• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild My thoughts on BOTW

I may be committing the cardinal sin here, but I do not think BOTW is that great of a Zelda title. I think Nintendo tried too hard to be different with this game. Don't get me wrong, some aspects of the game are truly incredible.... I love the amount of content and how open and alive the world is. It is genuinely fun to explore this huge version of Hyrule and get distracted while trying to get from point a to point b. The level of difficulty was also refreshing. I do have some major issues with this game though. For starters, I hate the weapons breaking mechanic, absolutely despise it. I guess it would be OK if the weapons weren't so ridiculously brittle, but virtually every weapon breaks within a battle or two. I get that Nintendo was trying to encourage players to experiment with a wide variety of weapons, but the weapons breaking forces you to do that. In a game that is supposed to be all about choice that is out of place. Also, I didn't like the whole guardian thing in the first footage we saw of the game back in 2014 and I still don't like it now. That goes double for the giant moving dungeons. That stuff just feels out of place in the Zelda universe in my opinion. The final boss was also a major let down for me. Lastly, I have always loved Zelda music and I didn't care for most of the tracks in this game. In my opinion, BOTW has the weakest soundtrack of any Zelda game I have played. This game had major flaws in my mind, but it did a lot of things right. It is no doubt a really good game overall, but I wouldn't say it comes close to being the best Zelda game ever or even the best since OOT. I give it an 8 out of 10.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Careful. You could start a flame war with those opinions!! :eek:

For what it's worth, I'm having my reservations about BotW as well. I haven't been able to play it, but I've been watching it closely and I cannot imagine myself having much - if any - fun playing it. I don't think "being different" is BotW's sin. I think being bland is BotW's issue. Far from considering BotW a festering pile, I might say it's serviceable at best.

It may be that ninty was trying to ape too many opin warld!! games without understanding how to do so. As I feared, it's like they read from the Ubisuck Textbook of Opin Warld!! Game Design. BotW feels like a puddle to me instead of a deep ocean, and without much heart or soul to speak of at that.

I can't be too hard on it, considering I haven't played it myself. But neither have I been given any reason to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom