• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda My Thoughts & Research On Ura Zelda

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
NOTE: I have so much research and things to say, it might take a while to post everything. So check back every few days for new pictures and stuff. I'll be filling out the "Reason For Editing" every time I add something, just so you know what to check out. Since it's not done, if you see a note that is in bold and italics, it's a reminder to myself to add more. When I'm done posting most of my knowledge, this message will vanish. Feel free to post any comments or questions.

Hello Fellow Dungeoners. I'll be talking about my views and opinions of Ura Zelda and most of my research. If you don't already know what Ura Zelda is, then allow me to explain. If you already know, then you can skip to the rest on this paragraph. Ura Zelda is the unreleased expanded version of Ocarina Of Time. Ocarina was originally planned to be released for the N64 Disc Drive. But due to bas sales, the N64 DD was cancelled. This led Ocarina to be redesigned for the N64. Now the cool thing with Ura Zelda is that if you had cut grass or blew up something, when you left the area and returned, the grass would still be gone, foot prints in the sand would still be there, a blown up boulder would still be blown up. Now, wouldn't you think that that would the best Zelda experience of all time? I sure would. Now time to get down to business. All pictures will have short descriptions, especially for the pictures the are lower quality and are hard to see.

I will soon have a download link of my Ura Zelda findings on this page: http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f9/my-zelda-media-collection-39720.html
It will have collection of all the pictures that I've found, scanned, gifs I've made, even some video footage that I've restored with music and sounds.

I've spent three years researching Ura Zelda. There's been plenty of times when I've almost hit a dead end. Luckily, not yet. What I've used in my researc of Ura Zelda is my computer, Nintendo Power issue 103 [this will also be in the download], an emulation of the game using cheats (it helps bypass the loading areas and areas like the Haunted Wasteland where if you stray of course, the desert will swallow you), and very little footage [also will be in download]. But let me tell you that I never use cheats when playing the actual game, just when exploring unused areas\concepts or in this case Ura Zelda. I believe that using cheats on a normal gameplay is terrible. That's why I only use cheats on the emulations when making walkthroughs or game maps for the 3D Zelda games. Anyways, back on topic. I'll be mentioning stuff about the "beta" version and Ura version because Miyamoto said that when he released Ura Zelda, it would have everything that was cut included. That meant that early\unfinished areas would be finished and included.

In 1995, Nintendo unveiled some Tech Demo footage of Zelda. The footage is less than 15 seconds, but is very action packed. Here's a few shots from it. I'll be reposting these shots with better quality ones, plus a few more shots.
qX7ptZy.png
4zz8SWv.png
7I7ncQG.png
2mb6YMN.png
kSv71Hi.png

One of the biggest rumors was that you could actually get the Triforce in the game. This is 100% false. There is footage out there that shows Link getting the Triforce, but this is not Ocarina Of Time. The Zelda team simply recreated The Eagle (Zelda NES) in 3D so they could have the feel for how a dungeon would look, how things would interact, etc. Here's a few pictures of this sequence. These first four are of the same room. The last three, I'm not sure of. In the fourth picture, Link turns his head. Does he see the chest with the Triforce? Or are these two separate rooms? I don't have an answer to that yet.
dNOt3EQ.png
AXuHXtt.png
fy7BobU.png
iaDKb7I.png
iVTXrLi.png
zVC8hPO.png
3OZBlRb.png

Link has entered the room \ The door closes a little bit more \ Link sees something off to his right \ Link turns \ Link approaches a chest \ Link opens up the chest \ The Triforce appears

Another rumor was that a Temple Of Light was left in the game codes and could still be accessed. I spent a few weeks researching this and what I found just blew my mind. Now, there is no Temple Of Light in the game, I'll explain this. If you go to the Haunted Wasteland and play the Song of Storms, a pyramid will appear. I used my Ocarina emulation and used cheats to levitate to where this pyramid appeared. I found nothing. I believe I was at the very end of the map just before you could fall into an abyss of empty space (literally). I tried this out several times, I searched all of the Haunted Wasteland looking for this pyramid. I have concluded that this pyramid appearing after the Song Of Storms has been played is just a glitch in the game. Nothing more.

Another rumor was a Sky Temple. People think that the Sky Temple's entrance was in the Sacred Forest Meadow. There is a hidden spot at the entrance. Bomb it to reveal a hole. In that hole are a few enemies, defeat them to get a chest with a high-value Rupees in it. Now the thing here that amazes me are the walls. They are unfinished. What I think was that this hidden room was left over from Ura Zelda. When you played Ocarina Of Time with the Ura Zelda Disc, the walls would be finished. But I must say that this hidden room is not the Sky Temple. Why? For two reasons. One, why would it be so easy to access? You could literally get bombs from Dodongo's Cavern, and go to the Sky Temple, completely screwing with the game. Shiek would appear and talk to child Link instead of Adult Link. The second reason is why would a "sky" temple be underground? It makes not sense to have below ground if it has the word "sky" in it. Anyways, here's two pictures of the hidden cave:
i0qWxY5.jpg
CqVg6z6.jpg
[Hey Lamentizer. Resize these pictures a little. Make them fit side by side.]
As you can see, the walls are not the same. Even the warp platform is different. I could be wrong about this and Nintendo could have just wanted a very unique looking room.

Most people think that Master Quest is in fact the long lost Ura Zelda. This is true and false at the same time. The only thing different about Master Quest and Ocarina are the dungeons. I think that the redesigned tougher dungeons in Master Quest are what Miyamoto originally wanted. So if you add up the dungeons, 3 child + 5 adult + the 2 mini-dungeons + ganon's castle, it equals 11 dungeons. That probably about 10% of Ura Zelda. Why? Well Ura Zelda was suppose to be almost double the size of Ocarina Of Time. So you who have played Master Quest, you've played a small percent of Ura Zelda.

Above I said that there was no Sky of Light temples in Ocarina Of Time. But they could have been in Ura Zelda. There are a few pictures out there that show two tunics that never made it into the N64 version. I believe that these tunics could have been found in these two dungeons.
[Hey Lamentizer, upload those pictures]

Also, it seems that there would have been an Ice Temple. We see evidence of this in Ganon's Castle. The Water Medallion trial rooms are more ice than water. We also have the Ice Cavern mini-dungeon. What I think was that an Ice Temple was in the original N64 DD version and was almost cut. But Miyamoto needed a way for player to still get the Iron Boots. So he cut out a good 75% of the temple and replaced the boss with a few Wolfos. Simple right?

Now I think that Majora's Mask actually has some of what Ura Zelda was suspose to have. Like I said above, the Sky and Light temples could have been in Ura Zelda. But what if they are in Majora's Mask instead? There was suppose to be a Light, Ice and Sky temple. What if the Snowhead Temple is the Ice Temple. What if the Light Temple is actually Stone Tower Temple in its normal layout, and the Sky Temple is actually Stone Tower Temple upside down? I'll explain my theories. In Stone Tower Temple, it seems that you use the light a lot. Whether it's from you're shield, or from the Light Arrows. And when Stone Tower is upside down, you get this AMAZING view of the sky from the entrance room. I think that originally in Ura Zelda, the Princess doesn't give you the Light Arrows, you get them from the Temple of Light (aka Stone Tower Temple normal version). But with the temple (Stone Tower Temple normal version) being cut, Miyamoto still wanted the Light Arrows to be in the game, so he decided that Zelda gives them to Link. Then when they made Majora's Mask, they took the cut Light Arrows idea and put it into the Stone Towers.

[Hey Lamentizer, add more research here]

My Full-Out Research

~ The Long-Short Story Of Development ~
Originally it was just adult Link. Child Link was not even considered as part of the story. Miyamoto said that the entire game was originally planned to take place only in Ganon's Castle. You would go through different door leading to different areas. When you beat a series of room, say the forest rooms, the barrier to the central tower would slightly be weakened. This idea was kept for the final version. You can tell how the game would have been if the original ideas were kept just by playing through Ganon's Castle. One could assume that you would have started the game with items like the Hookshot, Bow and Arrow, Shield, etc., or you would have found them within Ganon's Castle. Later, Miyamoto scrapped the "stay-in-one-place-for-the-entire-game" idea. He had a large Hyrule designed and he also created a fairy side-kick for Link. At the time the fairy had no name, it was just there to follow Link, it didn't even lock onto enemies. After some talk with the Zelda Team, Miyamoto decided that he wanted a back story. So child Link was born. He then decided that he needed a way for Link to start his journey. So the nameless fairy was given the name Navigator, but her name was later shortened to Navi. The Deku Tree was then chosen to be the starting dungeon. Then the Nintendo 64 Disk Drive was starting to loose sales. The game was then designed to fit the limits of a Nintendo 64 cartridge. So a lot was cut out. Lets take a deep look at what I've found.

~ Game Screen Development ~
The cool thing to note is the development of the game screen. Originally, only two items could be used. The sword and some other item. This idea was later reused in Four Swords. If you used the bow, then you would have to press both the A and B Buttons. Take notice at the items on the C Buttons in the picture of Link and Epona. This is discussed in the section called "Equipment\Status Items As C Button Items". (That section is not yet made) As you see, the first picture is the original with only two icons. The second picture shows the addition of the C Button icons, but the B Button has been deleted. The third picture shows that the B Button icon has returned and that the icons are basically set in place. The fourth picture shows the final version. A few changes have been made: the icon shading is a little darker and the C icons aren't as spaced out as the third version. The wallet icon has changed places once. Note that in the first picture, the wallet shows 0123. I assume that you could hold a total of 9999 Rupees. This was then changed, show in the next picture as 000. The third shows 00 because this shots would have been earlier in the game.
ApEVJmX.png
hlOrkwF.png
jGwzRhQ.png
i5ztdTE.png

First version \ Second version \ Third version \ Final version

~ Hyrule Market ~
With Ura Zelda being cancelled and redesigned for the N64, a ton of stuff was cut out. Hyrule Castle was originally much bigger, as seen by early still shots.
WzwWYUr.png
DYd6kM0.png
Ooursk1.png

A back alley of the Market, nighttime \ Link faces a wall \ upward angle shot of Link walking or running
[Hey Lamentizer, upload some more pictures]

~ Stalfos Rooms ~
Another area cut was a Stalfos battle room. I think that this room would have appeared in the Forest Temple, or maybe even Ganon's Castle - judging by the red carpet. The first one is one that I found online just the other day. The second one is from some footage. These pictures are of the same room, just from a different angle and picture quality.
ARqiOHG.jpg
RCK2PRY.jpg

[Hey Lamentizer, add more pictures here]

~ The Pedestal ~
The most famous Ura Zelda puzzle is the Jabu-Jabu Pedestal. It can be seen below. But to see it for yourself, just use a debug rom. But be careful, if you step on the pedestal, the game will freeze. It seems that originally, you would have had to stand on the pedestal and play a song, probably Zelda's Lullaby. Jabu-Jabu would then let you enter.
evBEsEg.png

Hey Lamentizer, add more pictures and research here]

~ [Title Yet To Come] ~
This is one of the big mysteries known to all of man (and woman). It's a red fountain. Don't confuse it with the Unicorn Fountain.
[Hey Lamentizer, add more research and pictures here]

eFvHsPS.png
zNLfmg3.png

If I remember correctly, the pattern in the wall in the first one matches the Ice Cavern. Hmmm... Maybe that is actually a picture from the long lost Ice Temple. But wait, isn't that room on the mini-map the same shape as a room in the Ice Cavern? Hmmm... A mystery this is, until I fully solve it.
Hey Lamentizer, split these two topic up]

~ Ganondorf's Castle ~
Here is one that left me hanging for at least a month. At first, I didn't know where this was, until I looked at the background. You see those towers? Yes, they are the tips of the towers of Ganondorf's Castle. And that gray behind those tips is the sky. Also, if you look at the gray\black pattern on the top, it matches the final version of the castle. I think that in Ura Zelda you could actually go outside the castle before you actually fought Ganondorf, or these shots could just to show off the graphics.
47GgXPh.png
50yTBxt.png

~ Death Mountain ~
Here's some shots of an unused or early Death Mountain. Stalfos are in this area as seen by one of these shots. I'm not sure where these shots would be located in Ocarina Of Time, but their fun to look at.
N7bughs.png
F6dq0m4.png
ApEVJmX.png
XZ9FaFV.png
NJxSiue.png

~ Forest Temple ~
One can assume that a few rooms were cut out or redesigned of each dungeon when it was reprogrammed for the N64 cartridge. This is a shot from the Forest Temple. From this picture, it looks like an early room where Link battles two Staflos. In the N64 version this room is round. In this shot, the room is a square.
ydknVZa.png

~ Lost Woods ~
Miyamoto wanted the Lost Woods to live up to their name. In Ura Zelda, you could actually get lost in the Lost Woods. These shot show that the Lost Woods appear to have no seen borders. But if you look carefully in the background of the second picture, it looks like a wall. So the Lost Woods was going to be way bigger and have lots of room to explore. It has lots of tree all over the place. Also, more than just a few forest-type enemies would roam the woods. Here we see Link battling a Big Poe. This design is a lot simpler looking. The simple design makes the Big Poe look friendly.
HAtDTcF.png
isS4SMW.png
kSTBSMl.png
nTqGWVI.png
JnZNX0T.png

~ Equipment\Status Items As C Button Items ~
[coming very soon]

~ Hyrule Castle ~
[coming soon]

~ Temple Of Time ~
[coming soon]

~ Kokiri Forest ~