• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My Theory on What Termina REALLY Is.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
i think it may be a dream but not about link discovering himself but while he is caught in stasis coz mm happened before tp meaning link must have some how aged so i think mm happened as a dream and during it he forgets abvout his life before

SUPER DECODING POWERS ACTIVATE: "I think it may be a dream, but not about link discovering himself, but it must have happened while Link is in estasis, my reasoning is that since MM happened before TP Link must have somehow aged, so I think MM is a dream and during it he forgot about his past life"

There a a few things wrong with this post, first, the grammar, second, The whole post bases on the asumption that OoT-MM Link is the same as TP link, they are not the same, sorry, third, in the child timeline Link never had an estasis, Lastly, "link must have somehow aged", but he couldn't have, you know, aged naturally?

magiclink

Shinigami
I think it was just link surching for Navi hasent anybody heard that noise you here when a fairy flies past you after the introduction in the beggining when it says "a friend of whom has been by his side on the journey" <-- or somthing like that
but hey whatever...

A very good theory, if I do say so myself. Someone's mentioning of Phantom Hourglass got me thinking, however. The ending of Phantom Hourglass is of Link and Tetra waking up ten minutes after the events of the game. Right before they wake up, they meet the Ocean King, a large whale.

Now, let's look at Link's Awakening. After the events, Link wakes up to find himself on his raft, which is supposed to be destroyed. He meets the Windfish, a large whale.

Since Termina is Hyrule's counterpart, and there is almost a doppelganger for everyone (excluding Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, but you can prove me wrong), then what about Lord Jabu-Jabu? He is a large fish, possibly a whale. Maybe he is has a counterpart in Termina we do not know of.

Coincidence? Maybe. Possibility? Definitely.

It is possible that there are three timelines, one for each Zelda "category" (Child timeline- SS, Oot, MM, TP [the more serious]/Adult timeline- WW, ST, PH [the more comical]/Other timeline- MC, FS, FSA [the more cartoonish]). For the child timeline, the "dream" could have been Majora's Mask. For the adult timeline, Phantom Hourglass. For the other timeline, it could be Link's Awakening.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
It is possible that there are three timelines, one for each Zelda "category" (Child timeline- SS, Oot, MM, TP [the more serious]/Adult timeline- WW, ST, PH [the more comical]/Other timeline- MC, FS, FSA [the more cartoonish]). For the child timeline, the "dream" could have been Majora's Mask. For the adult timeline, Phantom Hourglass. For the other timeline, it could be Link's Awakening.

Actually, Skyward Sword, Minish Cap, Four Swords and Ocarina of Time aren't in any of the split timelines, they are the root of all three splits, and Four Swords Adventures is in the Child Timeline.

Chameleon

Down for maintenance.
That would also explain the appearance of familiar OOT characters in Termina too.

That would also explain the appearance of familiar OOT characters in Termina too.

Nah, the familiar OoT characters were simply reused to save time and resources; Majora's Mask was made within a year's time, far less than it takes to make the typical, 3D Zelda game. Nintendo thought it'd be a good idea to come up with a reason behind the similar characters, and what they came up with is the concept of Termina being an alternate dimension entirely separated from Hyrule. Some fans consider this to be a "copped-out" idea, but it makes sense to me, especially considering the time constraints they must have been under and other various factors. I don't do this often, but I can assure you that there's nothing more to the similar characters than that.

It is worth noting that MM is an offshoot of an early idea of the Hero of Time continuing on [what's considered to be] a series of side-journeys. The name of this title, Zelda Gaiden, became what is known as Majora's Mask.

Wikipedia said:
Gaiden (外伝?, pronounced [ɡaideɴ])[1] is a Japanese-language word meaning "side story" or "tale", used to refer to an anecdote or supplementary biography of a person. The use of gaiden is commonly used in popular Japanese fiction to refer to a spin-off (canonical or otherwise) of a previously published work that is neither officially considered a sequel nor a prequel.

[...]The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask was called Zelda Gaiden in its development stages.

My biggest problem in this theory is that you say he goes to termina to discover his true self after switching between different forms, but what about the transformation masks?

Danigo92498

Someone You Met Online
Very interesting idea. This is my theory:
In Oot, Link defeats Ganon and Navi leaves him. In MM(and WW-I think), it says Link went to search for a friend(obviously Navi). And in MM, it opens with a scene of Link in the woods(perhaps the lost woods). That was followed by meting the skull kid and ending up in Clock Town (Termina). I always figured thats what happened: Link goes on a different path in the Lost Woods and ended up in Termina bescause the Lost Woods is a mystical place considering the way you'll turn into a stalfos if you get lost and a wrong turn makes you go back to the entrance(I think that's just a game mechanic so scratch that). And all the masks powers are just the Lost Woods magic. That's all I have to say, but that was amazing, I never thought of it that way.

Chameleon

Down for maintenance.
Nah, the familiar OoT characters were simply reused to save time and resources; Majora's Mask was made within a year's time, far less than it takes to make the typical, 3D Zelda game. Nintendo thought it'd be a good idea to come up with a reason behind the similar characters, and what they came up with is the concept of Termina being an alternate dimension entirely separated from Hyrule. Some fans consider this to be a "copped-out" idea, but it makes sense to me, especially considering the time constraints they must have been under and other various factors. I don't do this often, but I can assure you that there's nothing more to the similar characters than that.

I know that. But this theory could perfectly be another non-development answer to that.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
My biggest problem in this theory is that you say he goes to termina to discover his true self after switching between different forms, but what about the transformation masks?

That's his point. The masks were used to deal with the different things. Link's mind basically created some masks that had absolutely nothing to do with dealing with internal turmoil because it needed an ultimate goal and a way to solve this. So each mask is simply a way to overcome an obstacle. These obstacles are what separates Link from facing his ultimate challenge to end his inner struggle, Majora.

I came up with just a Lost Woods based parallel universe theory. It's simple and makes a lot of sense. I like this one too but it does seem a little implausible based on the date it was released in relation to OoT. I like the idea all the same and think that it is possible to prove it.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
How does ↑ serve to disprove the OP's theory?

Anyway... Finding Navi was Link's main objective, but him being sidetracked didn't interfere with that objective. It is hinted that he continued on his search for her after his quest wrapped up, but, in Nintendo fashion, the details behind this were left incredibly vague. You are right, however, that Majora's Mask is a sidequest, as it was originally to be called Zelda Gaiden. The word "gaiden" roughly translates to "sidestory."

It wasn't trying to disprove anything, just note that the game isn't a quest and is something that happens on his quest. If anything, it could help the dream idea, which I'm actually liking a little less as I play the game again

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom