• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My Theory on What Termina REALLY Is.

Thinking about connections between OoT-Termina and TP-Termina.

Quote from other thread that DOES have to do with this.

-

my friend kevin of gengames.net mentioned a sequel to twilight princess. Tp was basically a gamecube version of OoT but made more maturely. OoT had sequel that had a very dark and mature"ish" story. TP TRIED to be dark. so imagine a TP sequel based off of MM and Termina and it has a BETTER / DARK story and is teen rated as well. Think of it this way.

Ocarina of Time - Link gains a random friend who he has never met before and is thrown into an adventure to save the world. Ganondorf tries taking over Hyrule. Link kills ganondorf. Link some how loses a friend. Link goes to woods to find said friend.

Twilight Princess - Link gains a random friend who he has never met before and is thrown into an adventure to save the world. Ganondorf tries taking over Hyrule. Link kills ganondorf. Link some how loses a friend. Whose to say after killing ganondorf link didn't go to the woods and didn't stumble upon Termina 100 years after OoT and MM just like Tp is Hyrule after 100 years.

Also going from adult to kid to adult to kid, being woke up from a nightmare to save the world, experiencing everything link went through in OoT. He didn't go to the woods to find a friend, but left Hyrule to discover and find himself and figure out who he was. after time traveling to being and living as an adult and saving people you will never even see, whose tosay he wasn't confused as to who he really was.

Same goes for TP, whose to say after all he went through from being a wolf to human to wolf to human, going to different realms and back again. Link in TP had to leave by himself to discover himself.

-

-

THE THEORY

-

-

Maybe Termina isn't really a land neighboring Hyrule. Maybe it's a place Link CREATED while discovering himself. Dealing with all the DARKNESS and figuring out WHO he was driving him CRAZY and causing him SELF DESTRUCT on himself.

All the masks in Termina could be all the emotions link is going through. putting them on cuz he doesn't know who he really is and all the emotions from everyone in termina are really reflections of his own fealings that he is dealing with and helping everyone there is really him helping himself deal with his own problems.

Kafie was turned into a kid after finding the woman he loved. this could be link dealing with falling in love with Zelda as a kid and meeting her again and saving her and the meaningful convo he had with her at the end of OoT. He fell in love with her as an adult and was sent back to being a child. coincidence?

The moon crashing down on Termina could be link causing himself to self destruct. The skull kid could be his "split crazy personality manifesting itself in a dream or something" By now if you knew where im going with this than you will be able to find your own connections. If you can't than going on would be senseless. Let me know some more connections you can come up with. Maybe we came up with the same things?

Ps. Mutiny - CakeBoss - Blabla :)

GoldenGengle64

A v ^ A v ^
WHoooaaaaaAAA! Nice theory! Personally, I've always viewed Termina and the whole Majora's Mask storyline as a dream Link is having based upon his Ocarina of Time adventures (occurring soon after the OoT ending, where Link is a child again). That aside, however, I really like the mask theory, and can definitely see that happening since MM is a deeper, more thought-provoking game compared to other Zelda titles. When you say "self-destuct", do you mean losing sanity or being suicidal or something else?

Your theory on the true meaning of Termina is definitely very similar to mine. Link created the Termina world within himself - exploring it is like exploring his inner psyche. That's why nearly every character in the game appears in Hyrule as well as Termina. The most blaring exception to this rule, of course, is Kafei, who I think acts as a foil to Hyrulian Link and shows what he could have become had he succumbed to the power of the Triforce and become overly full of himself. I like your idea of becoming a child following his falling in love with an older female figure, however. That's a connection I never made before. :)

That being said! The idea of a sequel to Twilight Princess in the dark style of Majora's Mask is very appealing to me. My only problem would be that unlike Ocarina of Time, we know exactly where Midna ended up at the end of the game (back in the Twilight Realm). Navi, on the other hand, wordlessly floated out of a window, never to be heard from again. The quest that Link would depart upon to find his lost companion, as well as himself, would likely not have as clean of a transition between games because of this. You would have to cut out the entire concept of "finding his friend" in favor of a more strictly self destructive approach.

Overall, a good theory, and an awesome idea for another sequel within Zelda. :)

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
MIND.BLOWN.

Wow. I- wow. Just wow.

Same here! O.O

That's.... really deep....

Do you think Nintendo intended that?
But yeah, I can really see that happening...

Also.... how is it, that when you beat the game of MM, that the Happy Mask Salesman just- disappears into thin air?
(I always thought that was just how the decided to animate him leaving, but that does sound "dreamyish" to me now that I think about it)

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Majora's mask was always an odd game and I never really thought of termina much. This is actually a pretty intetesting theory. I'm playing through the game again right now

Although one thing is missing. What happened to Saria. Surely if this was made in link's mind, Saria would be there.

Last edited:

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
I will just go for the alternate dimension "canon" explanation, I just don't see myself fighting in Link's mind, Majora's mask is a game about hope, friendship, trust and struggle, I agree it was Link's personal journey of discovery, but not inside his mind in any way.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Says the girl two people above me who wants the moon to destroy termina, but that's really deep stuff, never actually thought of it that way.
Are you referring to me? o_O
I never said I wanted the moon to crash! O:

My signature is just for laughs xD

I will just go for the alternate dimension "canon" explanation, I just don't see myself fighting in Link's mind, Majora's mask is a game about hope, friendship, trust and struggle, I agree it was Link's personal journey of discovery, but not inside his mind in any way.

I agree. It's an interesting theory but to me I actually think it would cheapen the story a bit. What makes MM special is the characters. As said here it's a story of hope, friendship and struggles as told through the many colorful and unique characters that inhabit the world. By making these people just figments of Link's mind we take away from their individuality and story in my opinion. What makes MM so great and enduring are those characters, and Link is himself is just one part of that tapestry.

I think that if it all is in link's mind than it makes the story even more deeper. Whose to say it is NOT real? Was Link's Awakening or Phantom Hourglass real? If its real to him that is all that matters. It doesn't take away the fact that he helped all those poor souls. He came to grip with himself and conquered himself. I think it is an excellent explanation.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Maybe Termina isn't really a land neighboring Hyrule. Maybe it's a place Link CREATED while discovering himself. Dealing with all the DARKNESS and figuring out WHO he was driving him CRAZY and causing him SELF DESTRUCT on himself

The idea that Majora's Mask was a kind of dream or vision is a fairly old theory. One thing used to suggest this is the fact that at the end, Link is in the exact same situation as he was at the start, just like with Link's Awakening.

It's still a nice theory but I personally don't agree with it. It's like Seth said:

What makes MM special is the characters... the many colorful and unique characters that inhabit the world.

If those characters didn't exist and were just machinations of Link's psyche, that would take so much away from the story for me.

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
If this is true someone needs to get Link a straightjacket. I am still undecided on what Termina is. I am VERY reluctant to believe that it is an alternate dimension. However, this thoery is possible. If I had to go into the world at age 9 and face death and destruction everywhere while I was forced to kill everything that came near me... I would go crazy too.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
To be honest, now that I've thought about it for a few more minutes, the idea of Majora's Mask being Link's journey of self discovery makes less sense to me, considering he didn't actually learn anything from his adventure. Let me explain.

A major theme of Majora's Mask is friendship and seperation. Aside from the main story of the Skull Kid lashing out because he felt abandoned by his best friends the Giants, virtually every single character is seperated from a someone or something in some way. Here's a list:

-Anju and Kafei - Seperated by fear
-Koume and Kotake - Koume is lost in the woods
-Romani Ranch - The whole area is blocked from the rest of Termina, stopping business
-Clock Town Officials - The Guards and Carpenters are at odds about what to do regarding the Moon
-Pamela and her father - Pamela had to lock her father in a wardrobe and hide from the world
-The Deku King - His daughter is lost
-The Monkeys - One of them has been imprisoned and the others are trying to save him
-The Indigo-Gos - Lulu has her eggs stolen by pirates
-The Goron Elder - He is seperated from his inconsolable son
-The Great Fairies - Literally seperated into pieces
-Link and Epona - This seperation happens right at the very beginning of the game
-Tatl and Tael - Again, a seperation from the very beginning
-The Bomb Shop - Has his stock stolen
-The Hand in the toilet - Seperated from something to wipe with
-Gorman - Regrets leaving his brothers on the ranch
-Tingle and his father - Tingle's father is ashamed of his son's eccentricities
-Madame Aroma - Is worried about where her son has gone
-Shiro - Totally invisible to the world due to the Stone Mask

All of these situations are resolved by Link. He spends his time in Termina bringing these people back together; reuniting broken families, bringing old friends together and even just opening roads to reconnect the world. In this way, you could say Link learnt a valuable lesson about friendship but that's not true. Link didn't need to learn anything and instead it was him helping Termina discover itself.
The very first thing we see in the game is a bit of text explaining that Link is searching for an important friend. We know this friend is Navi and this shows us Link already understands the importance of friendship and togetherness. Throughout the game, he helps the inhabitants of Termina understand this as well, in big ways like reuniting the Giants, and in small ways, like reminding Gorman why he got into show business. Link leaves an indelible impression on Termina, not the other way around.

At least, that's the way I see it. I don't think it was a 'journey of self discovery'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom