• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My theory's on Majora's mask

Ok. So This is going to get deep. I have a conclusion about the masks in Majora's mask. I believe that each mask contains the spirit of something, or contains powerful emotions. Today I am going to go over the Spirits that I think are contained within each mask. (warning: Some of these masks I cannot explain, and some do not fit.)

1. The Deku mask: Their already has been some theory on this, but I still like to point it out. I think the spirit in the mask is the Deku butlers son. This is proved by many things. when Majora is transforming link, link later finds nearby a shriveled deku scrub. Hm. later in the game when you meet said butler, and he races you. after the race He explains what happened to his son. It was about how his son left exploring and never came back. Later after you finish the game, it shows the butler crying at the feet of the shriveled deku scrub. Witch shows that when majora was transforming you, he stole the soul of a nearby creature. the butler's son. (dun dun dunnn)

2. The Goron mask: This one is easy. it contains the spirit of a goron warrior.

3. The Zora mask: again this is a easy one. this mask contains the spirit of a zora guitarist

4. Fierce deity mask: This I believe contains the spirit of a long lost deity. A fierce one at that

5. The Giants mask: I believe that this contains the spirit of one of the giants. I don't mean one of the 4 giants was turned into a mask, but I think that their might have been a 5th giant, and because of his evil, he might have been turned into a mask.

6. All night mask: This mask contains a emotion I believe. I believe the emotion is nervousness. So much that people cannot fall asleep.

7. Mask of truth: I believe that this mask Still has the curse that cursed the man into a spider. I believe since the spider is a animal, he can talk to animals, so when wearing the mask, you gain the status of animal, witch allows you to talk to animals.

8. Kamaro's mask: This contains the spirit of Kamaro, the legendary dancer. when you don this mask, you gain his experience, witch allows you to dance! Boogie time!

9. Bremen mask: This Mask contains the leadership of a little dog.

10. Romani's mask: This mask contains maturity

11. Bunny hood: This mask contains the energy of youth

12. Gibdo mask: this mask contains the curse that made the music box man turn into a gibdo

13. The Couple's mask: This Mask contains the everlasting love of a couple.

14. Garo's mask: this contains the Spirit of a Garo master.

15. Stone mask: This contains the loneliness of a soldier, and gives you the ability to not be noticed.

16. Keaton Mask: this contains the spirit of a lonely Keaton, Who calls out to his brothers witch summons keatons.

17. The great fairy mask: This mask contains the compassion of the great fairy, witch attracts fairy's to you.

the Exceptions:

1. Bomb Mask: This mask I think is more Mechanism than magic.

2. Don gero mask: This is a mystery to me.

3. Post mans hat; I believe that this is simply just a mark that you are the postman.

4. Troupe Leaders mask: I don't understand this mask.

5. mask of scents: I don't understand this mask either

6. Kafei's mask: just resembles Kafei and makes people talk to you about him.

7. captains hat: Just simply marks that you are the captain.

remember, I just did this for fun, so If you have your own theories or just want to talk about mine, post down bellow!

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Most the Masks you Obtain have the Spirit of a being inside some have the soul instead, the transformation masks in particular are "ensouled" with their respective species, it's commonly thought that the Butler's son was killed by the Skull Kid and his soul used to curse Link, Darmani's soul resides in the Goron Mask thanks to the Song of Healing and a promise to save his people the same is true of Mikau, the Fierce Deity is as it's name says a god is trapped inside and is considered to be Majora's Counterpoint.

The only Masks that don't seem to have a spirit in are, Kafei's, Troupe Leaders, Postmans, Bomb Mask and possibly Mask of Scents. I'd personally put Keatons in this list as well, it always seemed to me to be a clever production of a keatons face and so they think you are one of em til they see no tail.

Captain's Hat i believe has Captain Keeta Spirit inside, and even Igos Du Ikana thinks you are him with that mask on.
Don Gero's Mask has the spirit of Don Gero, conductor of the frog choir, it is even shaped as a frog and you are believed to be he by they.

Bomb Mask holds a somewhat strange spot for me, while it's clearly NOT spiritual at all more mechanical it doesn't explain how it self replenishes for the next explosion, it could be possible it's been charged by a pyrotechnists passion for his work or his spirit.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Most the Masks you Obtain have the Spirit of a being inside some have the soul instead, the transformation masks in particular are "ensouled" with their respective species, it's commonly thought that the Butler's son was killed by the Skull Kid and his soul used to curse Link, Darmani's soul resides in the Goron Mask thanks to the Song of Healing and a promise to save his people the same is true of Mikau, the Fierce Deity is as it's name says a god is trapped inside and is considered to be Majora's Counterpoint.

The only Masks that don't seem to have a spirit in are, Kafei's, Troupe Leaders, Postmans, Bomb Mask and possibly Mask of Scents. I'd personally put Keatons in this list as well, it always seemed to me to be a clever production of a keatons face and so they think you are one of em til they see no tail.

Captain's Hat i believe has Captain Keeta Spirit inside, and even Igos Du Ikana thinks you are him with that mask on.
Don Gero's Mask has the spirit of Don Gero, conductor of the frog choir, it is even shaped as a frog and you are believed to be he by they.

Bomb Mask holds a somewhat strange spot for me, while it's clearly NOT spiritual at all more mechanical it doesn't explain how it self replenishes for the next explosion, it could be possible it's been charged by a pyrotechnists passion for his work or his spirit.
I always thought of it like the masks that don't have a spirit attached to them still have strong emotions tied to them, like the Couples Mask, or Kamora's Mask. If I recall correctly, if you wear each non transformation mask to the Happy Mask Salesman, he will comment on each one and interpret the emotions behind them.

That doesn't rule out the possibility of spirits being associated with those masks, though. Afterall, emotional bonds are usually the driving factor of delving into the occult, and items with emotional attachment are typically a boon to make spiritual contact in certain beliefs.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I always thought of it like the masks that don't have a spirit attached to them still have strong emotions tied to them, like the Couples Mask, or Kamora's Mask. If I recall correctly, if you wear each non transformation mask to the Happy Mask Salesman, he will comment on each one and interpret the emotions behind them.

That doesn't rule out the possibility of spirits being associated with those masks, though. Afterall, emotional bonds are usually the driving factor of delving into the occult, and items with emotional attachment are typically a boon to make spiritual contact in certain beliefs.

Spirit and Emotion is generally interchangeable for me in regards to those masks. Mostly due to the fact both are part of the theme of the game

If you're willing to entertain the possibilty of a crossover I have an idea for the bomb mask. You see in Link's Awakening we have the only iteration to my knowledge of Mario characters/enemies appearing in a main stream Zelda game (most importantly we have the bombite). If you go with the assumption that Link's dream and wherever Termina is aren't to far off from each other (also that Link's dream is a representaion of things he's seen in real life or a real world within the Zelda world albeit a dreamworld), then what's to stop us from theorising that the Blast/Bomb mask is just the spirit/soul of a bombite.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
If i remember correctly, the spirit of the fierce diety mask is the hero who was supposed to fight against majora and save the ancient tribes.

Unless you've got a source for that i'm gonna go with a hard no there, sounds like headcanon, bear in mind the MM Manga (think it's them) have Majora as a beast that died from 3 days of dancing and a mask carved from it's armor.

If you're willing to entertain the possibilty of a crossover I have an idea for the bomb mask. You see in Link's Awakening we have the only iteration to my knowledge of Mario characters/enemies appearing in a main stream Zelda game (most importantly we have the bombite). If you go with the assumption that Link's dream and wherever Termina is aren't to far off from each other (also that Link's dream is a representaion of things he's seen in real life or a real world within the Zelda world albeit a dreamworld), then what's to stop us from theorising that the Blast/Bomb mask is just the spirit/soul of a bombite.

OOT has various Mario Cameos, such as in Hyrule Castle, the portraits in the garden or a literal Bowser Broach on Malon, i also think Inigo and Malons father are references to Mario characters. Main thing is, you can't really base squat off the mario cameos as it was just asset re-using when the games were fairly similar in design (creature design) theres a creature based off kirby in level seven.

Unless you've got a source for that i'm gonna go with a hard no there, sounds like headcanon, bear in mind the MM Manga (think it's them) have Majora as a beast that died from 3 days of dancing and a mask carved from it's armor.

OOT has various Mario Cameos, such as in Hyrule Castle, the portraits in the garden or a literal Bowser Broach on Malon, i also think Inigo and Malons father are references to Mario characters. Main thing is, you can't really base squat off the mario cameos as it was just asset re-using when the games were fairly similar in design (creature design) theres a creature based off kirby in level seven.
Sorry by Mario iteration I meant more than the easter eggs that show up throughout Hyrule and was focused solely on what can be called cannon. Yes, the sprites used in Link's Awakening were just rehashed Mario sprites as were MM's from OOT's. However, most would agree that once done it's become cannon and part of the Zelda universe. Even more so this should be true with the remake of LA where the sprites themselves were completely remade in glorious HD. Anyway, you're right about the use of crossover that it seems to go to far and is baseless (albeit not necessarily outright wrong) so yes what I mean to say is that it could be that a Bombite is not limited to LA and could be what we're looking at in MM as the bomb/blast mask.
PS. I don't believe that Kirby is of the same cut as Mario if I remember correctly

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Alright, now that I got the editorial out for the frontpage. My take is that Majora's Mask is a solar deity, and that would make Fierce Deity's Mask a Lunar god. There is enough symbolism associated with these makes to support this theory, and it makes perfect sense considering the game's focus on nature.

If you want to read more in depth: https://zeldadungeon.net/forum/thre...ds-and-the-duality-of-the-sun-and-moon.67880/

areasell

Twilight Princess Master
6. All night mask: This mask contains a emotion I believe. I believe the emotion is nervousness. So much that people cannot fall asleep.
I actually believe it contains an emotion like anxiety. I think I read somewhere that the mask burns your eyes if you close them or something, so maybe that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom