• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My Timeline Theory.

I will show how I came to my timeline conclusions. The Four Swords games are not included.

i. The Hyrule Fantasy.

HF

ii. The Adventure of Link comes within a few years after the Hyrule Fantasy.

HF/AL

iii. Triforce of the Gods (A Link to the Past) appearently precreeds the Hyrule Fantasy.

TG--HF/AL

iv. Link's Awakening follows Triforce of the Gods.

TG/LA--HF/AL

v. Ocarina of Time tells the backstory of Triforce of the Gods

OT--TG/LA--HF/AL

vi. Majora's Mask directly follows Ocarina of Time.

OT/MM--TG/LA--HF/AL

vii. I have read that at the end of the linked Oracle games, Link leaves on a boat similiar to the one seen at the beginning of Link's Awakening. Also, in Triforce of the Gods, Ganon is defeated, and in the Oracle games an attempt is made to ressurect him.

OT/MM--TG/OoX/LA--HF/AL

viii. The Wind Waker takes place in the alternate timeline created at the end of Ocarina of Time.

........../-TG/OoX/LA--HF/AL
OT/MM-
..........\-WW

ix. Now I make a controversial move. At the end of Ocarina of Time two timelines exist- one where Ganondorf is sealed into the sacred realm after reigning for seven years, and another where he is to be executed seven years earlier. The Wind Waker takes place in the former, Twilight Princess in the latter. In Twilight Princess the attempt to execute Ganondorf fails, and he is sealed not the in Sacred Realm, but the Twilight Realm. So this must take place on a seperate timeline than the Wind Waker. In the Wind Waker, though, only the Human Ganondorf appears, while in Triforce of the Gods only the Beast Ganon appears. Somehow in the sacred realm these two aspects must have seperated. Triforce of the Gods must preceed the Wind Waker because it takes place in Old Hyrule, and the map bears similarities to that of Ocarina of Time. So I revoke my previous ideas and shift all games aside from Twilight Princess into the Wind Waker timeline. Hyrule Fantasy and Adventure of Link take place after the Wind Waker, because how else could they suceed Triforce of the Gods? I understand that information is of debatable authenticity, and it may instead suceed Twilight Princess.

........../-TP
OT/MM-
..........\-TG/OoX/LA--WW--HF/AL

x. Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel to the Wind Waker.

........../-TP
OT/MM-
..........\-TG/OoX/LA--WW/PH--HF/AL

xi. Spirit Tracks is known to take place around a hundred years after Phantom Hourglass.

........../-TP
OT/MM-
..........\-TG/OoX/LA--WW/PH--ST--HF/AL

xii. Skyward Sword will preceed Ocarina of Time.

................./-TP
SS--OT/MM-
.................\-TG/OoX/LA--WW/PH--ST--HF/AL

xii. I cannot see any flaws in this timeline- except one: the placement of Hyrule Fantasy and The Adventure of Link. These games obviously take place after Ocarina of Time, given the villages being named after the sages, yet Ganon is somehow alive despite being killed in both Triforce of the Gods and in Twilight Princess, and it features the Triforce despite the Triforce appearently being missing from Spirit Track's New Hyrule. There seems to be no place to put them. If you have another idea, please tell me. In case the first two games are merely a myth or distorted account of another game, I offer the timeline without them:

................./-TP
SS--OT/MM-
.................\-TG/OoX/LA--WW/PH--ST

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
You have an interesting explanation of Ganon's appearance in TotG and Ganondorf's in WW, but there's also the problem of the Triforce in both games. WW says that the ToC was scattered with the HoT left the AT, and was only discovered by the HoW in WW. How then does it appear whole with the rest of the Triforce in TotG/OoX?

Have you considered switching their placement? Daphnes initially calls Ganondorf "Ganon" in WW until he actually sees that he's in his Gerudo form. If Ganon had been killed earlier, he would not make that mistake. Rather, perhaps Ganon is still inside the SR during WW and only finds his way out later, after the GDT creates a new continent. I don't necessarily agree with the separation of Ganondorf and Ganon, but I think this explanation works a little better under your assumptions. It also allows you to maintain the connection between TotG and HF.

You have an interesting explanation of Ganon's appearance in TotG and Ganondorf's in WW, but there's also the problem of the Triforce in both games. WW says that the ToC was scattered with the HoT left the AT, and was only discovered by the HoW in WW. How then does it appear whole with the rest of the Triforce in TotG/OoX?

Who exactly says that?

Have you considered switching their placement? Daphnes initially calls Ganondorf "Ganon" in WW until he actually sees that he's in his Gerudo form. If Ganon had been killed earlier, he would not make that mistake. Rather, perhaps Ganon is still inside the SR during WW and only finds his way out later, after the GDT creates a new continent. I don't necessarily agree with the separation of Ganondorf and Ganon, but I think this explanation works a little better under your assumptions. It also allows you to maintain the connection between TotG and HF.

What is the GDT?

So Triforce of the Gods takes place before Spirit Tracks in the same Hyrule? This strikes me as strange because not only is there "Ancient Hyrulean Writing" which wouldn't be found in such a newly inhabited land, I wouldn't think that the sage's bloodlines would be traceable through the flood and such. Also, maybe Daphnes simply misspoke or had briefly forgotten the details of his history lessons?

I apologize; I haven't played most games, only read about them.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Who exactly says that?
King Daphnes does:
When the Hero of Time was called to
embark on another journey and left the
land of Hyrule, he was separated from the
elements that made him a hero.
It is said that at that time, the Triforce of
Courage was split into eight shards and
hidden throughout the land.

Even I do not know where they rest, but
this much I do know: they lie hidden
somewhere in this Great Sea.

The Triforce of Courage is the only key that
will once again open the doorway to Hyrule.

You must search for it.

What is the GDT?

So Triforce of the Gods takes place before Spirit Tracks in the same Hyrule? This strikes me as strange because not only is there "Ancient Hyrulean Writing" which wouldn't be found in such a newly inhabited land, I wouldn't think that the sage's bloodlines would be traceable through the flood and such. Also, maybe Daphnes simply misspoke or had briefly forgotten the details of his history lessons?

I apologize; I haven't played most games, only read about them.
GDT is the Great Deku Tree. The Koroks in WW say that he's sending them out to plant trees, and eventually plans to connect all the islands.

Yeah, TotG after WW has its fair share of problems too. I was thinking, not in the new Hyrule of ST, but in the Great Sea area, transformed into one landmass by the Deku Tree; and probably not before ST, but much later to allow for the land to merge and civilization to return. It still faces many of the problems you stated though.

Daphnes said that "it is said". Accounts can be confused over ages; the Hero of Time was confused with the Hero of... Worlds?

And about the Deku Tree's plan... it made me laugh.

Daphnes said that "it is said". Accounts can be confused over ages; the Hero of Time was confused with the Hero of... Worlds?

And about the Deku Tree's plan... it made me laugh.

I've always thought people talking about accounts being confused over time is just a way out of saying "My timeline doesn't work but I'm goign to try to stick with it anyway".

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Yeah waving off a spoken legend as being 'confused' is waving off the in-game text narration, which is a significant part of the game's plot and part of the driving force behind a deal of the timeline theories anyway. That only serves to hurt the theory more than help anyone get it across.

Besides, the 'it is said' in this case directly refers to the triforce gathering journey Link then embarks on so can't just be waved off. The rest of the legend Daphnes seemed pretty sure of (and since its more than possible Daphnes lived through that, what with his being from the old world and all, I don't think its just a confused, warped legend).

I'm also concerned that you built up a reasonable timeline based on what is known, only to throw it pretty much to the side with the inclusion of TP in the list. This includes throwing games using the Triforce into the timeline after games that have no longer got the Triforce and the legend since dead with Old Hyrule. After all, one of the significant factors of PH is Tetra was setting off to find new land she could call 'Hyrule', and ST takes place on that new land. I'm not quite sure I follow the logic in that.

timeline based on what is known, only to throw it pretty much to the side with the inclusion of TP in the list. This includes throwing games using the Triforce into the timeline after games that have no longer got the Triforce and the legend since dead with Old Hyrule. After all, one of the significant factors of PH is Tetra was setting off to find new land she could call 'Hyrule', and ST takes place on that new land. I'm not quite sure I follow the logic in that.

What do you mean by this?

The definition of legend requires for there to be uncertainity as to its complete truth.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
I'm not quite sure what you're having trouble with there. In a series called the 'Legend of Zelda' I don't see why you seem to be having trouble with my use of the word. The Triforce, like the Hero of Time, became Legend, as in 'went down in history'. But by WW, these legends were becoming less and less prominent in the minds of the people. By PH, the legend that was Hyrule, and the Triforce, were all but washed away because of Daphnes' wish.

Thus, putting games after Hyrule has been replaced with a new, non-Triforce-bearing Hyrule, makes no sense to me.

But again, I'm not entirely sure what you're actually struggling with here, so please explain. If it really is the use of the word 'legend', consider how much the word is used in these games, and how many of these legends we actually get to play through. Definition of Legend or no, the things that happen in-game are things that happened to Hyrule and the attached world. Why would 'Legend' be a problem?

M

Metal_head

I don't know if you've noticed this but your placement of MM doesn't go along with your description. You said that "The Wind Waker takes place in the alternate timeline created at the end of Ocarina of Time." Yet you don't have the split in the timeline until after MM. If the split was created at the end of OoT then there shouldn't be another game before the split. Therefore according to what you've said your timeline should look like this

........../-TP
SS--OT
..........\MM-TG/OoX/LA--WW/PH--ST

On another note when you create a timeline you need to take into acount the things that have been confirmed. You had things right until you threw in TP. I believe that Nintendo has confirmed that TP is in the same timeline as MM and WW starts the other split. Since the people at Nintendo have the actual master timeline it makes sense to believe them when they say something like that. It is also basically confirmed in the game WW that it is 100 years after OoT. The legends and things that certain characters say link it to being right after OoT.

Sorry if I've done something wrong. I'm new to the forums.

I don't know if you've noticed this but your placement of MM doesn't go along with your description. You said that "The Wind Waker takes place in the alternate timeline created at the end of Ocarina of Time." Yet you don't have the split in the timeline until after MM. If the split was created at the end of OoT then there shouldn't be another game before the split. Therefore according to what you've said your timeline should look like this

........../-TP
SS--OT
..........\MM-TG/OoX/LA--WW/PH--ST

On another note when you create a timeline you need to take into acount the things that have been confirmed. You had things right until you threw in TP. I believe that Nintendo has confirmed that TP is in the same timeline as MM and WW starts the other split. Since the people at Nintendo have the actual master timeline it makes sense to believe them when they say something like that. It is also basically confirmed in the game WW that it is 100 years after OoT. The legends and things that certain characters say link it to being right after OoT.

Sorry if I've done something wrong. I'm new to the forums.

I kept it that way to show that (as is known) Majora's Mask directly follows Ocarina of Time. It's on the same timeline as Twilight Princess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom