• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My Theory on What Termina REALLY Is.

I

Ironknuckle

well the ocarina of time governs and controls time in hyrule, if termina is a parallel world this means it resides in an alternate universe. it wasn't created for use in termina and as for zants power it came from gannondorf who holds the triforce of power.

FosterTheNation

The Better of The Best
Well as you may know, there was supposedly another Majora's Mask that was a prequel. Either it was never released at all, only released in Japan, or never existed at all. I don't know if it existed or not but if it did that probably has some answers to your question because the game was supposedly about "Fierce Diety" or "Oni" or whatever you wanna call him and Majora's Mask. Pretty much a big war.

Dropping that theory, I think your theory could be true. MM is the only time we ever see or hear of Termina, a lot of characters are very similar to those in OoT, and if you let the moon crash then Link is the last one standing and the game just restarts as if you were to die during a dream. But I don't know, and no one may ever know. All that matters is that the game was awesome.

i dont think it did. koume and kotake come back to life? and theyre nice? they did say ill come back to haunt you. no thats not them.

So I heard that Termina was all in Link's head. That would explain why it was all the same characters as in Hyrule and everything was so eerie and fake.
To me the whole game was Link trying to deal with the fact that he's going to turn into a Stalfos, and dealing with the fact that his time is limited.
What do you guys think? Was Termina real, or a figment of Link's imagination?

Termina is 100% real. It has been confirmed countless times by Nintendo that it is a parallel dimension, nothing more. The character models featured in the game were reused due to time constraints; Majora's Mask was made in roughly a year's time - in much less time than it takes to make the average [3D] Zelda title. If anything, MM is in no way a dream; Nintendo already went the "it was all a dream" route with Link's Awakening. It really isn't Nintendo's style to completely reuse such a generally overused concept, especially when there is already a game in the series whose plot centered around it.

Also, the Hero of Time (HoT) [Link] is not a Stalfos. There is absolutely NO CONFIRMATION of this; at this point, it's nothing more than a theory that sprang from the "supposed" similarities between the Gilded Sword and the Mirror Shield and Hero's Shade's [HS] sword and shield, respectively. If you are referring to the skeletal appearance of the HS, then, I'll have you know that it is likely nothing more than a alternate form, and it is more probable that the Golden Wolf is his true spiritual form (makes sense, considering it falls in line with TP Link becoming a wolf under the twilight veil). Infer to the fact that the wolf form is a reflection of TP Link's "spirit."

Another explanation for the HS' appearance could be that sometime after his [HoT's] death, his body began to decay, leaving nothing but skeletal remains behind. From there, it is safe to assume that he died wearing the armor seen in Twilight Princess; the peculiar similarities to the armor worn by the spirits of the Hylian Knights in Hyrule Castle graveyard might serve as a testament to this. However, I myself am a proponent to the popular theory that his skeletal appearance is simply an arbitrary form that he assumes to face TP Link in combat to make things "easier", per se. In any case, he's NOT a Stalfos...

•Link, the Hero of Time’s Descendent

The first time Link sets foot in the Twilight, the crest of the Triforce of Courage on the back of his hand shines and he takes on a beastly form. When he returns to human form, he is garbed in the clothes said to be worn by the hero. The ghost of his ancestor, the Hero of Time, teaches him secrets. Ever since returning to the child era, the Hero of Time had felt regret that he could not be remembered as a hero. Therefore, he addresses Link as his son and passes down the proof of courage and his secrets.

Source: Pg. 118 Princess Zelda’s Revival & Ganon’s Suppression

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
well the ocarina of time governs and controls time in hyrule, if termina is a parallel world this means it resides in an alternate universe. it wasn't created for use in termina and as for zants power it came from gannondorf who holds the triforce of power.

Mind sharing the source of that?

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
I just can't see how he's skeletal, he is a shade, the only skeletal part is the face

i dont think it did. koume and kotake come back to life? and theyre nice? they did say ill come back to haunt you. no thats not them.

Those are just alternate dimension Twinrova with different personalities, it makes more sense than the dream thing, why would link's mind project them in a friendly way, when they tried to burnifreeze him?

Cfrock

Keep it strong

Well then why would the Triforce of Power retain its abilities in the Twilight Realm then?
The Ocarina's powers are not part of Hyrule, they are part of the Ocarina. It doesn't matter where it is, it will still have those powers.

I

Ironknuckle

Because the Twilight realm is still connected to hyrule and was created by the sages of hyrule. as for the ocarina,even if the power resides within itself, it was still created for use in hyrule not a parallel world.See a parallel world is the same world as hyrule only in an alternate universe. Anyway what's wrong with termina being in the same world as hyrule i don't understand why it has to be in an alternate universe.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Because the Twilight realm is still connected to hyrule and was created by the sages of hyrule. as for the ocarina,even if the power resides within itself, it was still created for use in hyrule not a parallel world.See a parallel world is the same world as hyrule only in an alternate universe. Anyway what's wrong with termina being in the same world as hyrule i don't understand why it has to be in an alternate universe.

Nowhere does it say the Sages created the Twilight Realm and there is nothing given in the games or extended media to suggest the Ocarina only has power in Hyrule. If you could provide a source for either of these claims I'd be happy to check it out but I doubt you will find any. Also, Termina is connected to Hyrule (via a portal, the same as the Twilight Realm no less) so powers working in one world but not the other applies just as equally to Twilight Princess. The events of Majora's Mask contradict your claim the Ocarina only works in Hyrule.

There are an innumerable number of issues that are created by the notion Termina is another 'country' or is otherwise geographically connected to Hyrule, most of which have been discussed in this thread with no one being able to provide an answer for. The game's manual states Termina is a parallel world, developer interviews have confirmed this and it says it in Hyrule Historia as well. It is beyond theory; it is absoloute, 100% confirmed, solid fact.

I'm sorry to sound so vehemently against what you're saying but there's simply no evidence to support it and it contradicts what we already know for certain.

W

Wind Waker

OK, to copy a lot of people..MIND BLOWING...Strange...and wow. I suppose it could be like that, but to me...It's just a alternate dimension that Link stumbled upon by following the Skull Kid once he mugged Link. And that's really deep there.

iMadMax

Zelda Masta
damn dude i never thought of that. It makes a lot sense, especially the part with Kafei who gets turned into a child. I think i can speak for everyone and say MIND BLOWN

MM was a product of surrealism and whenever a surrealist work is created it always shares a symbiosis with minds connected with it. Surrealism is deeply routed in the subconscious. I can't remember who it was but it was probably Miyamoto or Anouma who said that the moon came to him in a dream to begin with. Its very easy to link all of these Freudian and Lacanian features to MM because MM wasn't anything other than a myriad of straight-out-of-the-unconscious-mind story affair. I think MM is the most removed Zelda in terms of its conception, in some ways it isn't even a Zelda game but a game based on the legacy of Zelda itself.

Try describing MM to someone who has never played it or heard of it but has played OoT, it'll sound to them like someone's mental dream, but NOT Link's.

What i love most about MM, is that all of the odd ideas that were designed from the game weren't given a reason, and weren't made to make sense, they somehow kept their surrealism intact from mind to paper to game. =] Believe what Nintendo say about Termina, and read this theory and others like it into MM itself but don't apply it to Link, apply it to the people who created it.

Last edited:
I had always had a theory that it was what Link was dreaming about in the beginning of OOT. But yours make a lot more sense Jesse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom