had shared in my original post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom