• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild My Theories - Regarding Timeline Placement and the Protag's Identity

Megamannt125

Blue Link
1. Link's origin - Zelda had Hylia, and Ganondorf had Demise. They are technically separate characters, but were caused because of that deity. SS Prequel.
2. WW Link's origin - WW Link was said to have no connection to the past hero, Adult Timeline had no Link during the great flood, meaning this person would be some new hero trying to save the land. Notice the shirt. WW Prequel.
3. Hero of Men - No hat, Hero of Men could've never been Link at all. U Protag has their hair in a ponytail, when undone it could look similar to the Hero of Men's long hair. Minish Cap Prequel.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think you're looking a bit to deep into this. For example, no hat automatically default to it being a Minish Cap sequel;however Link usually starts without his famous green garbs. Twilight Princess being an example, Link during the first section of the game is wearing casual clothing, which is the style of the Ordonians.

The whole Wind Waker prequel kind of erks me as well. As far as we know, Link from TWW is the first hero to pop up in that Timeline. In fact, even though it isn't explicitly stated, we can put together some concrete evidence to prove it. If this was a prequel to The Wind Waker then it isn't Link - the figure seen is clearly Link despite some slight differences. Also where's the flood [Great Sea]?

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I think you're looking a bit to deep into this. For example, no hat automatically default to it being a Minish Cap sequel;however Link usually starts without his famous green garbs. Twilight Princess being an example, Link during the first section of the game is wearing casual clothing, which is the style of the Ordonians.

The whole Wind Waker prequel kind of erks me as well. As far as we know, Link from TWW is the first hero to pop up in that Timeline. In fact, even though it isn't explicitly stated, we can put together some concrete evidence to prove it. If this was a prequel to The Wind Waker then it isn't Link - the figure seen is clearly Link despite some slight differences. Also where's the flood [Great Sea]?

Aonuma confirmed that this blue garbed character isn't Link

Aonuma: No one explicitly said that that was Link.

I agree with Megamannt125 theories. More in particular theory number 1 that this new character could be the official game canon version of Hylia's Hero.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Aonuma confirmed that this blue garbed character isn't Link

This isn't confirmation in any way shape or form. A confirmation is a statement where there is no doubt; it's 100% true. I'll give an example:

"This character seen is not Link" — Aonuma

See the difference? That's a complete confirmation, what Aonuma said wasn't. He basically addressed that they didn't confirm it was Link, which is were the seed of doubt is placed in fan's minds. He didn't confirm it wasn't Link, what he did in actual fact was not confirm that it was Link. Usually we're so ahead of the game that we know what's coming, we expect Link to appear as it's pretty much a given, Aonuma is saying "hang on, why so sure that it's Link, Nintendo fans?".

Aonuma is raising a question for the fanbase to discuss. It's rather clever really, this is going to get people talking, theorising, speculating, about the game even though only 30-40 seconds of footage was shown.

VitaTempusN92

This isn't confirmation in any way shape or form. A confirmation is a statement where there is no doubt; it's 100% true. I'll give an example:

"This character seen is not Link" — Aonuma

See the difference? That's a complete confirmation, what Aonuma said wasn't. He basically addressed that they didn't confirm it was Link, which is were the seed of doubt is placed in fan's minds. He didn't confirm it wasn't Link, what he did in actual fact was not confirm that it was Link. Usually we're so ahead of the game that we know what's coming, we expect Link to appear as it's pretty much a given, Aonuma is saying "hang on, why so sure that it's Link, Nintendo fans?".

Aonuma is raising a question for the fanbase to discuss. It's rather clever really, this is going to get people talking, theorising, speculating, about the game even though only 30-40 seconds of footage was shown.

What part of this:

Aonuma: No one explicitly said that that was Link.

don't you understand? Aonuma said that in reply to this question:

That trailer for the new Legend of Zelda for the Wii U sure looked great, didn’t it? But what was up with Link? He wasn’t wearing his iconic green tunic or hat. Why did Link look so weird?

You see what I'm getting at here?

The point is he is clearly suggesting that the new character is NOT Link, at least NOT the traditional kind of Link that we know of. That's why I say that this new character might be the reason why Link exists. Basically a predecessor to Link. Also look back at the horse that Pre-Link rides in the trailer:

ZeldaRWT_medium.jpg

Notice how that horse doesn't resemble Epona at all whatsoever? That's because, it's likely to NOT even be Epona, therefore, this new blue garbed hero can't be Link but possibly a predecessor to him hence why they look similar but at the same time, differ from each other much like Hylia and her re-incarnation, Zelda.

So there you have it, new blue garbed is NOT Link and his horse is NOT Epona.

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
Soo many different interpretations of the very little footage we have seen can arise. It's impossible to determine anything at this point, and though I agree it's fun to speculate, there's not nearly enough to go on at the moment.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
What part of this:
don't you understand? Aonuma said that in reply to this question:
I'm sorry but you obviously don't understand the term confirmation. If Aonuma confirmed it wasn't Link he would have said just that. He instead, didn't confirm it was Link. There is a huge difference between the two. Confirmation = a statement that is 100% true - did he 100% say this isn't Link? No, he is saying it might not be Link basically, which is why everyone is discussing it. Notice how every headline ends with a question mark when discussing this topic... Aonuma has stated an open question of sorts; however you've interpreted it wrongly as a fact. It's not a fact, this could be Link or it couldn't; it's as simple as that.

Notice how that horse doesn't resemble Epona at all whatsoever? That's because, it's likely to NOT even be Epona, therefore, this new blue garbed hero can't be Link but possibly a predecessor to him hence why they look similar but at the same time, differ from each other much like Hylia and her re-incarnation, Zelda.
Your argument summed up: the horse doesn't look like Epona = not Link. Link is wearing something different than his typical green grabs = not Link.

See the extreme generalisation here? Who's to say Link can't ride a different horse? Who's to say Epona has maybe changed in appearance? Epona isn't reborn as Link is, she is just a horse who Link has a certain, special, bond with. Epona from Ocarina of Time is different to Epona from Twilight Princess. The logical example for why they share physical resemblance is most likely down to what breed of horse Epona is (if we want to get technical here, lol).

Plus how does what he's wearing have to do with him not being Link? Link has wore non traditional clothing before - may I remind you of Twilight Princess? Skyward Sword? Hell this clothing seen here bears strong similarities to what Wind Waker Link wore at the beginning of the game, does that mean that he's not Link? See what I mean here, you can't 100% confirm something that I'd a fact. Look I get your argument and it's a good one, but it's not a fact, for now it's up for speculation until later confirmed.

VitaTempusN92

I'm sorry but you obviously don't understand the term confirmation. If Aonuma confirmed it wasn't Link he would have said just that. He instead, didn't confirm it was Link. There is a huge difference between the two. Confirmation = a statement that is 100% true - did he 100% say this isn't Link? No, he is saying it might not be Link basically, which is why everyone is discussing it. Notice how every headline ends with a question mark when discussing this topic... Aonuma has stated an open question of sorts; however you've interpreted it wrongly as a fact. It's not a fact, this could be Link or it couldn't; it's as simple as that.

Your argument summed up: the horse doesn't look like Epona = not Link. Link is wearing something different than his typical green grabs = not Link.

See the extreme generalisation here? Who's to say Link can't ride a different horse? Who's to say Epona has maybe changed in appearance? Epona isn't reborn as Link is, she is just a horse who Link has a certain, special, bond with. Epona from Ocarina of Time is different to Epona from Twilight Princess. The logical example for why they share physical resemblance is most likely down to what breed of horse Epona is (if we want to get technical here, lol).

Plus how does what he's wearing have to do with him not being Link? Link has wore non traditional clothing before - may I remind you of Twilight Princess? Skyward Sword? Hell this clothing seen here bears strong similarities to what Wind Waker Link wore at the beginning of the game, does that mean that he's not Link? See what I mean here, you can't 100% confirm something that I'd a fact. Look I get your argument and it's a good one, but it's not a fact, for now it's up for speculation until later confirmed.

The point is, whenever Nintendo shows off a new Zelda that stars Link, they always usually show him with his "hero" garb first then his "before-hero" garb later. Also, note that in the scene we saw in the trailer, this new Link-like figure is already starting his adventure due him already having a progressed inventory at the time. By that point, normally with a Link incarnate, Link would already have his green garb by this point, so therefore, that being noted and how Aonuma answered that one question, we can confirm a reasonably strong 90% chance that this new hero is NOT Link but perhaps a predecessor to Link or even a far distant future successor to Link. All I can say here is it's pretty obvious that this new hero can't be Link, unless if it's a reboot of the series and that this Link's new design as this may be the "New Link".

Anyways, you can believe what you want cause we have that right to believe what we want don't we?

The point is, whenever Nintendo shows off a new Zelda that stars Link, they always usually show him with his "hero" garb first then his "before-hero" garb later. Also, note that in the scene we saw in the trailer, this new Link-like figure is already starting his adventure due him already having a progressed inventory at the time. By that point, normally with a Link incarnate, Link would already have his green garb by this point, so therefore, that being noted and how Aonuma answered that one question, we can confirm a reasonably strong 90% chance that this new hero is NOT Link but perhaps a predecessor to Link or even a far distant future successor to Link. All I can say here is it's pretty obvious that this new hero can't be Link, unless if it's a reboot of the series and that this Link's new design as this may be the "New Link".

Anyways, you can believe what you want cause we have that right to believe what we want don't we?

First of all as justac00l guy mentioned, the figure isn't confirmed as not being Link, but at the same time it hasn't been confirmed that he is either. Keep in mind that each iteration of Zelda has historically been different from any in the past. For that reason, discrepancies in the titles can be accounted for the fact that it's a vastly different game. You mention that he lacks the traditional outfit of the Hero and you'd be correct to point out that it appears strange that despite this, he still owns the bow and a number of weapons and tools at his disposal. This still doesn't mean that this scene is taken from the middle of the game however. One of the new ideas being explored with this iteration of a Zelda game is the emphasis on exploration and having an open world. For this reason it may be a new decision to give access to the bow and some other equipment early in the story to allow more exploration at the beginning of the game. Just because he's not currently donning the garb of the hero doesn't mean he doesn't acquire it within this game. Although Aonuma did hint that this may not be the hero we've all become familiar with, he didn't deny it either. This comment could have been to imply that this trailer isn't as simple as we would initially expect from a Zelda trailer, or it could just be Aonuma trying to keep people second guessing themselves about how similar the game is to previous installments. I would say that stating a drastic 90% chance of this character Not being Link is incredibly hyperbolic due to the similarities between this character and past iterations of our hero. I can't confirm that this character is Link any more than you can confirm it isn't. In the end time will tell and more will be revealed to support one claim or another. As you said everyone has the right to believe whichever side of the argument they desire, but you did enter this thread claiming with complete confidence that the character released within the trailer wasn't Link. This resulted in backlash not because the theory doesn't have some backing or that it is completely inaccurate but is a reaction due to you giving out misleading information.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
VitaTempusN92 said:
Yeah man that's exactly what I was saying. It could be Link, or it could be a completely different character who is connected to Link somehow like how you said. It's up in the air really, I just wanted to say that nothing's confirmed at the moment.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I hate people who think that quote says "that's not Link." Learn to read... No one said it was Link, but no one said it wasn't either.

Fig

The Altruist
Alright I put this off long enough and I thought perhaps I should say what I have in mind when it comes to the main focus on this thread. Hopefully I may clear some thoughts or better yet, interpret my point of view in a different light.

1. Link's origin - Zelda had Hylia, and Ganondorf had Demise. They are technically separate characters, but were caused because of that deity. SS Prequel.

While Zelda and Ganondorf do originate from Hylia and Demise respectively, I don't think that's the case for Link. Zelda and Ganondorf are both able to use magical powers that what seems they have been known to have since the very beginning. And before you say "Well Link also can use fire, ice, etc.", he most certainly can...with the help from an item that is. We see Zelda and Ganondorf use magic that is generated from their bodies but we never see Link do so. He has to be using an item in order to gain the effect of using fire. And to take it one step further, I bring you Fire Mario. Now most people if not all will say "Mario uses an item in order to throw fireballs", while that may be true, Mario is able to physically generate enough energy from his own hands to make fire come out of his hands. So really the only way for Link to be considered to have fire magic is if he is able to generate energy to create fire from his very being, something we have never seen in the Zelda franchise.

Going back to the first few statements of the first paragraph above, though Zelda and Ganondorf have origins, Link does not. This is because unlike Zelda and Ganondorf, Link is mortal in the sense that he didn't have a higher deity that he originated from. In fact, I am willing to argue that the origin of Link and his future incarnations being once we gather all three pieces of the Triforce near the end of Skyward Sword. Also if this were a SS prequel, that means the game must focus on the origins of Skyloft, Hylia and Demise, and no Master Sword will be prominent in this installment. I don't believe that will be the case since if you look in the trailer we can see the area is very well established and if you observe carefully, you could see what appears to be Hyrule Castle or Castle Town, the area that Link and Zelda from SS were meant to colonize when they stayed in The Surface at the every end of SS. So with that stated, I don't think this will be a SS prequel.

2. WW Link's origin - WW Link was said to have no connection to the past hero, Adult Timeline had no Link during the great flood, meaning this person would be some new hero trying to save the land. Notice the shirt. WW Prequel.

I can never understand why people would automatically assume that one game in the Zelda franchise has to coincide with another simply because of what Link or other characters wear that similarly resemble another character's clothing in a different game. The reason why it can't be a prequel to Wind Waker is simply The Great Flood that was mentioned in WW's backstory.

The Wind Waker's Backstory said:
Long ago, there existed a kingdom where a golden power lay hidden. One day, a man of great evil found this power and took it for himself, and with it at his command, he spread darkness across the kingdom. But then...just as all hope had died, a young boy clothed in green appeared as if from nowhere. Wielding a blade that repelled evil, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This boy, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the hero of time. This boy's tale was passed down through the generations until it became legend.
And then a day came when a fell wind began to blow across the kingdom, and the great evil once again crept forth from the depths of the earth. The people believed that the hero of time would come again to save them, but the hero did not appear...

What became of that kingdom...? None remain who know. The memory of the kingdom vanished, but it's legend survived on the wind's breath.

On a certain island, it became customary to garb young boys in green when they come of age. Clothed in the green of fields, they aspire to find heroic blades and cast evil down. The elders wish only for the youths to know courage like the hero of legend...

Noticed the section that I underlined? Judging from the wording of the text, it seems the people of the golden land, Hyrule, were dependent on the Hero of Time returning to defeat the great evil. This leads me to believe that the Hero of Time was the only one capable of defeating the great evil. Given the fact that The Master Sword is the only way to kill Ganondorf, this makes sense and thus means that no one within Hyrule stood up to Ganondorf, and thus The 3 Goddesses had to flood the land to prevent Ganondorf from achieving ultimate power. So if this game were to be a WW prequel, that means there is no Master Sword throughout the course of the game and despite what the player does throughout the game, Ganondorf will be victorious and The Great Flood will be the last event to take place in the game, leading up for Wind Waker to begin but seeing how Nintendo doesn't allow the bad guys to win, I highly doubt that will happen in this game.

3. Hero of Men - No hat, Hero of Men could've never been Link at all. U Protag has their hair in a ponytail, when undone it could look similar to the Hero of Men's long hair. Minish Cap Prequel.

Out of the three theories that you had in, I think this would make the most sense and even then there's a bit of flaws in your theories. First starters, you automatically assumed that it is a Minish Cap Prequel simply because Link wasn't shown with his hat. That means with that logic, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword should technically be prequels to Minish Cap simply because Link doesn't start with a hat but that's not the case. As far as the ponytail concept, it's plausible but I do believe the reason why Link has a ponytail is because he has long hair from the front and with him using his bow and arrow this makes sense as he would need a perfect viewpoint in order to shoot better. We don't know how long Link's hair would be if he were to undo his ponytail, but I personally believe this game will take place between Skyward Sword and Minish Cap but I wouldn't say that it is a Minish Cap prequel if that makes any sense. If it were to be a Minish Cap prequel that means the Four Sword will have to be a focal point at one point in the game in order for it to count as a Minish Cap prequel.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Noticed the section that I underlined? Judging from the wording of the text, it seems the people of the golden land, Hyrule, were dependent on the Hero of Time returning to defeat the great evil. This leads me to believe that the Hero of Time was the only one capable of defeating the great evil. Given the fact that The Master Sword is the only way to kill Ganondorf, this makes sense and thus means that no one within Hyrule stood up to Ganondorf, and thus The 3 Goddesses had to flood the land to prevent Ganondorf from achieving ultimate power. So if this game were to be a WW prequel, that means there is no Master Sword throughout the course of the game and despite what the player does throughout the game, Ganondorf will be victorious and The Great Flood will be the last event to take place in the game, leading up for Wind Waker to begin but seeing how Nintendo doesn't allow the bad guys to win, I highly doubt that will happen in this game.

First, in Wind waker when you pull the master sword from its pedestal and confront Ganondorf he said it was used as a key to seal him and his magic, by link removing the sword he broke the seal. Seeing as Link is the only one who can use or hold the sword, for ganondorfs magic to have been sealed before the flood happened there HAD to be a link.

Link would not have been able to kill Ganondorf with the sword though before the flood. Why? Because Ganondorf murdered the sages and caused the blade to no longer function.

The people believed that the hero of time would come again to save them, but the hero did not appear...

Hyrule was flooded, only a handful of people were saved. Despite link doing heroic deeds and orchestrating the sealing of Ganondorf below the waves, he would not have been called a hero, not many would have known of his deeds and though some would have kept their lives, they would not have been that grateful towards link, at least not to the extent to call him a hero. The land was still flooded leaving the survivors with nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom