• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My Unpopular Opinion About Food and Drink.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
My unpopular food opinion is that slurping is okay. In some foods, and a lot of drinks with complex flavors like beer, tea, wine, and whisk(e)y, it brings forth other flavors and aromas, enhancing the experience.

If you hate slurping, first of all, no slurp shaming! Second, you might not want to hear me eat ramen or drink tea, beer, whisk(e)y, or wine, for I am one of the slurpiest men in these neck of the woods.

So kings and queens, you have my approval to slurp away! Let's end slurp shaming!

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
In Japan it's actually considered rude not to slurp your noodles. It's a sign that you enjoyed them!

Honestly it bugs me a little but I learn to ignore it; I tend to slurp subconsciously anyhow and I'd hate to he a hypocrite.
I also don't find burping rude. To me, that signified that you enjoyed your food or drink. :)

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I think some slurping is fine. But I get extremely bothered by some noises if they go on too long, so constant slurping can make me uncomfortable. My dad was a loud eater and I couldn't stand being around him when he ate for very long. But if you're finishing off a bowl of broth from soup or something then it's not a huge deal. Since I'm guilty of some slurping with stuff like that as well.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I think some slurping is fine. But I get extremely bothered by some noises if they go on too long, so constant slurping can make me uncomfortable. My dad was a loud eater and I couldn't stand being around him when he ate for very long. But if you're finishing off a bowl of broth from soup or something then it's not a huge deal. Since I'm guilty of some slurping with stuff like that as well.
I get that, so I would recommend not to enjoy tea with me, because I slurp tea pretty aggressively to get the aromatics and the flavors.

I do that with whisk(e)y too, just not as aggressively, because that tends to release a lot of alcohol vapors. Fitting, since whisk(e)y is hard liquor.

Reactions: Dio

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
In Japan it's actually considered rude not to slurp your noodles. It's a sign that you enjoyed them!

I remember seeing this first hand was a little jarring at first but once I got used to it whenever I'd go and eat out at a ramen place - especially when it was delicious (which was nearly all the time...).

That being said I wouldn't slurp my food in a public restaurant here in Australia since it is out of the norm.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I remember seeing this first hand was a little jarring at first but once I got used to it whenever I'd go and eat out at a ramen place - especially when it was delicious (which was nearly all the time...).

That being said I wouldn't slurp my food in a public restaurant here in Australia since it is out of the norm.
Just slurp, my dude! It shows you're enjoying your food and drink. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom